BW94Xgt.jpg

One of the first ever water buffalo overlay horizontal sheaths:

mYsuLd6.jpg

And the other:

AlgXzfo.jpg

VRbDyog.jpg

ITFh1vN.jpg

Whacha been up to?
I’ve been meaning to ask; what finish do you use on most of your work to obtain that beautiful natural/orangish color?

I’ve been meaning to ask; what finish do you use on most of your work to obtain that beautiful natural/orangish color?
Thats the number one question I get asked on my IG page, is how do you get that color? Most of it has to do the leather I use. I use almost exclusively but not quite Wicket and Craig russet 8/10 oz skirting leather in their russet color.. This is a tannery drum dyed leather. After the project is done I will give it a light coat of warmed up pure neatsfoot oil, not neatsfoot compound, applied with a scrap of sheepskin. After the oil has set (with sheaths and holster, usually overnight), I will applyFiebings BagKote. I was turned onto this finish (although I was already using its cousin TanKote), by a friend who got it from another friend. I really like this finish as it gives leather a leather look, not plastic looking. Thats pretty much it. On larger projects say a rifle scabbard I use a paste conditioner, Oakwood as the finish. I tend to get some streaking on larger projects with BagKote so started using the Oakwood instead. G2 suggested using an airbrush with larger projects to apply a finish and I don't see any reason that that wouldn't work. I just don't have any experience with an airbrush and the Oakwood does work.

I also will use the Wicket and Craig chestnut skirting. The more I use the more I like it. It seems to have an old timey look to it. Same leather just a different color and I finish it the same way.

Russet:

65cm0uG.jpg

Chestnut:

Kkby1H6.jpg

Very, very nice work on your sheath!

I haven’t posted here in a while. I spent most of my leatherwork time making wallets and the like. I’m getting back into knife sheaths and recently just tried a Finnish style sheath for a Mora Classic. I made this one without a belt loop as it will just get tossed in a pack. They are fun to make, I’m trying to figure out the best way to sew etc.

cRXmmND.jpg

8cLtDuF.jpg

EuqlEqd.jpg

udB3ec0.jpg

h9sBWYn.jpg
Very nice job on this sheath!!

A few knives and sheaths as well as a few scabbards:

A Poco:

plIwnA1.jpg

zRUrtuT.jpg

HSztPky.jpg

A Cowboy Toothpick:

lIlR1Ig.jpg

CmnJn7D.jpg

88xkxgZ.jpg

And a Vaquero:

xXH5sXu.jpg

klERWtp.jpg

9SNUcRZ.jpg

The Scabbards:

Tooled and dyed intials with Carlos border stamp:

aga9JaI.jpg

XK4gwZq.jpg

qC68Soq.jpg

Roughout with a large border stamp:

h4f5XOF.jpg

79JAlsQ.jpg

yVMOEi4.jpg

Basket stamped. This one is for stock. Been a long time since I made one for stock and basket stamping is not a normal option either. Nichole say's it should be.

ilS52tq.jpg

No sense stamping the whole thing cause in the center is where the fender and stirrup of the saddle will lay:

wfAoGZh.jpg

XWdzoVF.jpg

zaCb1yX.jpg

Whacha been up to?

I haven’t posted here in a while. I spent most of my leatherwork time making wallets and the like. I’m getting back into knife sheaths and recently just tried a Finnish style sheath for a Mora Classic. I made this one without a belt loop as it will just get tossed in a pack. They are fun to make, I’m trying to figure out the best way to sew etc.

cRXmmND.jpg

8cLtDuF.jpg

EuqlEqd.jpg

udB3ec0.jpg

h9sBWYn.jpg

Beautiful work!

You might consider a slightly larger opening on that lesta the next time around, should make the blade easier to sheath.

I've come to the realization that my needles are too thick, especially for thinner leathers.

I'm curious what kind of needles you fine folks use for stitching up something in .8mm thread?

John James Saddler’s Harness Needles.

Thanks for weighing in :) Is there a specific size I should be looking for? I've been using tandy needles and while they are indeed unbreakable, they are really slowing me down... and I use pretty thick stitching prongs too.

Finished a couple holsters. this one was for a neighbor, Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace lazer.

yYEcPvk.jpg

miVFWlX.jpg

And this one is for me, I already had a holster for it but I recently added a Sig Lima lazer to it so had to make another to fit the lazer, Sig 365X. I've been wearing this for a few days now so it shows a little wear.

UooDZb0.jpg

jIH9LZY.jpg

Finished a couple holsters. this one was for a neighbor, Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace lazer.

yYEcPvk.jpg

miVFWlX.jpg

And this one is for me, I already had a holster for it but I recently added a Sig Lima lazer to it so had to make another to fit the lazer, Sig 365X. I've been wearing this for a few days now so it shows a little wear.

UooDZb0.jpg

jIH9LZY.jpg

Nice.job!!!👍

yYEcPvk.jpg

miVFWlX.jpg

UooDZb0.jpg

jIH9LZY.jpg
Very nice work. Well thought out and executed. Those lasers can sure throw off the space time continuum in holster making.

Back