Whacha Been Up To......

I have been working on some bags for awhile now. Nice change from holsters, sheaths, cases , etc. Lacking a sewing machine or bell skiver, I had to come up with some process tricks to pull them off. The sewing is not too difficult but the skiving is a whole different thing. The darker bag is Crazy Horse and not too difficult with french edgers. The light colored one is a unique Herman Oak leather called Expedition and it is tough to skive. It took me 3 hours to get the skiving done on it. Still, it is possible.
I know people that think you cannot make bags without machines. It is a challenge but can be done.
Randy

H1P4adA.jpg

4mHF5CY.jpg

blDDl1Y.jpg

rVj03BQ.jpg

vvyxCtu.jpg

H5Cqehu.jpg

I have been working on some bags for awhile now. Nice change from holsters, sheaths, cases , etc. Lacking a sewing machine or bell skiver, I had to come up with some process tricks to pull them off. The sewing is not too difficult but the skiving is a whole different thing. The darker bag is Crazy Horse and not too difficult with french edgers. The light colored one is a unique Herman Oak leather called Expedition and it is tough to skive. It took me 3 hours to get the skiving done on it. Still, it is possible.
I know people that think you cannot make bags without machines. It is a challenge but can be done.
Randy

H1P4adA.jpg

4mHF5CY.jpg

blDDl1Y.jpg

rVj03BQ.jpg

vvyxCtu.jpg

H5Cqehu.jpg

Amazing work! But holy hell that looks like a massive undertaking.

Randy

H1P4adA.jpg

4mHF5CY.jpg

blDDl1Y.jpg

rVj03BQ.jpg

vvyxCtu.jpg

H5Cqehu.jpg

Classy!!!!!!

Pat yourself on the back!!!!

Great job!!!!!!!!

Wow those are fantastic Randy! Beautiful work Been there with the skiving but man thats a lot of hand sewing! Excellent!
Thanks Dave. I have a pretty good rhythm with the hand sewing so it does not take as long as you might think. I kind of use it for therapy. On the other hand, the skiving is anything but therapy.

Thanks Dave. I have a pretty good rhythm with the hand sewing so it does not take as long as you might think. I kind of use it for therapy. On the other hand, the skiving is anything but therapy.

It really is weirdly therapeutic and absorbing. I usually listen to podcasts while I sew.

Gotcha. I once hand sewed a pair of shotgun chaps. Now that was silly, specially since I had a friend that was a saddlemaker and he had a big Ferdco Bull sitting in his shop a few miles away. Some long straight shots on a pair of shotguns on the zippers:

yL8e1Ip.jpg

Your work there on those bags is superb my friend

this is the last time these pieces of leather will be separate- glue up is the next step!
AeB6kGO.jpg

That's really clean leather work you do, unique as well :) I'm curious, are you tansferring those holes or drilling them?

Keeping busy:

Seems like I'm always building a handful of these. They are belt sheaths for Leatherman Waves:

gLcYzxB.jpg

Been cold in the shop. Suppose to be spring around here:

lx2PZPJ.jpg

A batch of sheaths being edged and then ready to be wet molded. Doesn't look it but 19 sheaths in that pic.

kT0hUGK.jpg

All done. I also let the temp of the knives and sheaths equalize like this when moving them from the shop to the house. Prevents condensation on the blades and on the inside of the sheaths.

Ptn8MJC.jpg

Then they are all done. 15 knives total.

OEoCuGr.jpg

7dsFXhE.jpg

ykYBbxW.jpg

CDwwPHY.jpg

rv6zNYQ.jpg

kw4syMU.jpg

OkN0Dd2.jpg

qp8Pibh.jpg

k2WSmFm.jpg

Showed in a horse show too, first time in like 35 years or something. We did good, specially since it was Spudniks first time going to town.

HioyGXB.jpg

Whcha been up to?

Keeping busy:

Seems like I'm always building a handful of these. They are belt sheaths for Leatherman Waves:

gLcYzxB.jpg

lx2PZPJ.jpg

A batch of sheaths being edged and then ready to be wet molded. Doesn't look it but 19 sheaths in that pic.

kT0hUGK.jpg

All done. I also let the temp of the knives and sheaths equalize like this when moving them from the shop to the house. Prevents condensation on the blades and on the inside of the sheaths.

Ptn8MJC.jpg

OEoCuGr.jpg

7dsFXhE.jpg

ykYBbxW.jpg

CDwwPHY.jpg

rv6zNYQ.jpg

kw4syMU.jpg

OkN0Dd2.jpg

qp8Pibh.jpg

k2WSmFm.jpg

Showed in a horse show too, first time in like 35 years or something. We did good, specially since it was Spudniks first time going to town.

HioyGXB.jpg

Whcha been up to?

As always, beautiful work..👍👍👍

Keeping busy:

gLcYzxB.jpg

lx2PZPJ.jpg

kT0hUGK.jpg

Ptn8MJC.jpg

OEoCuGr.jpg

7dsFXhE.jpg

ykYBbxW.jpg

CDwwPHY.jpg

rv6zNYQ.jpg

kw4syMU.jpg

OkN0Dd2.jpg

qp8Pibh.jpg

k2WSmFm.jpg

HioyGXB.jpg

Whcha been up to?
Great looking batch of knives. The Ranchero always appeals to me. I’m not in the market right now. But one day I’d like to have one with the ram’s horn scales. Good for you and Subnik getting out there.

Great looking batch of knives. The Ranchero always appeals to me. I’m not in the market right now. But one day I’d like to have one with the ram’s horn scales. Good for you and Subnik getting out there.
Yeah thats a particularly nice one, that Ranchero. Its got the best hamon I've seen in a while. That's the funny thing ya never know with a hamon how its going to turn out. Do everything exactly the same and........completely different. Thanks it was fun. We were in the Ranch Trail class. The show was held at a large equestrian center not too far away. Spud was very intrigued by a Dressage lesson that was going on in that arena to our left. I was quite happy with our performance in the class.

Back