What to carry when a knife is prohibited?

what do you carry in situations where knives are prohibited ?

A knifeless multitool, such as a custom knifeless SAK build. I've made several. I also made a couple of knifeless leatherman juices and a knifeless leatherman squirt.

Leatherman sells a knifeless version of the rebar, and victorinox sells a knifeless 58mm SAK called the jetsetter. Gerber also sells a knifeless pliers based multitool.

I probably should have elaborated when I asked this question. I am thinking about a situation where I need to participate (such as flying or taking a train, entering a courtroom) and would have to pass through a metal detector. In those cases I've been carrying an assortment of screwdrivers mini-pry bars, folding scissors etc.... typically all attached to a single key ring and have never been stopped. The only problem is that these assortments are often bulky and that's why I am seeking alternatives that would comprise a group of potentially useful, legally acceptable pocket tools. Perhaps the bladeless versions of multi-tools as mentioned above are the simplest solution and I should just purchase one of those. Thanks to you who have replied with helpful suggestions and I will appreciate any additional thoughts.

I would either get a knifeless rebar or if you prefer the options on another multitool get that and remove the knife or turn the knife into a pry tool or screwdriver.

I personally got tired of carrying a leatherman juice into some government buildings I occasionally work in due to the 2.5" blade limit, so I chopped the blades down on my leatherman surge to less than 2.5" (wharncliff to boot) so now I can take my main awesome multitool with me into any job. I carry a dedicated folder in a supersteel for my main blade so the multitool blades are for backup/abuse. Thankfully for me when I show up to fix elevators in courthouses they always bypass me around metal detectors and don't care I have a pocket knife/multitool. If I had to go full knifeless it would certainly be a knifeless rebar or I'd buy another surge and pull or modify the blades.

Don't forget a flashlight, you can take a flashlight anywhere.

I would either get a knifeless rebar or if you prefer the options on another multitool get that and remove the knife or turn the knife into a pry tool or screwdriver.

I personally got tired of carrying a leatherman juice into some government buildings I occasionally work in due to the 2.5" blade limit, so I chopped the blades down on my leatherman surge to less than 2.5" (wharncliff to boot) so now I can take my main awesome multitool with me into any job. I carry a dedicated folder in a supersteel for my main blade so the multitool blades are for backup/abuse. Thankfully for me when I show up to fix elevators in courthouses they always bypass me around metal detectors and don't care I have a pocket knife/multitool. If I had to go full knifeless it would certainly be a knifeless rebar or I'd buy another surge and pull or modify the blades.

Don't forget a flashlight, you can take a flashlight anywhere.
Don't forget a flashlight, you can take a flashlight anywhere
And, in my old age, I must admit that I use my pocket flashlight many more times per day than whatever pocketknife I’m carrying.☹️

Alox or nah?
My Mini Champ is in classic RED Cellidor. 😍🥰😁👍
I "need" the retractable ballpoint pen (even tho I hate that eye searing "ballpoint blue" ink color ... 🤨) and multi purpose "toothpick" side tools.
(I swapped in the toothpick, benching the NO GRIP atoll, atoll SAK tweezers for the duration of the game.)

Lack of side tools pretty much eliminates my intrest in the ALOX and Wood handled versions.
They can also be lacking in the useful back tools found on the Cellidor and Nylon handled versions. 🤔

The most useful tool has already been mentioned twice, namely the bladeless Rebar. There's also the Vic Jetsetter, or if you have the tools/access to a maker space, get a Rambler and cut off the blade, making it what the Jetsetter should have been in the first place. Just my $1.05 ($0.02, adjusted for current inflation as $1T is added to the economy every 100 days).

I probably should have elaborated when I asked this question. I am thinking about a situation where I need to participate (such as flying or taking a train, entering a courtroom) and would have to pass through a metal detector. In those cases I've been carrying an assortment of screwdrivers mini-pry bars, folding scissors etc.... typically all attached to a single key ring and have never been stopped. The only problem is that these assortments are often bulky and that's why I am seeking alternatives that would comprise a group of potentially useful, legally acceptable pocket tools. Perhaps the bladeless versions of multi-tools as mentioned above are the simplest solution and I should just purchase one of those. Thanks to you who have replied with helpful suggestions and I will appreciate any additional thoughts.
I still don't know what is your main reason for carrying a multi-tool. And there may be different reasons depending on context/situation. If you need something to trim hair and tighten the occasional screw, then the Vic Jetsetter mentioned above is a great choice. Depending on the security level, a Swiss Tech Utili-Key can also be a good choice when carried together with the rest of the keys. If you want something that could be used for self-defense, then I suggest carrying a good, sturdy pen. I avoid "tactical pens", because the "tactical" look draws unwanted scrutiny; something like a Zebra F701 or even a Parker Jotter.

Outside of going into the courthouse (I'm one of those fools who responds to a jury summons) I just carry a knife. Barring that circumstance, if I can't have a pocket knife, I don't need to be there.

Depending on the security level, a Swiss Tech Utili-Key can also be a good choice when carried together with the rest of the keys.

Those are no longer being made. All you can find now are phony knock-offs of inferior quality. They're still being made in china for some strange reason even though they were discontinued years ago.

I collected them for a while, so I've seen all kinds of fake ones. I have a few of the original made in USA ones (the quality is much higher on these compared to the ones that were made after they moved manufacturing overseas), and a couple of the bladeless versions with the finger nail file. If you have a simple bench vise then there is also a trick to tighten up an older one which has become loose over time.

The clones are garbage. The phillips driver is useless on them, and they're too loose. The pivot isn't tight enough. If you're familiar with the utilikey, then you can tell the real ones apart from the clones easily enough just by looking at them, so if you really want one then you could study up on the tell-tale signs of a clone and get a genuine one off of ebay.

If you want something that could be used for self-defense, then I suggest carrying a good, sturdy pen. I avoid "tactical pens", because the "tactical" look draws unwanted scrutiny; something like a Zebra F701 or even a Parker Jotter.

I've been discovering lately that a flashlight makes a great self defense weapon if you know how to use it for that. First thing you want to do of course is turn it on and shine it in the aggressor's eyes. It gives you a huge advantage if they can't see you clearly, and it's faster and safer to use than pepper spray.

All depends on what I think I might need, and what I am willing to carry. If I'm working, I carry what I "Need" for my work, even if I have to adapt a bit and the tools are not the perfect ones. Shorty high strength scissors, small flat bars or a mini saw. I'm a "spirit of the rules" guy when I'm enforcing them, but I'm a "letter of the law" guy more often when I need to get work done. After that, just gotta live life.

Back