What's your Cold Steel EDC today?

BbAysIX.png

I have been carrying my Spartan almost every day since bought it a couple of weeks ago. I'm not tired of it, just wanted a change. I missed my The Black Talon, so here it is, I'm EDCing it today again.

The handle is black of course, but my shitty camera turned it into a beautiful dark teal; it looks so cool that I would pay some extra $$$ for a colour like that.

gIL8oNh.png

cvYTxPv.png

I have been carrying my Spartan almost every day since bought it a couple of weeks ago. I'm not tired of it, just wanted a change. I missed my The Black Talon, so here it is, I'm EDCing it today again.

The handle is black of course, but my shitty camera turned it into a beautiful dark teal; it looks so cool that I would pay some extra $$$ for a colour like that.

gIL8oNh.png

cvYTxPv.png
How do you like that beast for EDC? My retailer has the plain edge variant on for a good price right now.

How do you like that beast for EDC? My retailer has the plain edge variant on for a good price right now.
I can't speak for him but my plain edge talon 2 carries wonderful. If you haven't used them the only thing to be aware of is closing them. The tip comes out past the end of the handle as it swings into place. Some people slice themselves rather badly not paying attention.

I can't speak for him but my plain edge talon 2 carries wonderful. If you haven't used them the only thing to be aware of is closing them. The tip comes out past the end of the handle as it swings into place. Some people slice themselves rather badly not paying attention.
That is good information to know. Thank you!

I can't speak for him but my plain edge talon 2 carries wonderful.

+1

If you haven't used them the only thing to be aware of is closing them. The tip comes out past the end of the handle as it swings into place. Some people slice themselves rather badly not paying attention.

This is so true! And I learned it the hard way 😆

I wrote my initial thoughts some time ago, here they are:

Yes, the ominous Black Talon! Actually, I like it! Initial thoughts:
  • It is exceptionally well-made, no hint of blade play or something. It just feels great in my hand.
  • You can use it as a utility knife, it opens boxes, cuts ropes, shreds cardboard or destroys plastic bottles really well!
  • One of the reviewers on Youtube said that this knife is pretty dangerous and it will bite you whenever it can — this is true: the triad lock creates a strong tension, and every time you fold the knife the spring closes it with a lot of strength, so it can guillotine your fingers, be careful! It's a good idea to close the blade holding it with two fingers — I learned this lesson after cutting my fingers a couple of times.
  • The wave opening mechanism works very well, much better than that of Kershaw CQC4K that I own
  • It opens quite well, I can flick it open with my thumb only without any wrist movement (well, I still make a slight wrist movement)
  • You can even, with some practice, turn it into a centrifugal knife as it can be opened with an outwardly fast and energetic flick of the wrist.

What else? Feel free to ask any questions, I'm here :)

Yeah, feel free to ask!

Differences between Black Talon plain and serrated? Good question, we can discuss it. In principle, I think that the plain edge is much more practical for EDC, serrations put a limit to what you can cut.

P. S. My Cold Steel next-up list includes 1) Spartan, 2) Voyager XL (Vaquero??? maybe), and possibly 3) Marauder.
Spartan is already off the list :D

N not so dull A few more questions (since you said it was cool): Which blade steel do you have there? Does this knife have liners? Is the blade shape tough to sharpen? Cheers for all the info so far!

N not so dull A few more questions (since you said it was cool):
No problem at all, feel free to ask more! :)

Which blade steel do you have there?
S35VN

Does this knife have liners?
I'm not sure I know what it means 🥵

Is the blade shape tough to sharpen?
I have no idea 😆 I assume it is really hard to sharpen those serrations. I heard that Lansky has some sharpeners specifically for Cold Steel's serrations.

Cheers for all the info so far!
No problemo!

It would be interesting to compare two Black Talons, plain and serrated, side by side.

vO0M7J7.jpg

A recurve can be a challenge, but not if you take-your-time. I'd imagine a serrated Black Talon would require a dedicated Lanksy stone for the purpose.
I'll probably opt for a plain-edge version, when the time for acquisition comes.

Back