Your first knife

What do you remember about your first knife? And was there an activity or event assigned to it? I'll go first.

My first knife was a Victorinox swiss army knife, model unknown, my dad bought it for me and said it was only for when we go backpacking/camping --- and so "it" began

They (my parents) asked what I wanted for my sixth birthday. I said a pocket knife. A co worker of my Dads gave him a SAK to give me.

Here it is with my second knife a Boy Scout Camillus whittler, and my Dad’s first knife a Dwight Devine BSA Camp knife.

view

Buck 303. My grandfather took me to the hardware store to get a knife on my 10th birthday. He and my pops were Case men, so I of course wanted the Buck. Carried one everyday ( except for a 301 now and then) for 40 years after that.

It was probably some brass bolstered Camillus folder, with a clip point and a crosscut saw that got a lot of use. I got it when I was around 12-13 and lost it when I was 18, when the KFS pouch it was in on my webbing tore off on some brush during training. I honestly thought it was a Buck variant and could never track it down, until I went to the Buck forum and got some help to narrow down what it might have been.

I suspect the occasion that moved my dad to buying me the knife was him getting tired of me constantly asking to borrow a knife, when I was in need of a sharp and pointy tool.

I stabbed my neighbor Alison and buried her with it. I was 7.

I later reclaimed the knife while listening to the misfits "Dig up her bones."

Ok ok in seriousness my great uncle gave me a Wenger Nomad for my 7th birthday. Great knife, it went missing 7 years ago.

I later reclaimed the knife while listening to the misfits "Dig up her bones."
I'm a Danzig guy but 'Dig Up Her Bones' is my favourite Misfits song. Now I must go listen to it!

As for thread relevance, my grandfather gave me a no-name camp knife with bail and jigged bone handle scales when I was 12. I'd do almost anything to have that knife back in my collection. Misplaced it many years ago...

Probably an Imperial pen knife from my grandfather back in the latish 1950's. He was a machinist at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and got me hooked on knives at a tender age.
Always had a knife in his pocket, and always showed me how to use it properly.

I'm a Danzig guy but 'Dig Up Her Bones' is my favourite Misfits song. Now I must go listen to it!

As for thread relevance, my grandfather gave me a no-name camp knife with bail and jigged bone handle scales when I was 12. I'd do almost anything to have that knife back in my collection. Misplaced it many years ago...
My dad had a puma slipjoint knife in a ugly green plastic box, it was a gift to him from a friend and he gave it to me after I got my first job, I think he just needed an excuse, any really, to gift it to me, unfortunately I don't have it anymore

Mine was a Victorinox Spartan that's branded with the women's fashion brand St John's. As a child, I would tag along with my grandmother on her trips proxy shopping for someone else (long story) and the sales rep there would sometimes give me juice, snacks, etc for being a quiet, patient little boy. Apparently one time she gave me this knife, which I used extensively in the boy scouts.

I still have that knife. My second one, and the first I bought for myself, was a Gerber Paraframe. I tossed that one once I did some more research and discovered better options.

My first knife was some unbranded button stiletto switchblade that I traded some skateboard parts for.
My favorite memory of that blade was when my grandparents took me, my brother, and two cousins cross country to Massachusetts from So. Cal.

We were in Washington DC site seeing and my grandparents didn't want to pay for food, so they brought out a cooler and started to make sandwiches, my grandmother needed to slice some cheese and couldn't find a knife, so she asked me for my knife!
I gave her the knife and said be careful but before I could finish talking she proceeded to push the button, out came the blade and started slicing.
I thought my grandma was pretty cool after that.

Mine was a SAK that had the Boy Scouts of America logo on it. My uncle gave it to me for Christmas. I believe I was about 10 years old. I thought I was so cool having a pocket knife like my father. Before Christmas Day was over I had cut my thumb. 🤣

The first one I can remember I was about 10 and there was a corner store that had some folders on a display hung on a wall, typical 60s cardboard back ground with colorful pictures of Boy Scouts, I don't remember what brand it was but it so cool, I had my own knife, only being a little kid I remember having to beg the women behind the counter to sell it to me, took a few trips up a few blocks past the big kids to that store before she gave in ~ lol

I rock with Danzig and Samhain too. Speaking of Danzig...

Growing up there was a gravestone that said "mother" in the forest at the back of our property line. As middle schoolers my friends and I would dare each other to walk back there holding my boombox playing Danzig's "mother."

My second knife was an Imperial lockback I found in the field across from our previous house, I was maybe 9. I lost it when I was in high school.

My dad gave me a large Case lockback in 1991 for my 12th birthday. I still have it, it's pretty worn.

A single drop point slip joint with light wood scales and a single brass booster they used to sell for $1 in a display in the sporting goods department of K-Mart, it was a Christmas gift from my grandmother when I was 6 or 7. I later purchased a few more of the same knife because they were cheap enough for me to afford as a small child and worked well for my kid uses. They also offered a Barlow with plastic scales I always meant to buy but never did. I think I still have one in my things somewhere.
P.S. the good old days of the 1980's when a 8 year old could buy a knife by himself at a department store.

Definitely not my “first” knife, as I know I acquired a few old Pakistani Buck-style lockback knockoffs and not actually Swiss SAK-style knives beforehand, but I do remember my first knife purchase.

I was probably 11 or thereabouts, and my parents and I were visiting St. Augustine, Florida in winter. We trapsed into a touristy shop filled with historical and/or pseudo-historically themed edged weapons. There, I selected a super cheap German youth type knife, with a molded plastic handle adorned with a diamond shaped badge (bearing some nondescript, but not actually nationalist) emblem. I’m sure the steel was “Rostafrei” or similar, and if I recall correctly, there were ineffective saw teeth on the spine and a bottle opener cutout in the ricasso. I proudly toted that horrible thing concealed in my inside jacket pocket for the rest of the trip.

It later met its doom getting thrown at a tree in the yard, when the handle busted in a bunch of pieces, exposing the whole inch of hidden blade tang. Quality!

Back