Your first knife

Grandfather gave me a small slip-joint knife with about a one-inch blade and mother-of-pearl type handles. I was about 6 years old, this would have been over 50+ years ago.

My first was a BSA slip joint, wish I still had it, also wish the eagle scout SAK my dad gave me hadn't gone missing during a move. Maybe it will turn up one day

I don't remember when I got my first knife. I don't remember not having a knife. Most likely I was about five when I got it. I know I had one by the time I started school. The knives I had were shell construction Imperial stockmans. I say knives, because I lost more than one. They cost 99 cents at the local variety store. If I lost one I would figure out some way to get 99 cents and go buy a new one. Some times I found the lost knife after I had replaced it. Then I had two in my pocket. I remember once having three in my pocket.

O.B.

First knife - old kitchen knife I found in garage as a kid.
Second knife - some folder I found in grandpa's shed, I didn't even take it home with me.

First folding knife I bought - some 4$ folder from e-bay that was terrible in every way but I thought it's cool as heck.
First fixed blade - Smith and Wesson from e-bay again. Cost like 5$.

Later I found out about Cold Steel, Glock and others....

The first one I remember buying was an old anvil brand stockman that I bought from a gas station / convenience store. It cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $9 back in the early eighties which seemed like a fortune to a 11 or 12 year old kid. I loved that thing, played with it, of course I cut myself with it, and eventually lost it :confused:

1955- it was a green plastic handled fishing knife from a local hardware / toy store. No idea where I got the coin, as it probably cost upwards of $2!
It looked very switchblade ish to a 7 yr. old.
It went well with my BB gun. (which I still have)
I ended up sharpening it on a neighbors grinder. The result was less than hair popping.

My dad got me a little red bone handled Case stockman that I carried everywhere. Including to the beach, where the ocean stole my knife out of my swim trunk pockets. Which is fine since it would have rusted away on the drive home anyway after that. Lol

Two blade Sabre jack knife that I bought at the drugstore for $1.49. I think I was 9 years old. I had to hide it from my parents.

IOmDQGz.png

A gift from my dad when I was about 6 or 7. Very fortunate to still have it in my collection, although it doesn't see nearly as much pocket time as it used to. Might have to fix that.

IOmDQGz.png

A gift from my dad when I was about 6 or 7. Very fortunate to still have it in my collection, although it doesn't see nearly as much pocket time as it used to. Might have to fix that.
I just picked up that same one at an antique shop, but it’s not in nearly good of condition. I like mine and it was a great find, but wow yours is beautiful!

My first was this little Sabre. It seemed much bigger in my 7 year old hand. The tip is a little bent, but I still love it.

Mine was a Schrade Old Timer 108OT small stockman. I got it for my tenth Christmas. I promptly stabbed myself in the palm while opening another present. I learned to be careful real quickly. I swapped it off or lost it long ago.

About 1951 snapshot of my first fixed blade. A Ka-Bar 4" or 4.5". I had a pocket knife or two prior to that. I would have been 10 at the time of the photo. Alas, kids do stupid things and I eventually traded it for a box of arrowheads and Civil War Miniballs. Would give have my current pile of knives to get that back.

Attachments

• Scan0003 (2).jpg
    Scan0003 (2).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
Probably some SAK or clone of one, I don't really remember which one since, as another member has said, I do not recall ever not having a knife. I do however remember the first knife I bought for myself with my own money, which was a Gerber Freeman Guide. Back then I thought that 30€ was a hell of a lot of money for a knife *haha*

Fast forward a few years and I'm looking at an SHF or CRK for my next knife, which over here in Austria are about 600€, for a PJ one :D

Back