Aces and Eights

I'm about 8,500 sketches into trying to design a sheath. The more I sketch the more convoluted the design gets. Gotta get it clean and simple.

Nice little dagger John. I'd like to try to have the side against the body extend slightly to cover the guard, a simple bison inlay and a Sam Brown stud for the retention strap. I'm trying to work those three details in without getting things too busy.

Nice little dagger John. I'd like to try to have the side against the body extend slightly to cover the guard, a simple bison inlay and a Sam Brown stud for the retention strap. I'm trying to work those three details in without getting things too busy.
Swear I saw something like that recently online, but of course now I can't find it again🤬. But whatever you come up with, I'm sure you'll crush it!:thumbsup: Should have known I was thinking checkers while you were thinking chess.🥺

Last edited:
After watching Paul Longs instruction video about 15 times I've got a plan. The inlay is Bison and has a nice pull up texture to it. I'm going to try to put a retention strap that will be a continuous piece from the belt loop.m in the back. The inside will also be lined.

I did the inlay by hand but used the sewing machine on the picture above, it's hard to tell. This leather has a pretty firm temper and didn't leave any marks from the walking foot.

I'll be sewing the front and back panels together today, that's is where it can all go to shite, cross your fingers.

Good spot, that was a pencil line so I knew how far to take the outside stitch line since I used the inlay edge as a guide down the sides. I left the inlay short so the sheath would be more stout at the tip.

Good spot, that was a pencil line so I knew how far to take the outside stitch line since I used the inlay edge as a guide down the sides. I left the inlay short so the sheath would be more stout at the tip.
Makes sense...thnx!

Just about set on this, edge is sharp and the sheath is about ready. The Blackwood has some nice color in it along with a small exposed knot (the light and angle is enhancing the blond tones in the picture, it's not that bright in hand).

20220222_110143-01.jpeg

Back