Am I the only one who doesn’t love the SHF?

Am I the only one who doesn’t love the SHF?

• Yes

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Whatchu talkin’ bout Willis?

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I don’t understand the question

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
I enjoy using them and I like their aesthetics. IME, the deployment is the only comparison to a CRK, the feel in hand and actual usage is more in line with a Hinderer. What I appreciate most is how sharp they arrive out of the box, my newest, the Koi, arrived sharper than my Neutron 2 did.

They are great knives, imo, I have many and always end up carrying one for my EDC most days.

Some people aren't into the rough jimping all over the place. They are also quite large, and imo the small ones suffer the same issue of the small sebenzas, they are too small. I like them more than my CRKs, which I also have many of, but like my CRKs for different reasons (sleek, simple). I do think they changed how they are putting an edge on these since the upgrade to Magnacut. S45VNs seem to have a larger bevel and were "sharper" than the 3 Magnacuts I have gotten since the steel switch.

I think they are on par with LG, CRK, etc. They do ooze quality. A "brand" I have NEVER been able to get into, no matter how hard I try are the Hinderers.

EDIT: One more note, I know this matters a lot to some people: Spartans customer service is bar none. I have never had better customer service from a knife company than them. They will fix your knife quickly and send it back quickly (the times I have done this it was fixed and shipped back...same day...)

Here is a recent one I got modded, started as a plane jane:

aLwXMQz.jpeg

Q9WhWKZ.jpeg

Last edited:
Not everything needs to be titanium, its a good way to jack the price way up though.
Plenty of other tough-enough cheaper materials
I've never had an issue with CF or micarta being tough enough, and they aren't as temperature reactive. I hate a cold knife handle against my leg in pocket.

I love the aesthetic, the feel-in-hand, the company - but I don't like the cutting performance. That's the one thing that hangs me up on these - they are some of the worst in my collection at that. I get that they like to do that thick blade stock, overbuilt thing, but I would love if they would offer a grind option on their blades that addressed that for those of us that want everything else the knife offers, and a blade that cuts well.

When I read the title my mind thought SMF as in Strider SMF and I was going to agree with you. That handle is horrible.

As the title reads " am I the only one who doesn't love the shf" the winning vote is [No]
So to the op, you're -not- the only one who doesn't love it, seems like quite a few would leave it than take it 🤷

This one's been on my radar (really like the design and some of the graphics), but they do seem to be priced high for what they are. From what I've read, they don't seem to have the fit and finish of a CRK or Arno Bernard even though they're charging similar prices? Every time I almost pull the trigger, I have flashbacks to the Hinderer XM-18 I used to have. It was certainly nicer than a regular production knife, but I didn't think it was "nicer" enough than a ZT Hinderer to justify the cost and ended up selling it.

As a guy who's last name is Willis, that joke got worn out a really long time ago...

Imagine growing-up with the nickname "J.J." and having the whole World yelling "DY-NO-MITE!!!" at you, for the first two decades of your life. :(

As a guy whose English ancestors decided Gay would make for an excellent surname because it meant "happy," I think I have you both beat.

I love the aesthetic, the feel-in-hand, the company - but I don't like the cutting performance. That's the one thing that hangs me up on these - they are some of the worst in my collection at that. I get that they like to do that thick blade stock, overbuilt thing, but I would love if they would offer a grind option on their blades that addressed that for those of us that want everything else the knife offers, and a blade that cuts well.
This would probably be my biggest negative on it actually, good point! I have been considering sending one in to BGM for a regrind but feel like I shouldn't have to. That would also get rid of some of their nice stonewash finish. Anything I have needed to cut with it cuts just fine though. 🤷‍♂️

I want to love them. I really do.
But no, not for me. I'm not sure it it's the ergos or the slightly off blade aesthetics. Just never did it for me.

Last edited:
I cannot say it looks bad in any way. Probably if I ever do get a Hinderer, it will be an Eklipse. The framelock thing has missed me though - fave framelock is the Spyderco Advocate.

I absolutely love the full size SHF and the ergos work insanely well for me, almost like an extension of my hand. I don't carry it nearly as often as I should because it's a pretty big and stout knife but when I do I enjoy it immensely

I cannot say it looks bad in any way. Probably if I ever do get a Hinderer, it will be an Eklipse. The framelock thing has missed me though - fave framelock is the Spyderco Advocate.
Highly recommend the eklipse over the xm!

The Eklipse and the Jurassic are IMO the two best Hinderer flippers. If you expand it to "Best Hinderer," then you have to add in the FireTac. The Full/Half Track are also good.

If i have a complaint about the SHF, it's the excessive jimping. They seem to have gone to the same school as Eric Glesser when he designed the Manix 2. So much jimping. All. Of. The. Jimping. Still, fewer complaints than I have about my CRKs.

I don't own a SHF and I don't know that I would shell out the money for one, since I don't particularly like framelocks and thumbstuds and I have a feeling that that knife would just sit in a drawer and be fondled from time to time, which I think is a pretty sad existence for a knife ... The overall design speaks to me though, they look really good and the graphics are nothing short of stunning!

I really like the looks of the large SHF and would have one but being left handed there’s other options that work better. I do appreciate the left handed clip mount but then you cover up the graphics with the clip. I would bet that I will get one some day if they made left handed ones I would have several now.

Back