Carothers and Guns

Got a little bit of time behind the RCR and RMR HD

View attachment 2483547

That's a nice pile of...

iu

Back in the 80’s, my most carried handgun was a S&W Model 63 stainless 4” 6-shot .22 LR with adjustable sights. I logged many miles carrying that one through the deserts of Arizona and California.

Somewhere along the way I traded or sold it probably to jump on the semi-auto bandwagon that was gaining steam back then. That was one gun that I always regretted letting go.

A few months back I wandered into a gun store and noticed an updated version of that gun in the display case. It now has a 3” barrel with an 8-shot cylinder. Holding it in hand brought back all those good memories. I had to buy it. It’s hard to believe this is my first wheel-gun in almost 30 years!

i-jCFM7H4-XL.jpg

i-NcbMnFj-XL.jpg

i-5PF8Rdg-XL.jpg

Phil

Back in the 80’s, my most carried handgun was a S&W Model 63 stainless 4” 6-shot .22 LR with adjustable sights. I logged many miles carrying that one through the deserts of Arizona and California.

Somewhere along the way I traded or sold it probably to jump on the semi-auto bandwagon that was gaining steam back then. That was one gun that I always regretted letting go.

A few months back I wandered into a gun store and noticed an updated version of that gun in the display case. It now has a 3” barrel with an 8-shot cylinder. Holding it in hand brought back all those good memories. I had to buy it. It’s hard to believe this is my first wheel-gun in almost 30 years!

i-jCFM7H4-XL.jpg

i-NcbMnFj-XL.jpg

i-5PF8Rdg-XL.jpg

Phil
It always makes me think of the plot in old movies, "Hah! You're empty! You should've counted your shots! You fired 6!". BANG.

The good guy had a gun specially made to hold 7 rounds, but always reloaded after 6 shots, so no one knew...

Nowadays, there are numerous 7 and 8 shot wheelguns.

^ I had one just like that and I ended up selling it. Flash ball out the end was crazy and it would blind you and kill your ears if you actually had to use it in a self defense scenario. Fun while I had it but not practical at all. I paid $600 it second hand like new and sold it for $950. Wish I still had it to sell for $1500!

I never know that they did 3x series in large frame.
I thought large it’s 6x series. Just for me I will be going with 3+ barrel length. I’m tried once shorter than 3” in 357 mag, and don’t want anymore lol
Still searching Lew Horton 686 no dash 3.5” barrel, heh

^ I had one just like that and I ended up selling it. Flash ball out the end was crazy and it would blind you and kill your ears if you actually had to use it in a self defense scenario. Fun while I had it but not practical at all. I paid $600 it second hand like new and sold it for $950. Wish I still had it to sell for $1500!
Hmmm, now I want it more.

Shooting a 2” .357 snubby is one of my earliest recollections of the EEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeee.

Was maybe 12 or 13, plinking with a .22. No one was wearing ear protection. Tried a .38sp and that was notably louder. Then someone said, “Hey, you wanna try a .357 Magnum?”. Of course I said, “.357 Magnum? YEAH!!!”.

First shot; BANG!!!
*** immediately thought, “OWWWWWW!!! My ears hurt! I can’t really hear anything, now” ***. But at that age, I didn’t want to seem like a pansy and hand it back (and I hit what I was aiming at, and the older guys were clapping me on the shoulder. Couldn’t really make out what they were saying, though), so I just thought, “Well… 5 more rounds to go. Just suck it up…” 😕

Had to read lips for 3 days (my parents hadn’t been present, so I was trying to hide the fact that I was more or less deaf. About all I could make out, was extremely muffled murmurs). Finally, after ~3 days, I started to regain my hearing, and was so relieved that I wasn’t permanently deaf.

The eeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeee has been a constant companion ever since.

*** and yes, the fireball was impressive, even in broad daylight. Without ear pro, those things are effectively a flashbang to the shooter.

Shooting a 2” .357 snubby is one of my earliest recollections of the EEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeee.

Was maybe 12 or 13, plinking with a .22. No one was wearing ear protection. Tried a .38sp and that was notably louder. Then someone said, “Hey, you wanna try a .357 Magnum?”. Of course I said, “.357 Magnum? YEAH!!!”.

First shot; BANG!!!
*** immediately thought, “OWWWWWW!!! My ears hurt! I can’t really hear anything, now” ***. But at that age, I didn’t want to seem like a pansy and hand it back (and I hit what I was aiming at, and the older guys were clapping me on the shoulder. Couldn’t really make out what they were saying, though), so I just thought, “Well… 5 more rounds to go. Just suck it up…” 😕

Had to read lips for 3 days (my parents hadn’t been present, so I was trying to hide the fact that I was more or less deaf. About all I could make out, was extremely muffled murmurs). Finally, after ~3 days, I started to regain my hearing, and was so relieved that I wasn’t permanently deaf.

The eeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeee has been a constant companion ever since.

*** and yes, the fireball was impressive, even in broad daylight. Without ear pro, those things are effectively a flashbang to the shooter.
Extremely agree
And short barrel does not accelerate the bullet to full speed. it's just a funny cracker, nothing more

Talk about ringing ears... I deer hunt with a revolver a lot and when I got my first deer revolver thought it would be okay to shoot a deer without ear plugs in. Its just one shot right so that shouldnt hurt. It was a Ruger in .454 Casull and man instant ear pain and throbing. I have done some dumb stuff in my youth. It did however put a hurting on that ole doe though!

Talk about ringing ears... I deer hunt with a revolver a lot and when I got my first deer revolver thought it would be okay to shoot a deer without ear plugs in. Its just one shot right so that shouldnt hurt. It was a Ruger in .454 Casull and man instant ear pain and throbing. I have done some dumb stuff in my youth. It did however put a hurting on that ole doe though!
.454 Casull? How long are the teeth and claws on those deer? 😅

I was young and thought I need the biggest gun out there. 🤣 I strictly only use it for target shooting now. Sometimes I do carry it when hiking in Montana mountains in a chest rig. I even had a Weatherby 30-378 rifle when it first came out and used it on deer.

Now I just use a good ole .243 or .308 and the 6.5CM.

I also had a Barrett 50BMG. Used it on a couple hogs several years back. They are fun as well. My daughter called it her gun.

Love the .220 swift. I’ve got a pre64 Win chambered in .220 swift Ackley that was reamed out by Parker Ackley himself.
View attachment 2497696
50 cal on a couple of hogs?? Did you just shoot in between them and let the shockwave kill em?? 🤣

Back