Deer Rock Knives- Finished Work

Another small skinner Dan. Didn’t think I’d like the color combo on this one but I think it looks nice

.100” Magnacut @ 62 HRC w/cryo
Black G10/Micarta Pins and Liners
Blade length: 3.6”
Handle length: 4.25”
Behind the edge: .008”
IMG_8180.jpeg
IMG_8181.jpeg
IMG_8182.jpeg

.100” 14c28n @ 62.5 HRC w/cryo
Ultrex Black Linen/Natural Liners+Pins Mild coke bottle handle shape
Blade length: 3”
Handle length: 3.9”
Behind the edge: wet ground
Tang Hollowed

IMG_8263.jpegIMG_8264.jpegIMG_8265.jpegIMG_8266.jpeg

.114” Magnacut @ 62 HRC w/cryo
Satinwood Burl/Loveless
Blade length: 3.9”
Handle length: 4.25”
Behind the edge: .005 more at tip/wet ground
Tang hollowed for weight reduction
IMG_8285.jpegIMG_8286.jpegIMG_8287.jpeg

Really happy with this one.

.079” 14c28n @ 63 HRC w/cryo
Blade Length: 205mm
Handle Length: 130mm
Handle Material: Ambrosia curly maple/double red canvas micarta
Thickness behind edge: .008”
Choil and spine rounded
IMG_8351.jpegIMG_8352.jpegIMG_8356.jpeg

Custom Cruwear camp knife ground thin and with some really stunning scales

.113” Cruwear @ 64 HRC w/cryo
Blade Length: 6”
Handle Length: 4.5”
Handle Material: Dyed black ash burl/natural liners and pins
Thickness behind edge: .01”

IMG_8437.jpegIMG_8441.jpeg
IMG_8439.jpegIMG_8440.jpeg

I can’t decide if I like a heavy taper from back to front, or gentle coke bottle handle for an edc knife better.

I used to be manic about scribing and marking everything out, because I thought that was the key to clean work. Which is certainly true. The more I make knives though, the more I’m realizing the brain is a powerful tool and I’m developing an eye for symmetry to just do things freehand.

.113” magnacut @ 62 HRC w/cryo
Blade Length: 3.6”
Handle Length: 4.1”
Handle Material: od green and maroon canvas/loveless
Thickness behind edge: .007”

IMG_8455.jpegIMG_8453.jpegIMG_8456.jpeg

I can’t decide if I like a heavy taper from back to front, or gentle coke bottle handle for an edc knife better.

I used to be manic about scribing and marking everything out, because I thought that was the key to clean work. Which is certainly true. The more I make knives though, the more I’m realizing the brain is a powerful tool and I’m developing an eye for symmetry to just do things freehand.

View attachment 2223314View attachment 2223315View attachment 2223316

Man that's purty!!! Luv it...👍👍👍

View attachment 2223314View attachment 2223315View attachment 2223316

I like how you include the overhead shots of the handle shape. I feel like it's a big deal that a lot of makers overlook, can't tell you how many custom puukkos I've had from finnish makers that have had their radii shaped far too acutely... ended up having to sell them.

This handle in particular looks really comfy. Looks like a bit more flat on top which is where most of the handle comfort comes from imho. The ocd is strong and it shows... beautifully :)

Last edited:
I like how you include the overhead shots of the handle shape. I feel like it's a big deal that a lot of makers overlook, can't tell you how many custom puukkos I've had from finnish makers that have had their radii shaped far too accutely... ended up having to sell them.

This handle in particular looks really comfy. Looks like a bit more flat on top which is where most of the handle comfort comes from imho. The ocd is strong and it shows... beautifully :)
I see what you mean. Handle shaping is still something I need to improve on but I’m getting there I think

I see what you mean. Handle shaping is still something I need to improve on but I’m getting there I think

They all look pretty damn amazing to me. Particularly the last one that you "eyeballed",. The facets on that kitchen knife are incredibly clean too.

Whatever you're doing is working :)

Back