Destructive Knife Steel Testing . . .

Hi, first of all I wish you success in your tests Mr Busse, and greatly appreciate that this thread was opened for replies and feedback. I have also been wondering what you intend to do if the results of your tests on infi's durability in knife making applications reveal it to be a fair bit lower than that of modern toughness oriented pm steels commonly used in the same applications. (As I unfortunately suspect may be the case). I was not aware until today just how long the
Infi = ≠ a8 mod debate had been going on, and that you had participated in it since at least 2006. Your comments in post #51 of this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whats-the-deal-with-busses-infi-steel.385855/page-3#post-3520503
Make me think that you would agree with what I have to say in my conclusion.
Specifically these parts 1:
"Larrin,
There are MANY steels that are within a few tenths of a percentage of another grade of steel and yet they have earned their own specific grade designation.
Looking at the composition of a steel and making statements about its edge holding and other performance characteristics is like reading a recipe and telling people how something is going to taste. . . it's pretty far out."
Larrin does not directly address the claims on steel grade designations in this thread idk why it makes him look ignorant perhaps he wasn't as knowledgeable in 2006. He does however address a very similar point in this 2018 thread: post #53 (I will not quote it as it is very long.) Here is the link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-composition-of-infi-and-what-it-means.1619871/page-3
Another claim you used to explain that infi ≠ a8 mod in the same thread was this:
"I don't really care what the composition of a steel is. . . I only care about its proven performance. So, with that in mind, could you please direct me to ANY "live" demonstration where anybody, anywhere at any time has come close to duplicating our performance???. . .or better yet, direct me to where someone has at least had the cajones to try?
Anybody. . . .anywhere. . . .at any time? " I think joex's video counts as a live demonstration where multiple blades have not only duplicated but surpassed (by a decent margin) Busse knives in terms durability and withstanding abuse.(I agree his tests do not control for many important variables, are not repeatable and leave much to be desired for gathering useful, accurate imperical evidence and info, so I am glad you are conducting your own.) I am also aware your quote was more so in reference to edge retention but I assumed it applies to every aspect of the performance of your knives. Perhaps I was wrong? In reference to edge retention Cedric ada outdoors made a vid where he does rope cut test with a busse knife (granted one with very thick blade and edge geometry the latter being more relevant to rope test) I watched it long ago so I am not 100% but I think he says it performs similar to 52100 knife with similar geo and a similar 3v knife would far outperform the Busse knife in his opinion(he is not a knife maker so take this with a grain of salt also it is by far my weakest point but it is pretty much all I know about infi edge retention) I could not find footage of live demonstration where infi makes 3000 rope cuts. Here is tldr: I think some of your claims about infi's superiority might have been true long ago, but are outdated in 2024 with whatever gen of pm metallurgy we are at. I think most of the points you have made in defense of infi's superiority have since received adequate rebuttals now the ball is in your park with one last chance to prove your claims are true (about infi).So my conclusion that I hope you agree is this: first make your tests as rigorous and thorough as possible, (so there is no question about their results) and within a reasonable time frame so that you are unaccusable stalling /waiting for the heat to die down, and if the results Cannot prove these claims on your site: ". INFI represents what we have always dreamed of in a knife steel. Tougher, by an enormous margin, than any other steel we've ever tested. It has unparalleled edge holding under high impact and in cutting tests, and shock resistance that begs you to "bring it on". Please take them down and issue some form of apology to your customers. Also perhaps revealing the composition of infi may be a good idea as to 90% of the public proprietary secrets that they as customers aren't allowed to know is a red flag. Would you like to buy a car with engine parts whose function that affects its reliability and may cause it to breakdown is hidden from you because it's a proprietary secret? How is it any different with knives?

Ps. Some of this may come of as arrogant or me trying to hurt your business which I assure you is not the case. All I want is for people to know what they are buying to insure they get what they want. Also steel is not even close to being most important aspect of knives and even if infi performs similar to a8 mod that still seems like a pretty decent steel just not the best. I would def still consider buying your knives for some of their other properties (of which their seems many) that set them apart from the competition. Also your quotes I used here are from 2006 I am sure you have come a long way since then as a knife maker (the whole industry has) and perhaps have already addressed some of the things I am saying or are willing to know. I def do not know all of the lore/history of the infi debate not even as it pertains to this forum so anyone is free to correct me.
I see your sincere desire for imformation transpatency, reminds of a character this community that I respect.

One thing to remind, it is not like PM=superior, it is just one of many steel production methods with certain advantages.
E.G. CPM-Magnacut with ultra-fine grain structure advertised is still 5 times as large as AEB-L in terms of average carbide size, an ingot steel.

I see your sincere desire for imformation transpatency, reminds of a character this community that I respect.

One thing to remind, it is not like PM=superior, it is just one of many steel production methods with certain advantages.
E.G. CPM-Magnacut with ultra-fine grain structure advertised is still 5 times as large as AEB-L in terms of average carbide size, an ingot steel.

Am not sure I deserve the praise but thx. I have heard that in some cases normal steels have finer grains than pm ones and that aeb-l was particularly renowned for this but thought it was something like 1.5x. I will try to read up on this 5x is def a lot more than I thought.

Hi, first of all I wish you success in your tests Mr Busse, and greatly appreciate that this thread was opened for replies and feedback. I have also been wondering what you intend to do if the results of your tests on infi's durability in knife making applications reveal it to be a fair bit lower than that of modern toughness oriented pm steels commonly used in the same applications. (As I unfortunately suspect may be the case). I was not aware until today just how long the
Infi = ≠ a8 mod debate had been going on, and that you had participated in it since at least 2006. Your comments in post #51 of this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whats-the-deal-with-busses-infi-steel.385855/page-3#post-3520503
"Larrin,
There are MANY steels that are within a few tenths of a percentage of another grade of steel and yet they have earned their own specific grade designation.
Looking at the composition of a steel and making statements about its edge holding and other performance characteristics is like reading a recipe and telling people how something is going to taste. . . it's pretty far out."
Larrin does not directly address the claims on steel grade designations in this thread idk why it makes him look ignorant perhaps he wasn't as knowledgeable in 2006. He does however address a very similar point in this 2018 thread: post #53 (I will not quote it as it is very long.) Here is the link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-composition-of-infi-and-what-it-means.1619871/page-3
Another claim you used to explain that infi ≠ a8 mod in the same thread was this:
"I don't really care what the composition of a steel is. . . I only care about its proven performance. So, with that in mind, could you please direct me to ANY "live" demonstration where anybody, anywhere at any time has come close to duplicating our performance???. . .or better yet, direct me to where someone has at least had the cajones to try?
Anybody. . . .anywhere. . . .at any time? " I think joex's video counts as a live demonstration where multiple blades have not only duplicated but surpassed (by a decent margin) Busse knives in terms durability and withstanding abuse.(I agree his tests do not control for many important variables, are not repeatable and leave much to be desired for gathering useful, accurate imperical evidence and info, so I am glad you are conducting your own.) I am also aware your quote was more so in reference to edge retention but I assumed it applies to every aspect of the performance of your knives. Perhaps I was wrong? In reference to edge retention Cedric ada outdoors made a vid where he does rope cut test with a busse knife (granted one with very thick blade and edge geometry the latter being more relevant to rope test) I watched it long ago so I am not 100% but I think he says it performs similar to 52100 knife with similar geo and a similar 3v knife would far outperform the Busse knife in his opinion(he is not a knife maker so take this with a grain of salt also it is by far my weakest point but it is pretty much all I know about infi edge retention) I could not find footage of live demonstration where infi makes 3000 rope cuts. Here is tldr: I think some of your claims about infi's superiority might have been true long ago, but are outdated in 2024 with whatever gen of pm metallurgy we are at. I think most of the points you have made in defense of infi's superiority have since received adequate rebuttals now the ball is in your park with one last chance to prove your claims are true (about infi).So my conclusion that I hope you agree is this: first make your tests as rigorous and thorough as possible, (so there is no question about their results) and within a reasonable time frame so that you are unaccusable stalling /waiting for the heat to die down, and if the results Cannot prove these claims on your site: ". INFI represents what we have always dreamed of in a knife steel. Tougher, by an enormous margin, than any other steel we've ever tested. It has unparalleled edge holding under high impact and in cutting tests, and shock resistance that begs you to "bring it on". Please take them down and issue some form of apology to your customers. Also perhaps revealing the composition of infi may be a good idea as to 90% of the public proprietary secrets that they as customers aren't allowed to know is a red flag. Would you like to buy a car with engine parts whose function that affects its reliability and may cause it to breakdown is hidden from you because it's a proprietary secret? How is it any different with knives?

Ps. Some of this may come of as arrogant or me trying to hurt your business which I assure you is not the case. All I want is for people to know what they are buying to insure they get what they want. Also steel is not even close to being most important aspect of knives and even if infi performs similar to a8 mod that still seems like a pretty decent steel just not the best. I would def still consider buying your knives for some of their other properties (of which their seems many) that set them apart from the competition. Also your quotes I used here are from 2006 I am sure you have come a long way since then as a knife maker (the whole industry has) and perhaps have already addressed some of the things I am saying or are willing to know. I def do not know all of the lore/history of the infi debate not even as it pertains to this forum so anyone is free to correct me.
You, sir, have a big pair of Cojones!!!!!!😂😂😂😂 I like your attitude. Respectfully contesting things that lots of people took for granted.

Agreed. PM is not necessary better. Now, Electro Stag Remelting or VIM/VAR increases purity, with reflection on toughness.

Last edited:
Am not sure I deserve the praise but thx. I have heard that in some cases normal steels have finer grains than pm ones and that aeb-l was particularly renowned for this but thought it was something like 1.5x. I will try to read up on this 5x is def a lot more than I thought.
Average Carbide Size:
CPM-Magnacut 5micorn
AEB-L 1micron
(14C28N 13C26 12C27M 420HC LC200N are about as fine as AEB-L)

😕
“in some cases”
It seems that you still take for granted that PM are generally finer.
Well, this is true for coarse carbide steel like D2 154CM which gain a very high increase in percentage via PM.
So is it to some very high carbide steels, some of which are not possible to produce without PM.
Their PM version is finer than their non-PM version.
However, there are steels that simply barely contain carbide, like 5160 80CrV2 15N20 L6 4140 4340 and many more.
They are inherently fine grain, so finer than almost any PM steel, because most PM steels are high carbide .
This is consistent with the main aim for PM tech, to improve the high carbide steels.
PM steels are not born perfect, in fact, it is on the opposite, they are born flawed, thus needing improvement with PM technology.

Average Carbide Size:
CPM-Magnacut 5micorn
AEB-L 1micron
(14C28N 13C26 12C27M 420HC LC200N are about as fine as AEB-L)

😕
“in some cases”
It seems that you still take for granted that PM are generally finer.
Well, this is true for coarse carbide steel like D2 154CM which gain a very high increase in percentage via PM.
So is it to some very high carbide steels, some of which are not possible to produce without PM.
Their PM version is finer than their non-PM version.
However, there are steels that simply barely contain carbide, like 5160 80CrV2 15N20 L6 4140 4340 and many more.
They are inherently fine grain, so finer than almost any PM steel, because most PM steels are high carbide .
This is consistent with the main aim for PM tech, to improve the high carbide steels.
PM steels are not born perfect, in fact, it is on the opposite, they are born flawed, thus needing improvement with PM technology.

You do know a thing or two about steels.👍

I think joex's video counts as a live demonstration where multiple blades have not only duplicated but surpassed (by a decent margin) Busse knives in terms durability and withstanding abuse.
Looking for a little clarification on this statement.
When you say X blade beat Y blade. Are you only referring to the blade or both the blade and steel itself?

There were a couple of knives that surpassed Busse Blades in terms of strength and durability, but does that mean that SK85 and 1095 preform better than INFI? I doubt that part, and feel as that’s where we are butting heads.

Could you please point me to which tests of Joe that surpassed the Busse blades? Ive watched nearly all of them and 98% break at the same point Busse did, with the exception of the Ares and Tracker (whose geometry make them an entirely different kind of knife)

It would be interesting if Jerry made a demo test only identical example of the WTG ares in Infi and do a side by side test. Or something similar in that nature.

"Larrin,

I take great exception to several assertions here. But the chief assertion that I take exception with is a "similar 3V knife would far outperform the Busse knife in his opinion..." I realize this is a quoted assertion, and not you.
I have 3V knives, and I have Delta 3V knives, and I have INFI knives. I have yet to obtain a 3V knife that I would prefer over an INFI knife. IME, every INFI knife holds its razor edge longer than 3V, and is easier to bring back to razor sharpness when it loses its razor edge. That is the basis for 90% of my opinion on knives. Toughness is important, too. But I haven't found that to be a limiting factor in my use. SO, PERHAPS 3V could be tougher. But so is a crowbar.

So... just some counter-opinion. I spent long years "kicking against the goads" when it came to Busse and INFI. Then I tried one. And INFI became my favorite.

Upon re-reading Larrin's op in the 2018 thread linked above he definitely initiates some of degree trolling... Which to be clear I think is completely fine. But for him to then turn around and claim that he doesn't want to publish infi test results so as not to stir up controversy is def hypocritical. He does deserve some of the blame for the mess we are in here and should publish the article.
I didn't realize we were in a mess.

There are ways to move different blade shapes and designs closer in testing. But hacking isn't one of them. BTE is important, but actual blade geometry/profile is also critical in performance and durability. Size, weight, balance point, hardness and profile all matter when you are chopping. A large knife will impact an object with a much higher force than a light blade. The forces acting on the edge from the impact of a 15" oal, 10 inch long, 1/4 inch thick blade vs a Mora, are massively higher. However, if you want to recreate the forces on the mora to make things equal, then make the mora the fixed object and get a 15 inch long piece of rebar and smack the edge. Do it for all the knives. So now, all knives are fixed and you are smacking them with a piece of rebar. You have nullified knife weight and size. You haven't nullified user applied force, however. Because the operator can swing for the bleachers with one knife and bunt with the next knife. But at least you know that the small knife will receive a force that is closer to the large knife this way. Now you are getting closer to just testing the edge. I've always thought that there should be a charpy/izod test on a triangular steel sample with a notch as that will simulate a knife shape better. Instead you get a square profile.

Upon re-reading Larrin's op in the 2018 thread linked above he definitely initiates some of degree trolling... Which to be clear I think is completely fine. But for him to then turn around and claim that he doesn't want to publish infi test results so as not to stir up controversy is def hypocritical. He does deserve some of the blame for the mess we are in here and should publish the article.

Well, for one, there is no mess. As said before, one sample size does not make a conclusion. Heck my three sample size doesn't either. Considering that INFI is a process more than a steel type, the mess is fictional. Most Busse owners know this and have no problem with it.

A bit off topic but.. Something I just realized

I never see people going around to other forums like CPK or Esee saying “my infi knife is better than your 3V” or “hey did you Esee guys know 3V outperforms your 1095?”

They always come here and bring up some steel they think beats INFI. If it does outperform INFI, why not go use it and be happy? Why waste energy trying to change our minds?

A bit off topic but.. Something I just realized

I never see people going around to other forums like CPK or Esee saying “my infi knife is better than your 3V” or “hey did you Esee guys know 3V outperforms your 1095?”

They always come here and bring up some steel they think beats INFI. If it does outperform INFI, why not go use it and be happy? Why waste energy trying to change our minds?
Not that I care but in my position both as a knife nerd and a guy in these groups and a guy doing my own things-

I see and here this CONSTANTLY.

Over in the Becker forum you'll see literally 10 years or (why don't you use x steel it's better)

So, I tested the edges on these two knives by batoning them into cement nails. I ran each for about 6-7 minutes and an average of probably 40 hammer blows per minute. The knives are Carothers D3v and INFI. Neither failed nor chipped. They just indented. Extreme abuse test and fairly given to both knives. You can judge for yourself. The d3v did not beat INFI. They were close, but the INFI indented to a lesser extent. The blades were similar thickness and the edges were close in angle. The blade profile was slightly thinner on the mean street due to the higher saber grind. I might run a mora on this to make a point, because I already know what will happen to it. It will take heavy damage way before these two. So will a machete. I don't even give a machete a minute on these nails. Edge will be worthless. Oh, but they did survive juicyX;)

2fbX6Vx.jpg

Not that I care but in my position both as a knife nerd and a guy in these groups and a guy doing my own things-

I see and here this CONSTANTLY.

Over in the Becker forum you'll see literally 10 years or (why don't you use x steel it's better)
That’s true, now that I think of it it used to be a big thing, with steel wars and edge retention wars. I can see it making sense for something like Gerbers 420hc. But this is like saying s90v isn’t as good as s110v so we should switch it.

Does it really matter that much?
(Of course it does.. we’re knife nerds)

I retract my previous post lol.

…I retract my previous post lol.

I still like the last paragraph…

… They always come here and bring up some steel they think beats INFI. If it does outperform INFI, why not go use it and be happy? Why waste energy trying to change our minds?

Many here have proven INFI for themselves, in personal use. The toughness, the edge holding, the rust resistance. I’m one of them. There are a lot of amazing steels out there. Use what you like. If you prefer another steel such as 3V, Magnacut, AEB-L, or Elmax, use that. And by the way, Jerry makes knives from those steels, and many others, as well.

So, I tested the edges on these two knives by batoning them into cement nails. I ran each for about 6-7 minutes and an average of probably 40 hammer blows per minute. The knives are Carothers D3v and INFI. Neither failed nor chipped. They just indented. Extreme abuse test and fairly given to both knives. You can judge for yourself. The d3v did not beat INFI. They were close, but the INFI indented to a lesser extent. The blades were similar thickness and the edges were close in angle. The blade profile was slightly thinner on the mean street due to the higher saber grind. I might run a mora on this to make a point, because I already know what will happen to it. It will take heavy damage way before these two. So will a machete. I don't even give a machete a minute on these nails. Edge will be worthless. Oh, but they did survive juicyX;)

2fbX6Vx.jpg
Ughhhhh... I think I'm going to be sick.... 🤢

I personally have never tested a steel with better gross durability than Infi.

We can talk about things like joules of energy absorbed in an impact test and lateral bending strength etc. But, just like abrasive wear resistance is not always good measure of edge retention, toughness is not always a perfect measure of durability. Otherwise we'd just be using S7. If you're going to bounce a knife off of a rock or cut an anvil in half, in my opinion, there is no steel that will shrug off extremely rough use better than Infi.

Also, in my opinion, the advantages of the PM process don't always outweigh the negatives. You're trying to weld a powdered steel back into 100% density and, hopefully, form all the same amount and type of metallic bonds that you would have formed in a melt steel. It isn't foolproof. The application for PM is usually simply making steels that cannot be effectively made utilizing a conventional melt process due to the carbide type and volume. If you have a lot of vanadium, it's going to form solid vanadium carbide well before the surrounding steel matrix begins to solidify. The only way to get a small evenly distributed vanadium carbide in high volumes is the PM process.

People need to keep in mind when talking about grain size, they're not referring to the size of the carbides, they're talking about the steel grain. And the manufacturing process used to create the steel doesn't dictate grain size. That is more a function of the alloy and the heat condition. The PM process gives you finer alloy and carbide size and distribution, not necessarily grain size.

3V does not inherently have fantastic edge stability and there has been a lot of work by a lot of people to modify the heat treat to give it the fine edge stability it needs to tolerate rough use, otherwise the abrasion resistance is meaningless because the edge loss is not abrasive in nature. My intent, sending that knife to Cobalt, was to show him the difference an edge stability and subsequent edge retention between the industry standard 3V heat treat and an optimized heat treat.

My knife abuse videos exist not to demonstrate how tough the knives are (3V is tough, that's pretty much baked in) it was to prove that the changes to the heat treat that improved the edge stability and reduced edge loss in rough use don't weaken the knife or otherwise ruin the steel and heat treat. Otherwise it would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

It is my opinion that nobody does 3V better than me. It has a lot of capabilities and is not merely well balanced but outperforms most steels in most ways. But I would never claim that it is tougher than Infi, it just isn't. :thumbsup:

Back