Small knife challenge

• Yes I accept

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • No I don't accept

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • I'll think about it

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
This is the little knife challenge. For one month, you have to only use [any] knife that is less than 3 inches for all your
day to day cutting/edc tasks.
there is a twist however: every time you find that 2.9 inches isn't enough, you MAY use something longer, but you HAVE to write it down. At the end of the month long challenge, count how many times you had to use a knife longer than 2.9 inches and post it on the thread
Exceptions apply:
1. Food prep and cooking
2. Outdoor gardening
3. Game dressing

Not going to play: I like big knives. I mean, I like small knives too, but I can't imagine living without my big choppers, even for smaller tasks.
Having said that, I wanna say I'm in love with my Cold Steel Mini Tac I recently bought for $25

hQx55vR.png

Last edited:
Over-all length or blade length? 🤔

If blade length ... I got 54 years and counting consective daily use of a sub 3 inch blade. 😇

If Over-All length ... for me that would be an unwinnable challenge.
I've tried them a couple times over the decades, but I just can't warm up to the "Peanut" class (2 7/8 inch or less closed) knives for my primary/only carry.

There are some who carry them daily as their EDC, and get long fine with only the Peanut, or a SAK SD Classic, or a Christy Knife, as their only knife. (in many cases it IS their only knife!)
They do much more with them than just open letters, packages, and peel an apple/cut a chaw offa plug of tobacco, too.
(no doubt many wonder why some insist they "need" a blade over 1 to 1.5 inch in daily life. "It don't have to be big; just sharp" is their mantra.
My paternal gramps and my dad were among their numbers.

Some days I "required" a longer blade (scraping off head gaskets and carbon build up, cutting radiator and heater hose, fan belts,, scoring drywall, wood, steel/brass/copper/aluminum, and PVC pipe with my Buck 110, instead of the stockman or Barlow in my pocket. Or a machete for removing coconut palm fronds and cutting/chopping to 3' (+/-) and putting them in 55 gallon trash cans, so the trash company would take them. (they refused full length 12 to 15 foot fronds, and/or cut or whole loose fronds stacked/piled up near the trask cans.), removing coconut husks and opening the coconut, etc. for example)
I still used a sub 3 inch blade on those days, however, for food prep, whittlin', scoring drywall, and other "light" jobs ....
Blade length, so you're golden. Great information on the peanut and relative length. I learned that the hard way, spent my 20s fussing over a fluctuating collection size and blade type theme. I like slipjoint knives because they are still majority of the time smaller blade stock, not some chunky .12,.13,.14 stock thickness. Slipjoint knives cut well because they're thin

Many moons ago, when I lived downtown in the big smoke, I could have made this work without much of an issue. As it is, I haven't used a knife that small in the last couple of weeks. I've been doing a lot of brush clearing with my Terava Skrama 240, while carrying my Spydercco Police 4 or Boker Plus Roundhouse, as my small folder outside. For prepping fruits and vegetables in the chicken supply shed, I've been using the Morakniv Companion and Morakniv 749 that are stored in the shed, as well as an Opinel No.15 Slim. Inside, I've been using my Condor Urban EDC Puukko, Bradford Guardian 3, Buck 110 Slim Select, and Honey Badger Large to see me through spring cleaning and regularly scheduled package processing.

53544151991_16afe32f27_b.jpg

I'm in! This sounds like a fun way to test my EDC resourcefulness. Limiting myself to a sub-3-inch blade for a month will definitely push my creativity. Can't wait to see how many "cheats" I rack up (looking at you stubborn cardboard boxes). Who else is taking the challenge?

P.S. Maybe we can share our favorite small knife tasks and unexpected successes along the way?

oNADlC2.jpg

Most of the knives here ain’t even small.
I’ve been mostly carrying classic sized SAKs or this Fox Vulpis in my keychain for years now except for camping and work and been fine.
But it’s not very popular choice here because muh preparedness.

I've done this in the past, especially living or working places where <3" blades were required.

My main experience agrees with this:
I will attempt this, but my biggest issue is that smaller knives have smaller handles. I have a XL/XXL hand and need the larger handles for more control.

My hands are not so large but I definitely agree. Spyderco Delica, Spyderco Para3, Benchmade 525 are all good for extended use for me despite the small blades.

Benchmade 707 does not have enough grip for me to be more than light use. Small Sebenza is only slightly better; I would say "marginal" for my hands.

My preference is in the 3.25-3.75" blade range but I can get along just fine sub-3" with the right handle.

707 vs 525:
MX0BOTt.jpg

Delica remains my most common sub-3" carry:
5NDGXow.jpg

What's going to be a real challenge for me is to find a blade smaller than 3 inches! I have maybe 2 or 3, not more than that

Day 3.. Enzo 70 black Micarta , Rough Ryder rr2211 black Micarta . SAK Recruit black, Small 21.

I'm in! This sounds like a fun way to test my EDC resourcefulness. Limiting myself to a sub-3-inch blade for a month will definitely push my creativity. Can't wait to see how many "cheats" I rack up (looking at you stubborn cardboard boxes). Who else is taking the challenge?

P.S. Maybe we can share our favorite small knife tasks and unexpected successes along the way?
Push your creativity, or expand it? 🫠
To your P.S. - by all means

What's going to be a real challenge for me is to find a blade smaller than 3 inches! I have maybe 2 or 3, not more than that
How many do you need to get through a month?

I changed my vote to accept. I will probably fail miserably, but it will be fun no matter what happens.
If 1911bphil and oldmanwilly oldmanwilly are in, I'm in, too...for the fun factor. BUT, in the spirit of challenge, I will not carry my Iron Pup or WC insingo - except at work.

This will be interesting, as the Pup winning my pocket was truly a surprise.

S ShaiHulud since the stated terms indicate that we can change knives; I think it would be more interesting if people post what they're carrying/using. Oh, one more thing
pbkeHNK.png

Last edited:
Back