Small knife challenge

• Yes I accept

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • No I don't accept

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • I'll think about it

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
My blazing yellow Spyderco Enuff Sheepsfoot SE is looking at me, daring me to carry only it for a month. A knife with a 2.75 inch blade looks cartoonish in my hand but I'm curious if I can make it work.

Hmm....
He's lonely, seeking some pocket warmth.
I say do it, although I can't guarantee you'll feel the same about them large folders after the months out 🫠🙃

zwOtmBg.jpeg
Day 3 with the Chap.

I'm going to carry something normal sized tomorrow, maybe even a little bigger than normal sized...but I promise to only use a little one.

Last edited:
So something that isn't small is normal sized? Lol
In effect, yes - at least for me. I'm still more of a 3.5-3.75" blade guy, when it comes to modern folders. I was more than surprised that I even liked the Iron Pup, let alone that I carried AND USED it for around 2.5 years. (Not that I have stopped - but that's when I forced another knife into my pocket...that one didn't take, and I moved on to the Voron)
Sub 3" fixed blades - I've got a few of those that I like; but the real little ones are more of a novelty. I find I'm most likely to use 3-4", but I'll still carry up to about 5.5" if I like the knife enough.

Luckily, the "rules" didn't say we could only carry small knives...just that we had to use a knife of less than 3" for our daily cutting tasks.

If you feel carrying (not using) a larger knife, just because I like it, is in conflict with the spirit of the challenge, I'll acquiesce.

In effect, yes - at least for me. I'm still more of a 3.5-3.75" blade guy, when it comes to modern folders. I was more than surprised that I even liked the Iron Pup, let alone that I carried AND USED it for around 2.5 years. (Not that I have stopped - but that's when I forced another knife into my pocket...that one didn't take, and I moved on to the Voron)
Sub 3" fixed blades - I've got a few of those that I like; but the real little ones are more of a novelty. I find I'm most likely to use 3-4", but I'll still carry up to about 5.5" if I like the knife enough.

Luckily, the "rules" didn't say we could only carry small knives...just that we had to use a knife of less than 3" for our daily cutting tasks.

If you feel carrying (not using) a larger knife, just because I like it, is in conflict with the spirit of the challenge, I'll acquiesce.
just was asking 👌, you're good to carry the entire collection if you fancy🙃

I've seen people (on here) say they carry 5+ knives. I feel incredibly self conscious when I grab a folder on my way out of the house, only to find that I had one in coat pocket.
(One traditional, one modern folder, one fixed blade is comfortable for me - though, admittedly, I could get through most days without carrying a single knife)

There is a class of knives carried in Japan, kwaiken ("Necklace Knives") They are made in both fixed and folding versions. The one I have is very much like a 19th century American tobacco "plug" knife used to cut off plugs of chewing tobacco. They are small but very handy, in Japan they are used to cut open packages. Here is the one I have, I call mine an emergency steak knife. It is Mitsumoto Sakari 2" Pocket Knife. It's blade is hand forged with 67 layers of VG10 stainless steel. with Sandalwood handles. the blade is HRC60 and scary sharp. total length open is 3.5" the blade 1.8" long.

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9070.jpeg

I haven't done very well with this challenge. I always carry a traditional slipjoint that meets the criteria, but this morning I pulled my Spyderco Police in K390 to open a package of diapers. Didn't even think about it, just tugged on the handle and my zip-tie wave mods flicked it open.

I haven't done very well with this challenge. I always carry a traditional slipjoint that meets the criteria, but this morning I pulled my Spyderco Police in K390 to open a package of diapers. Didn't even think about it, just tugged on the handle and my zip-tie wave mods flicked it open.
😮

I’ll play along. Got a UTX-85 inbound. Going from a Combat Troodon to that is gonna be odd, but should be good for a laugh or two.

It’ll be an interesting month anyway.
I’m out, boys. Got the UTX-85 and didn’t agree with my hand at all. Once it was open it was alright, but too “fiddly” for big hands to actuate. I knew I’d end up constantly dropping it just trying to get it open. Traded it that very day for an Ultratech.

Guess I’m just a big blade guy at heart, and I’m ok with that. Know thyself and all that whatnot.

Back