Stag and Leather

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Long story short, this was a retirement gift for a friend, the build commissioned to me in April by his boss. It was presented to him tonight. The etchings and details are unique to him, down to the number of stacked leather pieces.

I hadn't shown it's progress to make sure that the surprise couldn't be spoiled.

7.5" Blade
12ish" Overall
Sambar Stag
OD green micarta
Stacked leather
Nickel Silver

20220704_155537-03.jpeg

20220704_155255-02.jpeg

20220704_155716-02.jpeg

20220703_160355-01.jpeg

20220703_161920-01.jpeg

20220705_212813-01.jpeg

Wow John! That is quite a handsome package. The handle stack really came together nicely. Great combination of materials. That piece of stag is very interesting. Dark bark with a lot of character and a grippy texture that is not too extreme compared to a lot of fancy stag. The coloring on the front end looks like flames to me where it merges with the spacers. Your leather work is equally impressive. It compliments the knife very well.

Thanks for sharing the photos and the background on this special project. Your friend must have been very surprised and impressed when he opened the gift.

Phil

Wow John! That is quite a handsome package. The handle stack really came together nicely. Great combination of materials. That piece of stag is very interesting. Dark bark with a lot of character and a grippy texture that is not too extreme compared to a lot of fancy stag. The coloring on the front end looks like flames to me where it merges with the spacers. Your leather work is equally impressive. It compliments the knife very well.

Thanks for sharing the photos and the background on this special project. Your friend must have been very surprised and impressed when he opened the gift.

Phil
I thought the same thing Phil, started to see the flames as I shaped it and ended up helping them along with a little sanding, turned out to be an interesting effect I thought.

First time working with Sambar stag, really nice to work with. The detail in the end cap doesn't show in the pictures but it almost looks like it was dipped in metal, has some nice flow to it. Labor intensive and challenging but very enjoyable.

Glad you guys enjoy it, though difficult for me it all came together pretty well. It balances almost just in front of the index finger and feels really good in hand. I'll try to upload a video I took.

So that's unfortunately what put the delay on our Cowbells. It took a lot of my time but was a project I couldn't pass up.

My priority now is getting the Cowbells sheaths wet formed and those wrapped up. Then I'll be working on the stacked leather project knives and the two Wild Cards. I may put off taking more Cowbell Dibs for a bit to get caught up with those. I appreciate your guys patience with things.

Do those cases (pictured above) interest you guys? I'd like to offer embroidered ones with larger knives as a standard and would consider making them available for the Cowbells as an option if there's interest in them.

Phil
What Phil Said!!

So that's unfortunately what put the delay on our Cowbells. It took a lot of my time but was a project I couldn't pass up.

My priority now is getting the Cowbells sheaths wet formed and those wrapped up. Then I'll be working on the stacked leather project knives and the two Wild Cards. I may put off taking more Cowbell Dibs for a bit to get caught up with those. I appreciate your guys patience with things.

Do those cases (pictured above) interest you guys? I'd like to offer embroidered ones with larger knives as a standard and would consider making them available for the Cowbells as an option if there's interest in them.
Your Priorities are the ones that matter brother!!

Those cases are nice, especially with RedMeadow on them!!
I think T-Shirts next!!

Hope you & yours are doing great!!
That goes for all y'all!!

Randy aka Sixx

I thought the same thing Phil, started to see the flames as I shaped it and ended up helping them along with a little sanding, turned out to be an interesting effect I thought.

First time working with Sambar stag, really nice to work with. The detail in the end cap doesn't show in the pictures but it almost looks like it was dipped in metal, has some nice flow to it. Labor intensive and challenging but very enjoyable.

Glad you guys enjoy it, though difficult for me it all came together pretty well. It balances almost just in front of the index finger and feels really good in hand. I'll try to upload a video I took.
Does look like flames eh?
Amazing, Outstanding Knife John!!
I gotta ad, the way that endcap fits is
incredible!!
That thar is a masterpiece!!
Like art that can cut stuff!!

Thanks Randy, It consumed a lot of my time and a lot of my pea brain to figure things out but I'm back in the groove now!

Would definitely love to see embroidered cases for the larger and "special" knives (especially if I could get one retroactive for the Faro😁). Might be overkill for the Cowbells, but if optional rather than standard then I could see it.

Would definitely love to see embroidered cases for the larger and "special" knives (especially if I could get one retroactive for the Faro😁). Might be overkill for the Cowbells, but if optional rather than standard then I could see it.
That's what I was thinking too, just as an option for the Cowbells but included for larger work. I'll get one your way for the Faro when I get some made.

Back