Tanto challenge

Yes, @DocJD, I used a tautology to express the idea that there is nothing inherently wrong with the tanto design in general. And I'm sure you are aware that tautologies, like tantos, can be use used badly.
The tanto blade came into the world as a weapon design, which is not to say it can, should, and will only be used as one forever more. In truth anything that's sharp and cuts can be used as a tool outside of a weapon, you can even open up your envelope with a katana, not sure if it's a good idea, but you can 🤷, hell, you can even turn your steaks with one (elysium anyone?💥💥)

The tanto blade came into the world as a weapon design, which is not to say it can, should, and will only be used as one forever more. In truth anything that's sharp and cuts can be used as a tool outside of a weapon, you can even open up your envelope with a katana, not sure if it's a good idea, but you can 🤷, hell, you can even turn your steaks with one (elysium anyone?💥💥)
The same goes how hammer can be used as either tool or a weapon. Tantos can be very useful, just despite that - lots of people still think they are only good for stabbing cars...

Been there, done that. I used a tanto knife pretty exclusively for a while years ago in the army, and I found out that it kinda sucked. Cool looking, sure, but not as practical as a regular old non tacticool pocket knife, especially when I had to resharpen the stupid thing with its weird angles. If I need to fight terrorists or bears or whatever, Im sure a tanto would be fine but I just use knives to cut normal things so... not my cup of tea. 👍

So what you're saying is if I handed you this, you would not be able to open your mail, or a package, or break down a box, or remove a splinter, or slice your apple, or, or, etc... Not sure I'd want to try stabbing a car with that one. 63 HRC AEB-L, and not much of a guard, as well as being only around 7" in overall length. If I had to do the tanto challenge, pretty sure I could ace it with this Wolverine Scout.

Wolverine-Scout.jpg

On folders , the Americanized tanto style started out on overbuilt "tactical " models , made for hard use .

Guys figured out they actually work good for scraping , chiseling , light prying ,etc ...and don't tend to break . :cool:

Only took a few years to become popular as working knives , in the trades and more generally for hard work use .
My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the American tanto is just not my favorite blade shape.

What can I say? I'm set in my ways.

Now get off my lawn. :p😁

Been there, done that. I used a tanto knife pretty exclusively for a while years ago in the army, and I found out that it kinda sucked. Cool looking, sure, but not as practical as a regular old non tacticool pocket knife, especially when I had to resharpen the stupid thing with its weird angles. If I need to fight terrorists or bears or whatever, Im sure a tanto would be fine but I just use knives to cut normal things so... not my cup of tea. 👍
So a serrated recurve reverse tanto is out of the question?

IMG_3157.jpeg
i’ve been carrying this benchmade 12800 gaucho pretty much every day since acquired it a month ago & it’s a champ. has a bit of belly in the tanto tip & a good bit of recurve to the main part of the blade. will cut through anything i throw at it

Got this fake tanto from my sister from Japan . 🤷‍♀️
IMG-20240428-151439196.jpg
Damn, that piece has some unusual features. I guess the ray skin habaki is very quick to install relative to copper. The handle is much wider than the blade, really breaks up the flow.

Back