The Gambler/Vest Bowie Knife (Coffin Handles!)

I hope you can iron these decisions out quickly.
I think I've got the mettle to do it.

Whilst pondering Fibonacci I studied the lines of our sketch and through a series of measurements, I applied the Golden Rule and came to the conclusion that an extra 3/4 of an inch would atone for .....

:pHa right, our sketch looked a little wonky so I made the blade longer. I think we worked up a nice little design here.

That brings our blade out to 6 1/2" and gives a nice proportion to everything.

Whilst pondering Fibonacci I studied the lines of our sketch and through a series of measurements, I applied the Golden Rule and came to the conclusion that an extra 3/4 of an inch would atone for .....

:pHa right, our sketch looked a little wonky so I made the blade longer. I think we worked up a nice little design here.

LOL...was going to suggest shortening the handle a bit, but that works too!:thumbsup:

Admittedly, the design has come out longer and more slender than I was initially envisioning but I like it, a lot. It seems like it would translate to a light, quick blade that would be easy to carry and a joy to use.

Balanced is the word I am looking for, I think. It looks balanced and it will be interesting to see how it all materializes.

Admittedly, the design has come out longer and more slender than I was initially envisioning but I like it, a lot. It seems like it would translate to a light, quick blade that would be easy to carry and a joy to use.

Balanced is the word I am looking for, I think. It looks balanced and it will be interesting to see how it all materializes.

Yep, a bit more slender than I was initially thinking too, but looks great so far. And would rather lean more to that side than have it too short and stocky. Kind of funny...Colin Shannon seems to like makin'em wide, and John likes em slender. Different strokes...

Yep, a bit more slender than I was initially thinking too, but looks great so far. And would rather lean more to that side than have it too short and stocky. Kind of funny...Colin Shannon seems to like makin'em wide, and John likes em slender. Different strokes...

I like 'em all.

That said, it is amazing how much my knife philosophies have changed over recent years. I went from carrying sharpened prybars for pocket knives to almost exclusively carrying slip joints and I am gravitating more and more to fixed blades with thinner stock and less and less to blades that I might be inclined to beat the crud out of.

Still, it is hard not to like them all.

Whenever I think of a Gamblers or a Vest Bowie I honestly think of this kind of image. Leaner the better if you have to stick your neighbor!
61eoCTOtabL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Forged would be cool, I'll have to force myself to use damascus one day. It's sacrilegious but other than a feather pattern, I'm not a fan of it at all.

I've been looking over this thread and some f my sketches here and I think we're onto something. I'm gonna profile a few of these out and throw them in with my next thermal cycle batch. I have a 6.5" and a 4.75" sketch that are screaming to be made. I'll line these up for after the Camp knives (which I'll be grinding bevels on this week).

I've been looking over this thread and some f my sketches here and I think we're onto something. I'm gonna profile a few of these out and throw them in with my next thermal cycle batch. I have a 6.5" and a 4.75" sketch that are screaming to be made. I'll line these up for after the Camp knives (which I'll be grinding bevels on this week).

Was there a sketch for the camp knife in one of these threads and I'm just having an unusually potent brain fart? I swore there was but I can't locate it at the moment.

The two I"ve got profiled are spoken for but I've got a pic of them somewhere, let me find it.

This is fantastic, I can't wait to see what you turn out.

I'm thinking we should call these "Faro Bowies" after the card game, or some subtle reference to a coffin, sarcophagus, mummy, Pharaoh, Egypt, card game, saloon etc.

Not much belly, less than 7 inches, Coffin handles, thick at the ricasso with an aggressive distal taper.

Heres a shot of some ugly little slabs to give a very rough idea.
20200327_185122-01.jpeg

Back