The importance of backpacking

OP, I agree with you about backpacking!

I have always loved the outdoors. But, I’ve struggled with orthopedic issues since my pre-teen years…which helped contribute to childhood obesity, etc. I had to sit out when my childhood Scout troop did all the truly high adventure stuff.

My first real backpacking trip was in my early 20’s. By then I was fit enough, and as long as I kept my pack light and my daily mileage under 6-8 miles, my legs could handle it.

Once I hit my late 20’s the pack went away. No time. No opportunities.

Fast forward a few decades. My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 14. It’s time. The difficulty is finding a good route +/- 6 mile days (my legs are still bad and a pack don’t help). I still managed to find good routes a couple times each year. Mostly the Sierras & Glacier, though we hit a few other notable destinations too. Our longest day over the years was about 12 miles, over the Stoney Pass in glacier. That day was brutal on me.

Here’s the fam on one of my favorites; Kings Canyon via Kersarge Pass. My wife is the photographer. She’s an outdoor machine (and a real hottie, btw)!

In the midst of it all, I spent a few years as a Scout Master, and took a bunch of 12 year old boys on a 3-day backpacking trip, the first real backpacking esposure for most of those kids.

2 of my 3 kiddos are on their own now. The older two are outdoor fanatics!

Backpacking is the greatest (except for maybe mountain biking). I wish I’d been blessed with the legs for it, but I’ve played the hand I was dealt to it’s fullest.

Last edited:
OP, I agree with you about backpacking!

I have always loved the outdoors. But, I’ve struggled with orthopedic issues since my pre-teen years…which helped contribute to childhood obesity, etc. I had to sit out when my childhood Scout troop did all the truly high adventure stuff.

My first real backpacking trip was in my early 20’s. By then I was fit enough, and as long as I kept my pack light and my daily mileage under 6-8 miles, my legs could handle it.

Once I hit my late 20’s the pack went away. No time. No opportunities.

Fast forward a few decades. My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 14. It’s time. The difficulty is finding a good route +/- 6 mile days (my legs are still bad and a pack don’t help). I still managed to find good routes a couple times each year. Mostly the Sierras & Glacier, though we hit a few other notable destinations too. Our longest day over the years was about 12 miles, over the Stoney Pass in glacier. That day was brutal on me.

Here’s the fam on one of my favorites; Kings Canyon via Kersarge Pass. My wife is the photographer. She’s an outdoor machine (and a real hottie, btw)!

In the midst of it all, I spent a few years as a Scout Master, and took a bunch of 12 year old boys on a 3-day backpacking trip, the first real backpacking esposure for most of those kids.

2 of my 3 kiddos are on their own now. The older two are outdoor fanatics!

Backpacking is the greatest (except for maybe mountain biking). I wish I’d been blessed with the legs for it, but I’ve played the hand I was dealt to it’s fullest.
What an amazing view! I would love to backpack somewhere like that. Unfortunately almost all of mine is done here in Missouri but I'm still thankful for it and there are a few good views around. It doesn't really matter to me how many miles are done it's more about getting outside and enjoying the great outdoors. Six or eight miles can be plenty depending on who your with and how long your setup takes. It's tuff hiking all day and then having to deal with an poor location to setup. Anyways, that photo is sure making me ready for some cooler weather.

What an amazing view! I would love to backpack somewhere like that. Unfortunately almost all of mine is done here in Missouri but I'm still thankful for it and there are a few good views around. It doesn't really matter to me how many miles are done it's more about getting outside and enjoying the great outdoors. Six or eight miles can be plenty depending on who your with and how long your setup takes. It's tuff hiking all day and then having to deal with an poor location to setup. Anyways, that photo is sure making me ready for some cooler weather.
I lived in St. Louis for a few years.

I absolutely loved the town! The weather? Well, there were a few nice weeks in the spring and fall. Summer was down right oppressive!

I lived in St. Louis for a few years.

I absolutely loved the town! The weather? Well, there were a few nice weeks in the spring and fall. Summer was down right oppressive!
Thats how it goes. Some years I swear we don't even get those few nice weeks in the spring and fall. It just goes from freezing cold to burning hot.

Backpacking is a great way to escape the crowds. CA has beautiful back country to boot! Humping everything on your back is a different ball game, because each ounce is borne by your feet. This teaches you to be selective about gear and develop your skills. The more you know, the less you carry. It's a lifetime of learning. The feeling of freedom that comes with carrying everything on your back is unparalleled!

Backpacking is a great way to escape the crowds. CA has beautiful back country to boot! Humping everything on your back is a different ball game, because each ounce is borne by your feet. This teaches you to be selective about gear and develop your skills. The more you know, the less you carry. It's a lifetime of learning. The feeling of freedom that comes with carrying everything on your back is unparalleled!

I agree that backpacking is a great way to escape, and offers a feeling of freedom. I don't agree that everyone has to be a minimalist in order to enjoy backpacking. I don't need to do a lot of miles, 10-12 miles a day is fine with me. I'd rather have some of the extra creature comforts and security that comes with carrying a few extra pounds - usually somewhere north of 20 lbs and south of 30 lbs.

I agree that backpacking is a great way to escape, and offers a feeling of freedom. I don't agree that everyone has to be a minimalist in order to enjoy backpacking. I don't need to do a lot of miles, 10-12 miles a day is fine with me. I'd rather have some of the extra creature comforts and security that comes with carrying a few extra pounds - usually somewhere north of 20 lbs and south of 30 lbs.
I'm not a through hiker nor a ultra-lightweight backpacker. However, I do try to carry kit that can serve multiple purposes if possible. For example, instead of a rain jacket and a pack cover, I just carry a poncho. My nylon shirt is tightly woven enough to act as a windbreaker, so I just add layers beneath it. It takes constant experimentation to figure out what one can do without and still be comfortable. I just remember the first time I went backpacking, my pack was very heavy, because I had no experience nor knowledge.

Nowadays I'm happy if my pack is under 40 lbs for a multi-day trip.

I think folks should camp and hike how they choose to, but for me- I like to stop to check out sites/views/critters/etc, and rushing just to cover miles is not for me. Being in nature is where I feel at peace, and sometimes just stopping and hearing the leaves in the wind, or rain falling on devil’s club, or just a babbling brook puts the craziness of the world in perspective. I mostly hike alone so I can enjoy what I feel like without irritating anyone else. An avid hiker I know trains very hard year round so that hiking is more enjoyable. Just being out is great.

I do like it. It's got one-way satellite texting if I can connect my phone, pre-set messages if I cannot, which is really good if someone has medical conditions, ie, "I'm okay but can't keep going" or "I've had an event but I'm not hurt" as well as the "get me out of here" button. There are those who will rightly say that it's not as reliable as an Epirb, and that's true. But all the Epirb can do is function when the button gets pressed. With the Garmin, someone can check in on you, and if you have been in the same spot for four hours without pressing the "I'm alright, just stopping here" button, or whatever you've arranged, they can call in help. For most people, their actual real risk is an injury or illness that means they cannot hit the button themselves. For me in Australia by big risk is snakebite. I can do first aid for that, but then it's a waiting game. If I can message out the assistance I need, I'm more likely to get an effective response. When your basic first aid is "don't move" you want someone to know that you probably didn't set up a bivouac.
I've not looked into SPOT's newest gear for a while, but I did run those with an organization I worked for, and they did work well for tracking, and their new stuff is better (we had gen 1 and gen2 trackers). Again, for solo, it's not bullet-proof, but having a good "last known" is one of the keys in making for a short search, and at the end of the day, you can only cover so many bases. If messaging is low priority, then the SPOT is fine. We used them as a backup to other comms systems, but we had that ability.
I just saw a thing that said the new iPhone14s will have a satellite messaging capability. Not the same thing, but if you don't have a purpose made device it's better than nothing.

Nice!
My wife got herself a hammock tent system and I got to sleep in it once - so comfortable!! Way nicer than the ground.
I’ve been procrastinating getting one for myself (along with one of those Garmin GPS trackers) but it’s happening.
A lot of people seem to love it. To me having to have all the gadgetry and the underquIlt etc. Is too complicated.

Hi All,

I contend that backpacking is extremely important as a way to learn about the wilderness and outdoor survival.

I’m sure it’s possible to learn the same skills while day-hiking or car-camping, but IMHO backpacking is different.

Once you’re carrying everything you need for your trip you see things differently and by necessity have to really prioritize and think about your tools/gear.

I suspect most folks will learn more and more quickly during a backpacking trip vs. a camping trip, and that’s partly why I started taking my son backpacking when he was 5. (Also because I love backpacking and wanted him to as well).

I have friends who even backpacked with a baby (although honestly that seems crazy to me).

When did you start? How about your kids?

View attachment 1695547
Agreed! A multi day hike really helps you sort out gear in a hurry. Turns out you don't need that super steel 3lb Combat smatchet but a good water filter is pretty darned important.

When we were taking scouts out I always wanted to take their moms and dads on the first hike so they wouldn't send stupid stuff on the second one...

I just saw a thing that said the new iPhone14s will have a satellite messaging capability. Not the same thing, but if you don't have a purpose made device it's better than nothing.
I'm a little concerned that the iPhone capability rollout is not well documented from a technological standpoint, and is related to country more than latitude zone, but I'm guessing that it's partly regulatory. That said, it does require you to align the antenna which suggests to me geosynchronous sats, and that will make high tree cover, mountains, and similar areas a bit tougher. I like that they have opted to roll out a test call function, so that will assist people who might want to use it in known areas. Overall the capability is only going to become more common as more cheap satellites go up, and with that more SAR resources will get activated, but as someone who's been damn close to activating a call, and been on many exercises, I'll pay for a hundred false calls if it means one person surviving who ended up needing help.

I may have to do that. I'm at the age where I usually prefer "the buddy system", but that may be a good option.
For me going alone is one of those rare moments when nobody wants something from you and the silence is so noticeable that it sounds loud. And the first times of heading out alone are bit intimidating as a thought but you never feel as alive when you do!

M679HC2.jpg

For me going alone is one of those rare moments when nobody wants something from you and the silence is so noticeable that it sounds loud. And the first times of heading out alone are bit intimidating as a thought but you never feel as alive when you do!

I have been backpacking in groups, and with just one friend, as well as by myself. Each option has it's own rewards and challenges, but the rewards have always outweighed the challenges. The main reasons I'm reluctant to go backpacking anymore by myself are 1. my age, and 2. I've learned the hard way that if something happens, I'm not as resilient as I used to be.

I started as a child and my children did since they could walk. My daughter(youngest kid) started when she wasn’t even born yet. Wife and I did 7 day hike she was 8months pregnant and other smaller trips during the whole 9 months. She came out raring to go!

I have been backpacking in groups, and with just one friend, as well as by myself. Each option has it's own rewards and challenges, but the rewards have always outweighed the challenges. The main reasons I'm reluctant to go backpacking anymore by myself are 1. my age, and 2. I've learned the hard way that if something happens, I'm not as resilient as I used to be.
Everyone has to make their own decisions but backpacking alone can potentially be dangerous or even fatal no matter what your age. They just found the body of a young woman that decided to go hiking by herself in the White Mountains. Would she have survived if she had some company? I don't know, the news story did not have enough detail, but if I were to bet I would bet it would have improved her odds.

Everyone has to make their own decisions but backpacking alone can potentially be dangerous or even fatal no matter what your age. They just found the body of a young woman that decided to go hiking by herself in the White Mountains. Would she have survived if she had some company? I don't know, the news story did not have enough detail, but if I were to bet I would bet it would have improved her odds.
The news report said conditions were zero degrees and 40 mph winds in the White mountains. Unless she had full winter backpacking gear with her, it sounds like it was poor judgment to go up there under such conditions, no matter how fit she was. But when we’re that young, we all feel invincible. Her route (mt Lafayette etc) goes above tree line, where there are strong winds which can cause frostbite and hypothermia in just minutes unless one has good protective gear such as ski goggles.

Last edited:

Totally understood and completely agree!

I guess what I was really trying to say is that while life is fragile and danger may lurk anywhere, I believe that situations that I could have handled okay when I was younger, or at least recovered from - might now place me at greater risk or even leave me crippled or disabled. I'm just trying to use good judgement and play the right odds.

Totally understood and completely agree!

I guess what I was really trying to say is that while life is fragile and danger may lurk anywhere, I believe that situations that I could have handled okay when I was younger, or at least recovered from - might now place me at greater risk or even leave me crippled or disabled. I'm just trying to use good judgement and play the right odds.
Even on day hikes I nowadays try to carry enough to survive an unplanned overnight reasonably comfortably (tent, foam pad, extra clothing/ light sleeping bag, chair etc) in case I injure myself and can’t walk out. Poles, Inreach, Gaia app on phone, headlamp, saw etc

Back