The importance of backpacking

Maybe you can carry freeze dried ice cream on your trips…

Sometimes I bring a jar of nutella, to eat straight out of the jar with a spoon.

One time I was camping at Columbine Lake (10,970') and a group of twenty-somethings showed up. After I had dinner I pulled out the jar of nutella, and it wasn't long before I had a gaggle of young girls around me wanting some.

Columbine Lake is the location where I had some of the best stargazing in my life. Conditions were perfect. I could see the Milky Way reflected on the lake. Here is Columbine Lake in the evening:
6JNG96u.jpg

Speaking of blind faith in technology...

About ten or fifteen years ago three guys were doing a loop in Kings Canyon NP. For those familiar with the area, they went in at Roads End and did a loop southward. On their return to the trailhead, as they were passing through Sugarloaf Valley, they were considering the trail back to their car. The maintained trail went 3000' up and over Avalanche Pass, and then looped around to drop 5000' to Roads End. One of the guys consulted his GPS, which told him that they could cut a number of miles off their trip as well as 3000' vertical if they just went north from Sugarloaf, along Roaring River, to get to Roads End. What anyone with a topo map would quickly see is the reason the trail didn't go that way - Roaring river descends an ever-steepening drainage before dropping down a 2000' vertical cliff. These guys blindly followed their GPS. As the drainage got steeper and steeper, and the river more and more whitewater, they had to cross multiple times, and one of the three guys lost his pack while crossing the river. And then they got to the 2000' cliff. And right then an early winter storm (this happened in October) dropped three feet of snow that night, on three guys who only had gear for two people. I don't think it was a fun night for them. Fortunately for them, their position on the rim of the canyon made them easy to spot from the SAR helicopter, and they got airlifted out. Not only did they blindly trust their GPS, they didn't have the sense to at least look at a topo map to make sure, or perhaps they didn't even have a topo map with them. And another blunder was to go into the high country without checking the forecast, which would have warned them about the coming storm. I have spent enough time in the Sierra high country to know that if there is a winter storm on the way, you had better bring good winter gear and be ready for a lot of fresh snow. Three feet from one storm is quite common, and I have seen storms dump ten feet.

That is the story I usually tell people who place too much faith in electronic devices. I would rather trust a topo map and compass.
Fortunately nowadays with phone apps like Gaia, one can access topo maps which you have preloaded onto your phone and see where you are at any point in time, even without any internet or phone signal. You do need the phone to still have power, of course (or a spare battery for your phone).

Sometimes I bring a jar of nutella, to eat straight out of the jar with a spoon.

One time I was camping at Columbine Lake (10,970') and a group of twenty-somethings showed up. After I had dinner I pulled out the jar of nutella, and it wasn't long before I had a gaggle of young girls around me wanting some.

Columbine Lake is the location where I had some of the best stargazing in my life. Conditions were perfect. I could see the Milky Way reflected on the lake. Here is Columbine Lake in the evening:
6JNG96u.jpg
I once brought a flask of port wine on a trip. When we got to our campsite, I sat down and drank some. Being at maybe 8000’, and probably slightly dehydrated, the port went straight to my head and I almost passed out.

Fortunately nowadays with phone apps like Gaia, one can access topo maps which you have preloaded onto your phone and see where you are at any point in time, even without any internet or phone signal. You do need the phone to still have power, of course (or a spare battery for your phone).
What about some kind of event that takes out GPS signal for minutes? hours? days? Don't think it can't happen.

I agree with those who say take a topo map, a compass and a cell phone / GPS. Satellite messenger would be nice, too. I'm thinking about getting the Garmin InReach Messenger for around $300. Of course, it's possible for satellite communications to be interrupted, so back to topo map, compass and your own personal knowledge and survival skills in the worst case scenario.

What about some kind of event that takes out GPS signal for minutes? hours? days? Don't think it can't happen.

I agree with those who say take a topo map, a compass and a cell phone / GPS. Satellite messenger would be nice, too. I'm thinking about getting the Garmin InReach Messenger for around $300. Of course, it's possible for satellite communications to be interrupted, so back to topo map, compass and your own personal knowledge and survival skills in the worst case scenario.
I used to run around the mountains here in Hawaii with a GPS and phone, then realized on the first day that they couldn't get a signal.

Perhaps so… it hasn’t happened to me yet, but who knows…

Perhaps so… it hasn’t happened to me yet, but who knows…
Maps are relatively cheap and accessible. I often print maps directly from the web - brochures and/or topo maps… FYI.

In the vast majority of lost hikers search and rescue operations I’ve been involved in (maybe a couple of dozen over 18 years on the job) the lost person HAD a cell phone but no map or compass. Many used up their phone batteries (911 calls, flashlight apps, etc.) within hours of the call coming in.

Also for anyone reading that isn’t familiar with map/compass use, please don’t be intimidated by some of the apparent complexity.

While it’s certainly possible to get very deep into the use of maps and compasses, the basics in regards to hiking are pretty straightforward. Learning the basics will take a bit of time and effort but once you have that down I can almost guarantee you’ll end up feeling much more comfortable in the woods with a map/compass than without.

Another good use of the phone, even on a day hike, is to take a photograph of the map for your use in the event you lose/ruin your physical map. Also take a picture of your car and the trailhead for possible use by SAR in the event they need to prove who you are....

Speaking of blind faith in technology...
That is the story I usually tell people who place too much faith in electronic devices. I would rather trust a topo map and compass.
Lambertiana,

I am quoting your post but don't take it personally, I think that what you stated is spot on. But talking about technology...

I started using map and compass so while I am no expert I can make do with them. If the map is reasonably updated and the trails are marked, then you are golden because you can track your progress comparing to the natural features you are crossing. You can pretty much tell where you are at all times.

However, even though the compass allows you to properly align the map, if you cannot take references to position yourself on the map, then it doesn't help much. At night, where you cannot locate mountains, or creeks or whatever... or in the middle of a whiteout... or a landscape without very recognizeable features... you are done.

I belive the GPS is one of the best things you can have when going outdoors. In a separate specific handheld device if possible. As long as you have batteries and you have enough reception, you will always know where you are.

In my particular situation, it allows me to do approaches to ice/alpine climbs at night to places where I have never been before. And also to come back to the car even if the weather is shitty.

The posibility of zooming in and out of the map, the extra information included regarding the name of the trails, water sources, huts, etc that pop up when you move your pointer over them... helps a lot also.

But again, you have to make sure you always have spare batteries and even a secondary device (dedicated GPS + Smartphone with previously downloaded maps).

Mikel

Back