Things you'd like to see out of Redmeadow Knives?

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
John is a one man shop that's staying true to himself and putting out some most righteous knives in the process, to that we can all agree. Personally, I'm super stoked with the few Redmeadow knives I've been able to acquire so far, and am looking forward to more in the future - he spends a lot of time talking with the right people, getting the most up to date info as he progresses; I've seen this.

So, in no particular order, knowing that wishful thinking is often just that - I'd ask for consideration on both a classic R.W. 'Bob' Loveless style Drop Point Hunter and Chute Knife variants, with a twist; use Micarta for the guards, with liners, tapered tangs, and contrasting Micarta for the handles. Just planting seeds here...

What say you guys, anything in particular really pop your fancy?

Great thread idea.
I'd like to see another run of the D-guard Bowies. I believe John said that is planned.
Besides that, I think we all love his stacked leather handles!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Along that line, how about a stacked birch bark handle?

10d1b873dedaedc00723378a03c6b2bd--hunting-knives by Pine Moon, on Flickr

I'm not crazy about this particular knife, but do like the idea of a stacked BB handle (think puukko)
Rosarms, a Russian knife company, does a lot of these.

Another option I'd like to see is stainless steel.

I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone that agreed with me that a Loveless inspired Drop Point Hunter, along with a Chute knife, would be the cat's meow. Thanks guys! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There's a lot of Makers that make really nice Loveless style knives. I literally have zero interest in being one of them. I think to use the Loveless style you should either copy it 100 percent as a tribute or leave it alone.

I do like this thread though, I've been stalking it from when it was posted, I didnt want to throw any influence into it and instead see what you guys want.

Forged hunting knives are my main interests right now. I have a few but want more. I'd also love to see some hollow grinds. I know that other grinds are tougher and theoretically sharper but there is just something about a super fine hollow grind.

There's a lot of Makers that make really nice Loveless style knives. I literally have zero interest in being one of them. I think to use the Loveless style you should either copy it 100 percent as a tribute or leave it alone.

I do like this thread though, I've been stalking it from when it was posted, I didnt want to throw any influence into it and instead see what you guys want.
Aye, but with a name as Conner, we need a proper Clan knife, a
sgian-dubh!

No Loveless clones? Fair enough, how about a spear? Forged, of course. I never owned a spear before...

Tomahawk? Tactical, traditional, throwing, Okichitaw fighting style. Lots are forged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk . A forged head with an easily replaceable handle that's friction-fit would be very cool.

It was probably clear from my enthusiasm at discovering the Pocket Blade thread that I'm interested in small, carryable blades. There are far too few knives (or should I say sheaths?) made specifically for carrying crossdraw, more or less horizontal. That method of carry makes them inconspicuous under a shirt tail and instantly accessible and makes carrying a fixed-blade knife a much more practical proposition in non-tactical, non-hunting, normal daily use. Getting to a knife behind your hip can be tricky when you're sitting, wearing a jacket, etc., and your blade can easily be grabbed by someone from behind in public.

Looking around a lot over the last few weeks, only Dave Ferry (horsewright) and Joe Dozier seem to have a lot of knife/sheath combos for this specific style of carry, and Dozier's sheaths are all plastic. Ferry has at least three excellent crossdraw sheath styles along with lots of styles of usefully short, practical (and beautiful) blades.

John's two crossdraw sheaths are unique designs as far as I can tell, and versatile in being strong-side capable. I can't help but think that there's more room for experimentation in this area.

Back