Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, this is clearly a topic that incites passions on both sides, but let's keep to the matter at hand, which does not include commenting on the mental acuity of one another.

Go to W&C if you feel the need to drop the gloves publicly, or take it to PM.

Thank you.

I do think that some increase to the limit should come with your yearly membership is appropriate. Participation should be encouraged
My ? Is, if all the exchange photos were eliminated, would this solve the problem or not? Is that enough?
My quess is only Spark can answer that.
While it would be great to keep all, if we can't then deleting the least useful while increasing capacity as economics allow seems the way to go.
There is nothing wrong with incouraging image hosting sites, but they really are not for me. Though I am still below my limit
I do have faith that Spark will choose the best answer based on all the facts. Wants can only go so far.

Last edited:
I do think that some increase with your yearly membership is appropriate.
My ? Is, if all the exchange photos were eliminated, would this solve the problem or not? Is that enough?
My quess is only Spark can answer that.
While it would be great to keep all, if we can't then deleting the least useful while increasing capacity as economics allow seems the way to go.
The "problem" was solved when Kevin implemented the media limits we all agreed to with our memberships. The only existing "problem" now is people who ignored those limits, and now feel like they are somehow entitled to dictate terms to Kevin, because their photos are "historically important", and they are also impatient.

I've seen enough image hosts go offline (and many informative archives with them) to think one of the best benefits to an old school forum like this is the self hosted images.

So many old indexed threads with rare and high quality information that it would be a shame for them to slip away.

Hopefully we can find a resolution where natively uploaded pics stay up indefinitely. Deleting sale threads after a couple of months does seem like a good start.

Not to mention, a lot of free image hosts load take a long time for images to fully load.

Theres two complaints, and one is a genuine concern and the other inconvenient. The genuine concern is, how to we make sure we keep the important documentation and make it so people can still contribute important stuff? The other is essentially that people can’t be inconvenienced to host pictures elsewhere, or that they’re concerned anthropologists won’t be able to analyze what everyone’s cats had on them on April 16th, 2024 when Imgur goes belly up.

Just a thought- for things that are truly significant (I.E documents on knife history and how-to’s), we might consider pulling that stuff out of individual contributor storage and having a spot set aside for general site storage unaffiliated with any individual. It’d all become the property of BF. As people generate significant content, we petition Spark to add it to the archive. Sounds like a reasonable fix to the part of the problem that is most significant.

The other thing is… well, you have my thoughts.
I'm not sure why those who have let their membership go, over the bf picture hosting space is full problem...dont just pay a stable 3rd party provider the money they aren't spending here to host their pics. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I like the idea of providing membership options IN ADDITION to 1 year or lifetime. Let us sign up for 5 years in a category at a somewhat reduced price (10%) and/or with a modest attachments upgrade per year. For example gold membership at 5 years would still provide fewer attachments than for platinum but more than the 1 year gold option.

I'm not sure why those who have let their membership go over the bf picture hosting space is full problem...dont just pay a stable 3rd party provider the money they aren't spending here to host their pics. 🤷‍♂️
Think that's a bit unfair. The only place the limit is even shown is if you go into your Attachments and know where to look, so I don't think people knowingly "let" it happen. They didn't realize there was supposed to be a limit, until it was turned on. If it was listed in the description of each membership level, then the discussion might be different.

Think that's a bit unfair. The only place the limit is even shown is if you go into your Attachments and know where to look, so I don't think people knowingly "let" it happen. They didn't realize there was supposed to be a limit, until it was turned on. If it was listed in the description of each membership level, then the discussion might be different.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

there are members whos renewal came and didn't renew. that's their call. one of the arguments is I'm paying for storage space and now it's full. regardless of who, what, when and where routine thats been covered endlessly already. seems if they aren't renewing membership here, why not just pay for a 3rd party pic hosting site that is stable and the pic host problem solved. i dont see what i typed as unfair.......

sure they lose out on selling or asking values and pms etc, but if they already let their membership go, they already let all that go. so doesn't apply to what I'm saying......

there are members whos renewal came and didn't renew. that's their call. one of the arguments is I'm paying for storage space and now it's full. regardless of who, what, when and where routine thats been covered endlessly already. seems if they aren't renewing membership here, why not just pay for a 3rd party pic hosting site that is stable and the pic host problem solved. i dont see what i typed as unfair.......

sure they lose out on selling or asking values and pms etc, but if they already let their membership go, they already let all that go. so doesn't apply to what I'm saying......
Sorry jb, I misunderstood what you were saying. Realize now that when you said "let their membership go over", you meant let their membership expire due to this issue. Thought you meant go over the image limit.

Sorry jb, I misunderstood what you were saying. Realize now that when you said "let their membership go over", you meant let their membership expire due to this issue. Thought you meant go over the image limit.
I only have a florida public school education😁...so.......i write very poorly. it was poorly written, you are right. I added a comma to make it more obvious.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse
These are not kaws or even in the rules., much less enforced. They are limits to membership hidden away in an obscure place that no one not looking specifically for the info, would likely see.
Unfortunately for a few that have greatly exceeded the limit, there is likely going to be no good answer other than an image site.

These are not kaws or even in the rules., much less enforced. They are limits to membership hidden away in an obscure place that no one not looking specifically for the info, would likely see.
Unfortunately for a few that have greatly exceeded the limit, there is likely going to be no good answer other than an image site.
I plead guilty.
And you're still alive? Keep it down or everyone will know it's easy.
Be very quiet.

The "problem" was solved when Kevin implemented the media limits we all agreed to with our memberships. The only existing "problem" now is people who ignored those limits, and now feel like they are somehow entitled to dictate terms to Kevin, because their photos are "historically important", and they are also impatient.

I'm not sure why those who have let their membership go, over the bf picture hosting space is full problem...dont just pay a stable 3rd party provider the money they aren't spending here to host their pics. 🤷‍♂️

That's not the main issue for me but it is an issue. Sometimes, a feather is enough to tip the scales. This and a couple of other things just happened to coincide with my platinum membership lapsing. I haven't decided if I'm going to re-up or at what level.

That's not the main issue for me but it is an issue. Sometimes, a feather is enough to tip the scales. This and a couple of other things just happened to coincide with my platinum membership lapsing. I haven't decided if I'm going to re-up or at what level.
course your call, but I say stay. lots of great folks here. sites been good to ya for a long time. sure unlimited pictures and attachments was awesome for a while. thats over, but so be it. that wasn't the reason to be here to begin with.

in the end though ya do what's best for ya......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back