110 Stories

fsge8 said:
My best friend just gave me a 2 dot Buck 110 w/Leather Case. Can you tell me when the 2 dot was manufactured? It is in excellent shape with no blade nicks. It is stamped BUCK 110 U.S.A. Thanks for a reply.
Bill Whiteman, Arlington, TX

Welcome, Bill.

You've got a good friend there:). The two dot 110 was manufactured between 1974-1980. There are two verison, one with two handle pins, one with three. If you need more info...I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I would be willing to help. Good luck with your 110. Preston

Terrierman said:
...I was in Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 9th Marines....can still remember eating crab and corn soup and drinking liter bottles of Orion beer...

I remember Orion beer...but my love was Aka-Dama Red... :D I spent 1971 at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, w/9th Motors/3rd Mar Div...we chauffeured 1/9, 2/9, 1/4, 2/4, and 3rd Recon all over the place...Floats going everywhere...Nam, Korea, Mt. Fuji [cold weather training]...

A draft at the EM club was $.25, IIRC... :)

chickentrax said:
I remember Orion beer...but my love was Aka-Dama Red... :D I spent 1971 at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, w/9th Motors/3rd Mar Div...we chauffeured 1/9, 2/9, 1/4, 2/4, and 3rd Recon all over the place...Floats going everywhere...Nam, Korea, Mt. Fuji [cold weather training]...

A draft at the EM club was $.25, IIRC... :)

Shoot who knows you might have given me a ride somewhere on Okie, I got there in late '71. 1st Battallion was way up north at Camp Schwab. I had to get up there somehow...And yeah, there were a lot of float trips back then. I didn't drink draft beer on Okinawa, when we were in the EM club it was always Heineken. Since it wasn't American beer, it was the cheapest bottled beer on the menu. Usually we drank it red.

Small world ain't it?

BlackShark said:
Hello Guys!

Any new stories? Keep them comin' !! :)
The BEST one, though it was lacking a Buck connection, was about the Blackhawk, stewardess, and killer squirrels during the Korean War. Hard to top that one.

Terrierman said:
Shoot who knows you might have given me a ride
That reminds me of Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" when he said he liked the Air Force, whenever the Marines needed to fight, they gave 'em a ride.

Still, no Buck connection...
Goose.

Got my 110 in '78 and it is still my favorite, partly 'cause it was the first 'real' knife I ever bought, and partly 'cause it has survived so well, so long. I'm taking better care of it these days; it now has a custom sheath (Vess) and will hopefully end up with a deserving grandson one day.

Buckaholic said:
The BEST one, though it was lacking a Buck connection, was about the Blackhawk, stewardess, and killer squirrels during the Korean War. Hard to top that one.

That reminds me of Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" when he said he liked the Air Force, whenever the Marines needed to fight, they gave 'em a ride.

Still, no Buck connection...
Goose.

Don't want to be a nitpicker, but that line came from Kiefer Sutherland and he said it was the Navy he liked for that reason. I remember it because I'm a Navy vet and laughed out loud when I heard it.

Buckaholic said:
That reminds me of Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" when he said he liked the Air Force, whenever the Marines needed to fight, they gave 'em a ride...

Whoever said it, it's true...I served 15 years in the USAFR (after my Marine duty), in a C-130 Squadron [328th TAS - Mushroom Airlines], and we hauled trash all over the globe...328th owns their own airplanes; flew them every day...drop SEALs in the Virgin Islands; Jumping Junkies at Bragg; Volant Oak rotation for the US Southern Command [Panama]; supplies for the US Embassy in Bogota [coff, coff]; sub for the Bundeswehr Luftwaffe in Europe; Red Flag training at Las Vegas [Nellis]; etc...very rewarding experience...best of all, you don't have to fight... :D

I remember my first 110. Not an "exciting" story though". Was one of the old 440C bladed ones. I believe I got it back in the late 70s, early 80's? I used it for everything, especially while learning wildnerness survival.

I also carried one while in the AF from 88-96, especially while in desert shield/storm.

I like to carry one now. Just started to again that is, after not carrying one for many years. These days its a custom 110 in ATS-34, sambar stag and nickel. Or a cabela's 110 in S30V and rosewood.

One thing I believe that's true, is that the 110 is really "timeless", much like the old SJ patterns.

One thing I believe that's true, is that the 110 is really "timeless",
Absolutely!

I'm wearing my Alaskan Guide 110 on my belt right now, and I just ordered a custom 110 from Buck (asian water buffalo, nickle-silver bolsters, finger-grooved handle, BG-42 blade-steel)!

Just reading all these stories makes you want to own an 110 and make your own stories with it.

What a great thread. I hope this thing never dies. :thumbup:

I got my Buck 110 in 1973. Not my first knife purchase, but it was my first quality knife purchase. Used it for many years, camping, hiking, hunting, boating, on the job, etc. Lots of fond memories as I look at it now, still in great shape for an oldie but goodie. My first girlfriend, my first car, and my Buck 110, I'll never forget them.

:D I'm going to have to get my 110 out and start using it. It's just been sitting in a "bin" with all my other knives in the top of my closet. ;)

That's not a way to treat the 110 now is it? :D

Here's my latest 110 story:

I found out I had a hole in my back pocket last week. I remember hearing a "thunk!," curiously like the sound of a 110 hitting the floor and bouncing under a heavy piece of furniture or shelf, but I was in a hurry and didn't stop to investigate. The hole was verified later, but the 110 is still AWOL.

It was the one I was going to send to the custom shop earlier this year for a BG-42 upgrade, but I kept putting it off because the darned original blade of lowly 420HC was doing okay around the house.

ETA: AWOL 110 is now in protective custoday. I found it under a reclining chair, taunting me. So I gave it a good sharpening and put it back in my pocket where it belongs. I'm thinking it needs an attitude adjustment, so I may send it to Buck Custom Shop Boot Camp for a BG-42 re-programming.

As a young lad of about 17 I was whittling away on a junk piece of pine with my brand new 110. As I recall, the TV was on and I must have been paying more attention to it than the job at hand. All of a sudden something felt wrong... it didn't hurt, really, but I felt kind of a *thunk* when the blade hit the bone on the side of my thumb. The "lowly" 420HC steel sliced a nice clean ribbon of flesh off my thumb and I didn't even feel it till I looked at it.
Never said a word to moms either. I was pretty sure she wouldn't be too thrilled that I tried to lop off my thumb with my new (first real quality) knife. ;> I just cut the little flap of skin off with a Fiskars sewing scissors and wrapped it up tight. Now the Fiskars ... I FELT that, lemme tell ya!!
You can see in the pic how deep/far along the cut went. I think of the scar as my little crayfish friend who always reminds me to pay attention to what the hell I'm doing. So even when my Buck isn't in my hand or pocket, I carry her with me always!
BTW I too had wear holes in the corners of all my jeans' back pockets for years and years LOL.
**question** where can I get a horizontal-carry sheath for my 110 and/or the 501 I have on order? I'm looking for something discreet and comfortable for EDC.

Back