117 CLUB Permanent thread keep adding

That is exactly how I felt about it when I got my first one...I think that Buck should do a Boy Scouts exclusive of the 117.
In our day that would have been great, today's BSA doesn't allow fixed blade "sheath" knives on their property or at their activities (other than kitchen knives in kitchen use). Kind of silly ain't it? OH

Wth is "safe scouting?" :D I thought adventure was the whole point... lol. Yall seen the cost of an outward bound course these days?

wonderboy1377s wonderboy1377s thanks for posting that, I am no longer involved but I remember it being announced around 2000. I was on the District Committee as Eagle Scout Board of Review Chairman and as the Charter Rep for my church when that rule was announced in our council. I thought it strange as when I was a Scout (1960’s and Explorer early 70’s) the BSA sold the sheath knives and the Field Book for Boys & Men illustrated the use of the sheath knife. Glad to know it was either changed or only a council policy. In this case I am glad to be wrong! OH

wonderboy1377s wonderboy1377s thanks for posting that, I am no longer involved but I remember it being announced around 2000. I was on the District Committee as Eagle Scout Board of Review Chairman and as the Charter Rep for my church when that rule was announced in our council. I thought it strange as when I was a Scout (1960’s and Explorer early 70’s) the BSA sold the sheath knives and the Field Book for Boys & Men illustrated the use of the sheath knife. Glad to know it was either changed or only a council policy. In this case I am glad to be wrong! OH
No problem! I was wondering what the policy was myself. I was on camp staff in the early 2000’s and always had a fixed blade on me. My dad currently volunteers for a few weeks each summer at our local camp’s rifle and shotgun range and I know he carries a fixed blade all the time.

I almost cut my finger off on a Scout trip. Using a bow saw. Over 40 years ago. We were not allowed fixed blades at that time, but probably just a troop rule View attachment 2151553View attachment 2151554

My left hand has about 20 scars on it. My right only about 10. Sort of surprising I still have all my fingers.
And here you are in a knife forum...lol

Just put in an order for a pro and a phenolic. I found a source for my desired handle materials. I don't want to order them just to have them around. What would be the first step if I was serious about having one of the known names finish a knife for me?

its more than strange...id dare to call it dumb myself..... to ban fixed blade knives in scouts. my old man was an eagle scout. I still got his fixed blade scout knife he had and used though his time in scouts. a German made chrome plated blade. had a redish colored coating on the metal handle but that all has worn away to bare metal.

Boy Scouts is not the same organization it was. I’ll leave it at that.

Its a topic that belongs in its own thread, probably in the political section.

B BennyBlade those are sweet! Looking forward to seeing them after their custom handle upgrades.

Last edited:
Back