12" Sirupati (Sher)...Or...Rusty's Right!

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
I began wondering whether Uncle Bill had fallen from grace with the U.S. Postal Service when, for the first time, my khukuri hadn't arrived within two days of his shipping it.

Today, however, in the midst of a somewhat hectic day, the fateful knock came upon the door announcing the arrival of khukuri #6, a 12" Sirupati by Sher.

Well, as it says in the subject line, Rusty's right!

During the period that I've been frequenting the online cantina I've heard Rusty mumbling oftentimes about the secret whispers and nuances deriving from his beloved 12" Sirupati(s). As time went on and I began to get a feel for my own khukuris I started thinking that he was probably on to something.

Now I know that he was.

View

When Uncle Bill told me that he was shipping this khukuri to me I was a bit concerned that it might be a tad too heavy or stout as Uncle took pains to point out its thickness across the spine (1/2") and weight (1 lb.).

Now, I don't know what a lighter 12" Sirupati feels like, but I can tell you that this knife is wonderful. Sher is to be complimented.

The balance is such that you barely feel the weight. (I'd estimate the balance point as about 3/4" to 1" forward of the cho.)

The grip fits me to a "T" much like my WWII.
It allows a very secure hold while the "little" knife flashes through the air thrusting, slashing and parrying. The khukuri is easy to control even with the momentum generated by its stoutness. The buttcap is at times noticeable, but not annoyingly so.

Overall length is 12.25", 8" of which is blade. The blade is very nicely finished with brass inlay in the middle section of the "sword of Shiva". There is also a circle forward of the "sword" that I haven't noticed on others.

The edge has one stubborn dull spot just forward of the recurve but before the sweet spot. The rest is sharpened typically based on my experience with my other five khukuris. (Chopping sharp, not shaving sharp.)

The scabbard and frog are quite well done, but the fit of the karda and chakma only fair. They barely fit their slots and need to be wedged in tightly to prevent their dislodging. Of course this dings them up, but I didn't get this rig for the karda and chakma. The karda has a better edge than most, but is still a ways from being really "sharp". They won't see much action in any case.

Other "fit and finish" is what I'd call typical HI standard. Very good with minor issues here and there on the buttcap, bolster, handle and blade.

This knife has (as Uncle advised) minor cracks on the horn handle which I personally don't feel need to be super glued yet. They are barely large enough to get the edge of a fingernail in. I will monitor them and patch them up when called for. For now, they received a loving coating of Ren-Wax.

In summary, I am quite enthralled with this Sirupati. I am glad I listened to Rusty and that my karma led me to this knife by Sher (or vice versa) on a day during which I was musing aloud on the forums about my interest in acquiring one. It is worth much more than the paltry sum Uncle Bill asked for it.

I am now tempted to try a lighter version of this size Sirupati to have an opportunity to compare the feel and function. If anyone has two (stout and light versions) I'd be very interested in your impressions.

Thank you Uncle Bill, and please convey my supreme satisfaction to Sher as well at your earliest convenience.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

[This message has been edited by Blues (edited 06-22-2000).]

Good report, Blues. Now if Kumar could do his version of this same 12 inch Sirupati, it would be quite a comparison between brothers...

Harry

Harry,

James Mattis has a Kumar version. I wrote my friend James the other day and he told me that his knife was only about two ounces lighter. Of course I don't have a scale and am relying on Uncle's estimate of the weight, so I am not sure how scientific our figures are.

I'm hoping James will jump in here as well as Uncle Bill.

I've noticed on earlier threads here and in the archives that some of the 12" Sirupatis were reportedly much lighter than these two.

Rusty, others, can you clue us in on weights and dimensions on your little beauties?

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

Many thanks for comprehensive report. As I often mention and as I notice forumites seem to do -- don't flower up the reviews! Tell us the way you see it through your own eyes as honestly and completely as possible.
Knowing what might be wrong is as important as knowing what is right.

Most 12 inch Sirupatis will weigh about 12 oz. and generally are 3/8 or a bit less in thickness.

Sounds like you bonded with this Sher version about as well as Rusty bonded with his little jewel, Blues.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

[This message has been edited by Bill Martino (edited 06-22-2000).]

Bonded is right, Uncle. Inseparable may be a better term.
wink.gif

It's a great khukuri.

My comments above are observations rather than criticisms.

The only thing that could have made me happier with this khukuri would be if it was delivered sharper.

Had I the room, this khukuri would be making the motorcycle journey to CO, WY and MT with me.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

Blues, I'd forgotten about James' Kumar. Certainly, lets hear from James on this.

Harry

Reading through Blues' review, I'd say his Sher and my Kumar are damn near twins. Balance, overall fit and finish, accessories that want to wander off unless they're forced into their holes ... But no circle in front of the "sword" graphic.
smile.gif

And I gave in and ordered the Bura.
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Congratulations James! I gave it more than a moments thought myself, but I think you'll give it a better home.

Well done.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

The 12"ers are, um, well, *perfect* for what they are.

Actually, I told my wife that the 12" Sirupati was actually a yard.
wink.gif

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

Hmmm...

Put a 12" Sher AK in the mail and it arrives a yard long.

Reminds me of the story of them boxing up and sending machines designed to measure how hard a package was thrown, or dropped, can't remember if it was supposed to be USPS or airline baggage, upshot was that all the machines arrived broken...

I sure could have used something like that today. I was clearing some brush and my poor Hanuman just was not doing the job. Not enough weight in the sweet spot but the length was about rite since there was not a lot of swinging room. The sad part is I found a large rock that I did not expect to see and I chipped a large part of the area just forward of the sweet spot. The tip was also trashed. =(

Regards,

Tom Carey

Tom, that's bad news and bad luck. Hidden rocks are hazards not just for knives but other things. I am reminded of a time when I was riding a motorcycle in tall grass and hit a large cement block which was hidden from view -- went over the handle bars at maybe 35 mph and almost ripped my legs off.

Send the Hanuman back for replacment at no cost. We are out but I'll have some in a month or so maybe.

I'll send you a nice Chiruwa Sirupati, 20 incher, for your work khukuri is you like. Let me know.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Now we know why those old khukuris in Nepalese barns have such thin blades.

Hit a rock.
File the worst of the ding out.
Get a few more dings and finally decide to file the edge all the way smooth.
Do it all again.
The edge isn't as hard as it used to be. Next time the handle breaks I'll send it back to the kami for rehardening.

Keep it up for 150 years or so and your khukuri will be worn out.

Howard, I got this 16" sirupati from John Powell, who reckons it's close to 150 years old, and as you can see it's nowhere near worn out - just getting well broken in
smile.gif
View

Berk

Back