14c28n?

-Is 13c26 in short supply
No

...14C28N offers similar/better performance for a similar/better price, or is it the exclusivity factor?
Similar price and performance. Exclusive is always a plus.

-Is there an approximate time frame that this changeover will happen? (next 3/6/12 months)
Later in 2008

-Will it be a wholesale change, or will certain knives continue to be produced in 13c26 while others go to 14C28N
All 13C26 blades will be changed over. We will be finished with 13C26.

We will be finished with 13C26.

That's pretty blunt and to the point.
Is someone else gonna start using the 13C26?

I'm glad you're changing, I like new things.
I like old things too, like ATS-34, but that's just wishful thinking. :(

mike

Thought this was interesting:

"All steels contain some nitrogen which is effective in improving the mechanical and corrosion properties of steels if it remains in solid solution or precipitates as very fine and coherent nitrides. When nitrogen is added to austenitic steels it can simultaneously improve fatigue life, strength, work hardening rate, wear and localized corrosion resistance.

"High nitrogen martensitic stainless steels show improved resistance to localized corrosion (pitting, crevice and intergranular corrosion) over their carbon containing counterparts. Because of this, the high nitrogen steels are being considered a new promising class of engineering materials."

Source: http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&NM=202

That's pretty blunt and to the point.
It's nothing negative against 13C26 as a grade, but as you can imagine, we've had to really step up to bring on an exclusive grade of steel. We'll redirect our focus on 14C28N.

It's nothing negative against 13C26 as a grade, but as you can imagine, we've had to really step up to bring on an exclusive grade of steel. We'll redirect our focus on 14C28N.

Eggggscelent!

But I still haven't had enough time with S30V, 154CM, D2.....OMG, the list is endless.
I can't keep up. :eek:

Any chance of a Damascus Tyrade?

:D

mike

No but probably, Chive's and Scallion's. Maybe Shallot's if it works out.

OMG!, that's uh, like OMG!

Works out....meaning the Damascus steel you're going to use is readily available,
is decent to work with and there is enough material for all of that.....works out?

mike

Yea, that pretty much sums it up. More or less anyway.

Stay on topic will ya.

Yea, that pretty much sums it up. More or less anyway.

Stay on topic will ya.

You're the one that mentioned Damascus.

No, that was me. :D
(you were thinking I was thinking about you thinking I was thinking about Damascus though)

So, uh......how's that 14C28N lookin?

mike

I'm really excited to try this new steel out. Especially since it is Kai/Kershaw's own.

Ya'll have really kept it under wraps too.
Google just now found out about it.

whereis14C28N.jpg

mike

Nevermind, the answer was earlier in the thread, I just missed it when I skimmed over it.

So... if it turns out that 14C28n is better than 13C26... when can I get the blade replaced in my Needs Work? :D Just kidding.

I assume it will have a little more carbon than 13C26, with the added Nitrogen.

Can we have a preliminary Rc rating?
(Please make it above 60, pretty pretty please...)

Great...now I have to replace 4 Cyclones at least...but I did keep your secret Thomas!

So when you say "similar" performance, is it better or worse than 13C26? For some reason I feel this might be a cost cutting measure...

Definitely not cost cutting ks. There is no hidden agenda here.

With bringing on and developing a proprietary steel, an incredible commitment in terms of volume and cost is involved. Cost reduction was not the goal here. Development of a project of this magnitude negates any chance of reducing ones overall steel costs. If we were looking to cut costs, we would lateral down to 12C27.

With this "all in" mentality, we're undoubtedly not going to sacrifice when it comes to the steels overall abilities as well. Now that would defeat the goal. 14C28N will have very similar characteristics to 13C26, and its performance will be on par or better (I'm leaning better).

We're not the kind of company to step backwards ks, and this changeover is no exception. We've been very satisfied with 13C26, and our relationship with Sandvik has flourished over the years. Again, 14C28N is improved over 13C26 on multiple fronts IMO, and I really feel the customer base will be left satisfied with the change.

I'm speaking in broad generalities here today, as I mentioned earlier, we are currently still conducting internal testing with regards to 14C28N. More specifics will be available in the future, once we have had a chance to really play and get to know the steel.

Hope this is of assistance, and puts any of your doubts to rest.

I guess this is what your little trip abroad several months back
was all about Coach...?

Back