14c28n?

Thomas, can you point out the person with the Aquavit liberated Shallot proto? :D
Jerker is standing next to me in the group photo. He is a very intelligent man of whom I consider my friend. I'm honored to have met him, and feel very fortunate to get to work along side him on projects like these. I hold him in my highest regards.

I've just been reading this thread and taking it all in up til now, but now I have to add. This is one exciting discussion here. I think seeing the pics of the Sandvik mill in Sweden is what really has me amped up. Thanks Thomas for the mini slide show. Very cool.

Cheers,
Jon

Jerker is standing next to me in the group photo. He is a very intelligent man of whom I consider my friend. I'm honored to have met him, and feel very fortunate to get to work along side him on projects like these. I hold him in my highest regards.

Thanks for the info Thomas, didn't figure it was really just the Aquavit.

He posted about the Shallot a while back, right?
Still kind of amazes me, the caliber of some of the people lurking around here. :)

It's great that you have such a great working relationship with Sandvik. That can only help improve the brand.

Thanks for the info Thomas, didn't figure it was really just the Aquavit. :)
What does Jerker have in his right hand drawer?

Rik

Hey!!!

How'd you know what I was thinkin?? :eek:

Back to the topic folks, you know how THEY get.... :D

I'm just as excited about this steel as when ATS-34 was introduced.

mike

Cause I'm pretty sure any man in there right mind
would be thinking the same thing. I know I was. :D

For everyone's information.

She LOVED my Mr roboto :D

ps - I was working in Sweden - not sure what Thomas was doing :rolleyes:

Craig

ps - I was working in Sweden - not sure what Thomas was doing :rolleyes:

Craig

Yeah, working on Mr Roboto moves. :p

Can I go next time if I bring the scotch?

Every time I pass by the History or Discovery channel and see them making
steel, I stop and watch it. Whether or not if I've seen it.
It just amazes the hell out of me and I don't know why.

mike

I didn't need to picture that. Elves doing Mr. Roboto. :eek:
Drifting? This thread? Naaaaah... :p

Okay, serious question for Thomas: what was the main reason for developing this steel? Exclusivity? From your posts so far, it doesn't sound like we should be expecting a huge leap in performance. I'd be happy if it turned out to be identical to 13C26, but I can't help being curious.

You've been very straightforward about this. Don't let us ply too much secret info out of you. ;)

I didn't need to picture that. Elves doing Mr. Roboto. :eek:

mike

I didn't either, but now that I have........I can't stop
laughing.......uncontrollable laughing!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

elf.png

...what was the main reason for developing this steel? Exclusivity? From your posts so far, it doesn't sound like we should be expecting a huge leap in performance. I'd be happy if it turned out to be identical to 13C26...
Exclusivity is indeed something that got us moving forward. Corrosion resistance was up there as well.

And don't forget 14 is better than 13.
Not to mention 28 being better than 26...

;)

Offsetlover, we have to remember that Kershaw is working with specific limitations in manufacturing.
Sandvic makes 19C27, which is equivalent to 440C and the like, the problem with using it is that manufacturing costs go up at the same time.

Kershaw could probably use 19C27 in every knife they make, but you would need to be willing to shell out the extra cost per knife to use it.
The price to performance ratio of 13C26 is pretty good, 14C28N is probably a step up in that it is fine tuned to what you can get out of steel with the manufacturing process they use (at least I can't think of any other reason, and as Thomas said, if they wanted to cut costs they would switch back to 12C27).

If you want high end steel Kershaw has no lack of that. Look at the price of models currently made with CPM S30V, the cost of a knife in 19C27 would be similar.

Back