2012 BladeForums Limited Kershaw Skyline PREORDER Thread - S30V, Blue G10 - $90 ea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen plenty of "steel snobs" before but this is the first time I see "grind snobs"...

I've seen plenty of "steel snobs" before but this is the first time I see "grind snobs"...

That one made me laugh a bit :D

Honestly I am a little disappointed that they're not FFG but all things considered the Skyline is an excellent knife. Having it in a new steel, new finish and new scale color with a limited run commemorating BladeForums is still a lot of icing on the cake, so to speak. I really appreciate efforts made by Spark and Thomas to put this together as well as jimmer_5 for the update. It would be really unfortunate if Thomas leaves the forums because of this.

This noob is still in. Thanks for your efforts Spark. I'd love to see more forum blades in the future. I would guess the more hassle this causes for the people making this happen the less likely it is to happen again. Just my thoughts not based on any inside info but that's how I would feel if I put myself in their position.

Stick around. There are also thumb stud snobs, lock snobs, scale snobs, and lanyard snobs. And don't get me started on the sharpening snobs, who all split atoms freehand.

If there are some of these left next month, I'll pick one up. This month, I just bought a custom as well as the BFC Traditional knife.
The Skyline is a great knife, and I already have two of them. One, thanks to Rob. Another one, I bought.

Wow, thought I'd check this thread again and I came upon a lot of reading material!

Spark, Kershaw, I appreciate the work-in-progress pictures and am still eagerly awaiting this Bladeforums Skyline!
If it would be possible, I'd love to see more w-i-p pics when you arrive at a given stage in production. I really like seeing the progression of a blade from concept to final product.

Thanks for making this happen, Spark and people at Kershaw

I'd have preferred the FFG version too, but they still look great, a better version of the Skyline while also supporting BF :) Can't wait!

Hey, I like FFG over a hollow grind, but, am I going to completely flip out? Hell no! I can see why people get upset but that's when you ask nicely and if there are problems after that, then get mad.

This isn't about expectations, this is about people simply losing their manners.

This knife is still cool. Does the original skyline suck because of the HG 14c28n steel? I'd say no, and the improved steel is a cool thing!

Hey Jimmer (or Spark if you know),
You said it was a new grind, could you elaborate? Is it new for the Skyline only, or something totally different? I have lots of ffg, but love trying new things, grinds, locks, steels etc. So, if this is a new grind or even one not used very often, I think that is exciting. If it is fg and not ffg, can you elaborate on any differences? I do not believe I have a fg knife. Ffg was a selling point for me, but if it had said "new grind style" to begin with, that would have honestly been more exciting. I Appreciate it in advance if you get to this, and would love to see more in process pictures if you get the chance. It is very neat seeing the process, I could do an all-day tour at your manufacturing plant, and want more.

Hey Jimmer (or Spark if you know),
You said it was a new grind, could you elaborate? Is it new for the Skyline only, or something totally different? I have lots of ffg, but love trying new things, grinds, locks, steels etc. So, if this is a new grind or even one not used very often, I think that is exciting. If it is fg and not ffg, can you elaborate on any differences? I do not believe I have a fg knife. Ffg was a selling point for me, but if it had said "new grind style" to begin with, that would have honestly been more exciting. I Appreciate it in advance if you get to this, and would love to see more in process pictures if you get the chance. It is very neat seeing the process, I could do an all-day tour at your manufacturing plant, and want more.

This was answered 3 pages back. Flat grind and full flat grind are 2 different things..

the new grind does not change things for me, I still very much want the knife. If ffg was a selling point for some people I can understand why they got upset. I dont know enough about blade grinds for it to matter.

This was answered 3 pages back. Flat grind and full flat grind are 2 different things..

I asked a bit more than are they different. I realize they are different. As Jimmer has a very good first hand-knowledge of the project, I was hoping for some elaboration on the fg, more from a technical standpoint, and whether it was totally new for Kershaw, or just new to the Skyline. The thread got hung up on the fact that it was not ffg, but I want to know more about fg, and the current knife. For all I know Kershaw is trying something new to them on our BF knife. That would be pretty cool imo. If Jimmer does not have the time to answer this, that is cool. I was hoping to hear straight from him though.

I must be honest... I'm bummed its not FFG, but the grind is different from the regular Skyline grind and this knif will still be a unique limited production unit. One of the main reasons I purchased this knife was the grind, so I'll have to think some more, but I still think if I keep my order ill live the knife.

Big thanks to Spark, Jimmer, and everyone at Kershaw! Still excited about this knife, can't wait to see that stonewash!

I'm disappointed that it is not going to be FFG. It was a major selling point for me but I'm still going to keep the order as it still should be a great knife.

I'm also disappointed in the derisiveness directed towards those of us who expected FFG. Calling us whiners, ungrateful etc, etc is not constructive. I don't think it's out of line to express our dissatisfaction as long as we're not abusive and rude. How would you feel if these were going to be 14c28n instead of s30v and people who weren't happy were told to shut up or cancel their order. Many of us made the buy based on a certain description and the knife we're getting is not that knife.

Having said that, mistakes happen and I appreciate that Spark and guys at Kershaw are even doing this. They didn't have to do any of this so take that into account. I hope this doesn't sour Spark on future forum blades and Kershaw on doing this kind of thing in the future.

This noob is still in. Thanks for your efforts Spark. I'd love to see more forum blades in the future. I would guess the more hassle this causes for the people making this happen the less likely it is to happen again. Just my thoughts not based on any inside info but that's how I would feel if I put myself in their position.

I'm a noob too, saw the knife, thought it was cool...I do not have anything in that style yet... I like the thought of a true Limited Edition...I wouldn't know a FFG from a FG if you stabbed me with it.
I will add my thanks to those involved and look forward to receiving it along with the GEC BF knife.

I am going to leave both my orders alone, and proceed with getting one for my pocket and one for collection. I apologize to anyone that I have upset. Now that I am over the initial disappointment of the no FFG, I am happy to get this knife. It will be a fantastic blade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back