.45 ACP vs 9mm vs .38 Special

i do not know enough to talk about the ballistic differences.

but, i can tell you what i own. i have a revolver and a semi-auto. i figure one of each is good enough and should cover all of my shooting needs. i.e. it's all i can afford. :D With that said, i would like to get a .22 pack/varmint gun.

the revolver is a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp TALO edition (.357/.38). i love this gun...the looks, the feel...i just wish i shot it better. i need to experiment with more loads. i have been reading that this gun tends to prefer a heavier 158-grain round, so i will try that. up til now, all i have shot are the 130-gr.
006_zpsf9kppkra.jpg

My semi is the Springfield Armory XD-9. unlike the GP100, i shoot this SA quite well (for me). i really like it. i don't have a picture, but it looks just like any other one. ;)

Last edited:
Do you prefer a garden trowel, a spade, a shovel, or an excavator?

Depends on what kind of hole you are digging.

I like 9mm for concealed carry - a nice balance of size and power.

.380 for backup is a good choice as well with today's excellent SD ammunition choices.

I have a .45 that I would call my primary carry, but more because it is a beautiful and quality piece than the ammunition holding any special meaning.

best

mqqn

Do you prefer a garden trowel, a spade, a shovel, or an excavator?

Depends on what kind of hole you are digging.

I like 9mm for concealed carry - a nice balance of size and power.

.380 for backup is a good choice as well with today's excellent SD ammunition choices.

I have a .45 that I would call my primary carry, but more because it is a beautiful and quality piece than the ammunition holding any special meaning.

best

mqqn

Hey Andy....you obviously know your guns....curious to know what your primary carry .45 is (thanks) ....

Hi Todd -

Kimber Ultra RCP II in a Galco OWB leather holster.

jdmax02.jpg

best

mqqn

I did the same thing when I saw your Clapp GP100 - sweet piece right there!

best

mqqn

I did the same thing when I saw your Clapp GP100 - sweet piece right there!

best

mqqn

thanks Andy. i think i just need to come out and visit you so that i can become a better shooter. I'll bring the Jack!

thanks Andy. i think i just need to come out and visit you so that i can become a better shooter. I'll bring the Jack!

You are welcome anytime!

John - you have always had great taste in firearms. ;^)

best

mqqn

For those that want something really spicy - how about an AR-15 pistol?

D71_3661.JPG

I have built three of them lately - might as well have a receiver that is logged as a pistol lower, give a man options.

best

mqqn

I've always been curious about the AR pistols. I am fully behind the idea of having a gun "just cause". But beyond the novelty of it, what niche or role does an AR pistol fill?

It is a short-barreled piece in .223 (and 5.56 with a Wylde chambering, but you need 12" of barrel to burn all of the powder in a 5.56 making it more of a flame thrower...) -

With 40 rounds of .223, it is an EXCELLENT home defense piece, and with a good reflex sight it allows two-eyes open aiming and target acquisition.

Along with the fact that the AR-15 is a sound platform, it become an attractive option.

With the current laws, you cannot make a receiver (lower) that has been previously created as a rifle into a pistol or short-barreled rifle (SBR) unless you pay the ATF $200 and get approval from the chief officer of your local law enforcement agency or his appointee.

However, if you instead built a stripped lower, which has been purchased using the AOW or "other" nomenclature on the ATF 4473 form, you now have a pistol receiver which can be converted to a rifle and back at will without any NFA implications.

So - to put it simply, it gives a man options that he does not have otherwise. If you have not fired an AR-15 with a 10 inch or less barrel, I suggest you give it a try.

** edited to add **

If you want to compare, the effective energy of a 55gr .223 projectile, from a 8.5" barrel, is ~700 ft lbs, approx the same as a .44 magnum 200gr projectile from a 6.5" barrel -

So what say you to 40 rounds of ammunition comparable to .44 magnum in a light and easy to aim firearm for home defense?

I cite the following web site to show the comparison -
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

best

mqqn

Last edited:
For those that want something really spicy - how about an AR-15 pistol?

D71_3661.JPG

I have built three of them lately - might as well have a receiver that is logged as a pistol lower, give a man options.

best

mqqn
Now that is cool!

mqqn,
Thank you for the well written and informative post. I'm onboard with the AR platform (though mine is currently set up for predator hunting) and agree that .223 makes a potent and effective home defense round.
I suppose I didn't frame my question properly. I am more curious about the "pistol" aspect of it. Moving effectively and firing with one hand, even with the arm brace strappd to your forearm, seems like it would be cumbersome compared to utilizing a conventional rifle (albiet with a short collapsible stock and a longer barrel unless a SBR is utilized). The ATF issues make sense as well and I hope I don't come across like I'm agaist this in any way. I'm just genuinely curious about the gun.

i do not know enough to talk about the ballistic differences.

but, i can tell you what i own. i have a revolver and a semi-auto. i figure one of each is good enough and should cover all of my shooting needs. i.e. it's all i can afford. :D With that said, i would like to get a .22 pack/varmint gun.

the revolver is a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp TALO edition (.357/.38). i love this gun...the looks, the feel...i just wish i shot it better. i need to experiment with more loads. i have been reading that this gun tends to prefer a heavier 158-grain round, so i will try that. up til now, all i have shot are the 130-gr.
006_zpsf9kppkra.jpg

My semi is the Springfield Armory XD-9. unlike the GP100, i shoot this SA quite well (for me). i really like it. i don't have a picture, but it looks just like any other one. ;)
With fixed sights like on your .357, you need to find a load that shoots to point of aim, and stick with it. I`m pretty lucky with my .38, I shoot the cheaper 130 gr loads, but the better quality 125 gr loads shoot to the same point.

oh btw...speaking of "i have all i need"....stopped by my local shop this afternoon and got to fondle the Smith & Wesson 329PD (.44 mag). never heard of it or seen one. i was blown away. it got added to my list.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57770_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

You won't regret it, I love mine. I normally shoot 180-210 JHP bullets and find recoil to not be a concern. I have played around with heavier bullets and found the recoil to be manageable but not something I can honestly say I enjoyed after a couple cylinders. I'm a huge Elmer Keith fan and know everyone says you need a heavy(240gr and up) bullet to be effective but I've seen what the 180 gr does to whitetail deer and feel confident it is more than adequate for anything I will encounter.

Back