A Few Tips for Using the CS Pocket Bushman

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
I shot a couple of super quick vids today on how to safely and easily close the Pocket Bushman, as well as how to close it one-handed if necessary. This is a great knife for the money that's very solidly built and would do great as a bail-out-bag knife that's affordable and hard to destroy. I've been EDC'ing mine lately--I had forgotten what a great knife it is!

How to SAFELY and EASILY close the Pocket Bushman

A lot of people seem to think that it's difficult or even dangerous to disengage the lock on this very strong and affordable knife. The problem is not with the knife, but with the method of closure. This technique will work even with cold/numb/slippery hands, as it provides a stable and secure grip with minimal effort.

1) Hold the knife with the edge facing away from you.

2) With your forefinger and thumb of your dominant hand, grasp the thumb stud firmly.

3) With your non-dominant hand, pull firmly on the lanyard to disengage the ram lock.

4) Keeping tension on the lanyard, pull the handle up and over towards the blade. DO NOT move the blade towards the handle, as this greatly magnifies the chance of accidental cuts.

5) Place knife in pocket--you did it!

How to Close the Pocket Bushman One-Handed

Most folks believe it impossible to close this knife one-handed but this is quite simply false. All you have to do is catch the projection at the end of the lock bar on your pocket to disengage the lock, then use your forefinger to close the blade. Ta-dah!

Pretty neat.

I have always held the body of the knife in my right hand, pulled the fob with my left and pushed the back of the blade against my leg, pack or something handy. Once the blade is slighty closed you can release the fob and close it like any other knife.

I've always wanted one of those... Great vid, thanks!

It's a great knife that doesn't get NEARLY enough attention because it's so unusual yet simple. One of the best hard-use folders out there if you ask me--it's incredibly strong, has a blade that holds a good edge while being easy to touch up in the field, and it's cheap enough that you won't be afraid to beat the crap out of it. The build quality is impressive for a knife as cheap as it is--the blade on mine is perfectly centered and has NO blade play whatsoever, and I've had it since they first came out and used it hard.

Get one--you won't regret it. :cool:

Shouldn't you be playing with a baby? :D

He was having a quick nap. I've been glued to him nearly every second I can be. He's the best little dude ever--he even gave me an excuse to pick up a blue Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack as a "tacticool diaper bag." :D

Whoa! You just sold me on the pocket bushman with that one hand closing method :eek:

That is one reason why I've never picked on up, I couldn't figure out how to close it with one hand :eek: Great job figuring out a way and posting up the videos :thumbup:

That hook on the end sticks out quite nicely. All you have to do is snag it on your pocket (sort of like a wave feature) with firm pressure and it'll do the job nicely. :)

I've wanted one for sometime, but I am still not sure I will get one. Even though you did sell me on the Viking Machete..

I've wanted one for sometime, but I am still not sure I will get one. Even though you did sell me on the Viking Machete..

How have you been liking that, by the way? I have a few other pieces I have to test out before my next venture with mine, but I can't wait. That thing pretty much explodes through anything it touches. :p

The way I see it, the Pocket Bushman fits into the same category as a Mora. It's cheap and good enough that there's no real reason not to have one. It's a real utilitarian piece of work. You may notice I spruced up the look of mine a tiny bit by replacing the black lanyard with some foliage green paracord. :cool:

How have you been liking that, by the way?

The way I see it, the Pocket Bushman fits into the same category as a Mora. It's cheap and good enough that there's no real reason not to have one. It's a real utilitarian piece of work. You may notice I spruced up the look of mine a tiny bit by replacing the black lanyard with some foliage green paracord. :cool:

I am supposed to USE it? I bought it as a safe queen. :p Nah, I love it. Goes right through anything in its' way. Probably one of my favorite pieces of steel.

It is a inexpensive blade. I will likely end up getting one when I get some more Condors. :thumbup:

When you pick up more Condors be sure to get a Rodan! My other favorite cheap knife. :D

Those knives are GREAT especialy for the bucks they cost. I had one for a couple years but a friend finaly got me to sell it to him. I had to make real sure to instruct him in opening and closing the knife. He loves it.

been batoning with my cs pocket bushman quite a lot lately. Makes me want to buy another one. Good outdoor folding knife for the money.

I've got one and like it a lot. My buddy saw mine laying on my workbench and ordered one the same day and now EDCs it, which is saying something because he's pretty fussy about his gear.

Thanks for the video, you did in 8 sec what it took LT over 3 minutes to do. And better! I got mine from a fellow forumite and stashed it in the BOB. I also like my ROdan!!

I had one and beat the crap out of it and gave it to my brother and now he beats the crap out of it, great knife, great vid too, thanks

nutnfancy has a Youtube video (actually 2 videos) that give this blade a rather negative review. Food for thought.

nutnfancy on YouTube

That guy is clown:yawn: I really don't know who is the man that will use a folder in one bud situation for chopping or batoning:confused:
FortyTwoBlades nice post:thumbup:
IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

When I use it I put the rope on the handle, increases comfort 100%
IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

The PB is a great value knife.
While I appreciate anyone willing to do a video review, I sure wish they could learn to do it properly with in the context of reality!!!
TRY to think about what they're going to say before they hit the "Record" button.
Even a child understand and will not baton with 20$ or 400$ folder:jerkit:
To quote a very wise man(nutnfancy ), "Sorry. I just couldn't control myself."

Back