A Few Tips for Using the CS Pocket Bushman

Kurodrago,

The main issue I have with extended use of the PB is it's very slender handle, after about 20 minutes of whittling and playing with it it starts digging in and making hot spots, I really like your rope idea.

Kurodrago,

The main issue I have with extended use of the PB is it's very slender handle, after about 20 minutes of whittling and playing with it it starts digging in and making hot spots, I really like your rope idea.

I agree completely.
The only thing I don't like in this knife is the huge guard, I think that the guard get a bit on the way... but acceptable:thumbup:

I agree completely.
The only thing I don't like in this knife is the huge guard, I think that the guard get a bit on the way... but acceptable:thumbup:

You can safely choke up on the blade by extending your forefinger above the guard. My only problem is the previously mentioned thinness that causes irritation with extended usage. The rope idea is pure genius.:thumbup:

Nice job on the vids, 42. I'll have to practice that one-hand close when I get home tonight...

Re: batoning- I think it matter a lot what level of batoning you are looking at. I would, for example, split small kindling off of a hard 1.5 or 2 inch round piece of wood by lightly batonin a PB, if I lacked any other capable blade (don't like splitting with hollow grinds. It's just binding prone)

Re: the video- NICE JOB. These are the small tidbits that I wish we could collect into a WSS encyclopedia (or wiki?)

Re: batoning- I think it matter a lot what level of batoning you are looking at. I would, for example, split small kindling off of a hard 1.5 or 2 inch round piece of wood by lightly batonin a PB, if I lacked any other capable blade (don't like splitting with hollow grinds. It's just binding prone)

Re: the video- NICE JOB. These are the small tidbits that I wish we could collect into a WSS encyclopedia (or wiki?)

With proper technique I'd have no qualms batoning the PB, but if I was in a true survival situation I'd do so with the lock disengaged just in case--as we've seen even an Opinel can handle batoning as long as it's unlocked.

Thanks for the compliment on the video! I actually figured out the trick for this last one whilst stuck in road-work traffic. :D

42, I just picked one of these up. Mine is stiff as hell. Did you loosen yours manually or did it ease up a bit over time?

They loosen a bit over time.

I've used mine to baton leaving as little as 3/4 of an inch left to whack at, it's as loose as all get out now, I coulda done most of it with the blade disengaged, but this particular knife came to me from an owner who got bitten by it, I promised to beat the crap out of it.

As far as 1.5-2 inch pieces of wood, I don't think that would cause any damage. It's a pretty stout knife.

42, I just picked one of these up. Mine is stiff as hell. Did you loosen yours manually or did it ease up a bit over time?

It loosens up. Play with it a bunch and the lock bar/blade tang will polish each other until it's nice and smooth. Mine opens as easy as almost any knife out there now, and I can even flick it open as long as I use a little bit of a wrist flick. :)

Good vids/techniques:thumbup:

I agree that the Pocket Bushman doesn't get enough attention as an outdoors folder. Sure, it has a few glitches such as the thin handle, but for the price it's a great "beater" blade that can be put in the truck bag, BoB or used as a "farm" knife around the house for all those chores you don't want to waist you customs on.:D

Nutnfancy makes some decent destruction videos...I don't agree with his methods as they don't address actual (real) knife uses. They do give you a sense of brute knife-strength under certain abuse; interesting, but of now value outside of destroying some nice blades:p

ROCK6

Cool beans. Thanks for the responses. Great folder for the money no doubt. I got mine for just about $20 USD which is hard to beat for value. Stomach flue has me down though. I'm going to do a LOTR trilogy run, I'll open and shut it during the series and see where we get it. The GF always gives me quizzical looks when I do stuff like that cause she thinks I'm crazy. Time to log off as the nausea grows again.

That ought to get it nice and smooth! Talk about a long time to work on it! :eek:

I love mine too. I carry it all the time. I will often pair it up with a .22 thick GameWarded from Busse, or my modded SS from them.

It is a great slicer, and has a really wicked sharp tip too. Great for piercing.

I have never had any issues with lock up. I believe I have the new version, but won't worry about it until I have an issue. I am not going to disassemble it just to check (some one said you could tell by looking though the holes tapped for the pocket clip).

I have a Recon1 I used to EDC a lot, but now it is usually a combo of the PB and a Busse.

Some one also said, if you broke the lanyard, you could not disengage the lock. (whom ever said that must have really weak fingers, because, when I read it or heard it, I went and tried it. No problem).

The action will get much softer. It is actually fast to deploy if you wanted to. I don't really flick mine (the soft handle metal will deform a bit if you flick it too hard or what not. Hardened spine meeting softer handle metal will eventually dent).

Thanks for posting that pocket/one handed close technique. I am going to give that a try, as well as the thumb push.

Again, I think it is a highly under rated knife. I find mine comfortable to use in whittling etc. The very thin overall cross section means it pocket carries very very well. Nice and flat.

Here are some comparison pics.
IMG_2898.jpg

Closed
IMG_2896.jpg

In hand. (it looks small in the hand, but it is actually a good sized folder. 4 inch blade iirc)
IMG_2905.jpg

couple other knives for size comparison in hand.
Black Rhino
IMG_2903.jpg

Modded SS from Busse.
IMG_2909.jpg

Recon 1 old zytel handled Tanto I have had for 10 years.
IMG_2906.jpg

Here is a spine shot for thickness
IMG_2910.jpg

I am honestly thinking about buying one or two more for each vehicle. I would recommend this as a Boy Scout knife as well (as long as you really spent some good time educating them on the lock, and advising not to let anyone else close it until trained on it).

Last edited:
LOL, I just got one, and joined this forum because of the wonderful information on the PB.... I'm a little late to this thread, but I found out that some people take the spring and cut 2 coil's worth to adjust the stiffness. I did about 1.5 coil off, and the knife is now perfect for one handed close and open, but still still enough to work and engage the lock. (Note, I'm not planning to baton with it unless absolutely necessary, e.g. SHTF)

Back