How To A new way to hold pocket stones?

I like to use Edge Pro format stones as pocket stones, and I have been holding them between the thumb and middle finger.

I have not yet sliced my finger open doing it but it always makes me a little nervous especially if I am far from home and help. A six inch stone is already long for my hand so adding thick gloves is uncomfortable and fumble-inducing. I have been thinking about a better way to hold them and today I came up with something stupid-simple that seems to work well, weighs nothing, and takes no extra space. All I need is a short piece of string with a loop tied on each end. I hook each loop onto one end of the sharpening stone mounting plate, then pass my thumb through one and the tips of my middle and index fingers through the other. I gently close my hand and let the stone lie across the back side of my thumb. It is remarkably solid, yet still allows the stone to pivot a little to follow the blade, and my fingers are all well out of harms way. My hand and wrist also feel more relaxed than in my old method.

I will have to use this for a while to see if it needs amendment but I am immediately happy enough with it that I want to share my discovery. If you try this please let me know how it works for you, and if you improve upon it.

4VekxnF.png

Last edited:
This has been in my head for a while.

Nobody makes a stone holder, so you can use it by hand, off the system.

Hatchet, gasket scrapers, wood tools. Lawnmower blade.

Imagine a frame with a hand grip. That holds one of these 6x1 diamond plates.

Someone could be making a million dollars. Someone get on the CAD.

Imagine a frame with a hand grip. That holds one of these 6x1 diamond plates.
I was originally thinking of something like this, but in the process of stripping the concept down to the minimum structure I arrived at the solution above. Please try it, I think you may be surprised at how solid it is. Use a thicker string (flat shoelace) if you want to bear down on it.

I took a piece of scrap wood and put staples around the periphery of the Edge Pro sized blank holding the hone. So, I can use it with my diamond plate, Shapton Glass, Venev, or any of my Edge Pro hones, diamond or otherwise.

I just hold the scrap of wood in my hand or angle it how I want and voila.

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

I just hold them. 20+ years of sharpening in hand on Shapton Glass stones has trained me to hold thin stones. I've cut myself plenty in other ways, but never because I was holding a thin stone and sharpening on it.
I do the same. I mostly use the 6x1 Venev diamond stones as pocket stones. I just lay it along my ring and little/pinky finger to the heel of my palm so the stone is a bit more accessible.

Because the Venev's don't have that lip your method wouldn't really work with my stones M Mr.Wizard

Blues Blues that reminds me of the grinding sticks. I like the idea for around the house but I won't be hiking with that.
For hiking or most any other situation, indoors or out, I just hold 'em in my hand. I can just use more of the space on the hone this way, but it doesn't bother me to hold 'em as I did for umpteen years.

It's simply a convenience that took a minute to put together.

Imagine a frame with a hand grip. That holds one of these 6x1 diamond plates
Something like this?
My design.... 3D print.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYaMkLkGW658r0xGpsTHzLCFFT_avG9a/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_KvmghOpSI6Nst_jwXFdccpoiJvOW5X/view?usp=drivesdk

But this holder is just for home use. I don't take this holder and some of those stones if I go somewhere....not exactly 'pocket' friendly. My modified folding sharpener is much more convenient - 4 stones and a strop in small package.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qfofc7vrilFAPAmhmpWtNdnDXi7uoTpH/view?usp=drivesdk

By the way, I have CAD.... Creo Perametric and we have a 3D printer at work. Two of my friends also have 3D printer, so.... no problem experimenting.
This is just an old prototype. I have a new version in my mind.... for a future project.

Last edited:
I like the idea. So simple. Not fancy stuff needed.
I don't think that I could hold a 6'' stone between thumb and middle finger (or pointing finger). I use pocket stones quite often. And I seem to be more clumsy as I cut myself regularly. Sharp knives are not for anybody.

The pink stone in post #1 is a ruby stone, right? May I ask what other 6'' stones you use as pocket stones for freehand sharpening?

T TheOne45 Looks good. How would one get this? Is the 3D file free, available for a fee, or are you selling the printed holder?

P Papilio I hope you try my method; I think it will suit you well. You will want to experiment with the sizes of the loops; I found that being able to just touch the tip of my extended thumb to the tip of my curled index or middle finger was about right. I tried these loops only to see how much hand tension was necessary to hold the stone, hoping to eliminate any springs, rubber bands, or clamps in a more complicated final design, and I was shocked at how stable it felt with nothing more. I actually want a little bit of pivot motion to the stone as it lets the blade contact the middle of the stone rather than the edges more easily.

The stone shown is a very cheap Chinese "3000# Pink" imaged here that I resurfaced to be more useful. I grabbed it for experimentation so I wouldn't drop more valuable stones. I sometimes use it for field touch-up but most of the time I take an F320 stone, BORIDE T2 or AS-9.

P Papilio I hope you try my method; I think it will suit you well. You will want to experiment with the sizes of the loops; I found that being able to just touch the tip of my extended thumb to the tip of my curled index or middle finger was about right. I tried these loops only to see how much hand tension was necessary to hold the stone, hoping to eliminate any springs, rubber bands, or clamps in a more complicated final design, and I was shocked at how stable it felt with nothing more. I actually want a little bit of pivot motion to the stone as it lets the blade contact the middle of the stone rather than the edges more easily.

The stone shown is a very cheap Chinese "3000# Pink" imaged here that I resurfaced to be more useful. I grabbed it for experimentation so I wouldn't drop more valuable stones. I sometimes use it for field touch-up but most of the time I take an F320 stone, BORIDE T2 or AS-9.

Thank you. I remember your thread about the Ruby stone. I am still amazed about how the stones reflect the print.

This is what I made
https://i.imgur.com/RN7buYi.jpg[IMG/]
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/exk7Zt6.jpg[IMG/]

Looks good. How would one get this? Is the 3D file free, available for a fee, or are you selling the printed holder?
I made this holder for my guided system (second version). It has a hole in the middle to fix it on a guiding rod.
I don't sell files or finished holders. It was prototype and gave me some time to finish a proper stone holder for my next version of sharpening system.
The only way for you to get the files is to first I do some work to redesign the holder to be more 'hand friendly'. Then I would have to upload 3mf files to my drive and post a link.

The stone shown is a very cheap Chinese "3000# Pink"
Same as my stone. It works but I got it just for experiment. Otherwise I don't use it. I put it on a holder deliberately to 'match' your stone color.

Here is what I came up with. It only works with EP style mounts and you hold it in your palm with the "fin" between your middle fingers to stabilize it. For added safety you could put a piece of thin plastic, say some cutting mat, between the fin and body to cover your whole hand. What I am using now has a few improvements but I don't have any photos of it. I am hoping to have it in production in a few months, but with enough interest it could get fast tracked. I have been using it for a few years and have no issues with it. This same basic holder could be used on the Wicked Edge, all it would need is guides screwed to the back for the rod.

Holder-1.jpg

D Diemaker but of course you would have some gorgeous machine-work implement. Is the fin removable for storage? May I see it in your hand as you would use it?

Back