How To A new way to hold pocket stones?

D Diemaker

Did you ever work any further on our other idea we had for working with the EP mounted stones? (I know we had discussed this current topic as well.)

So many ideas, so little time. LOL.

D Diemaker but of course you would have some gorgeous machine-work implement. Is the fin removable for storage? May I see it in your hand as you would use it?
Here are two photos showing one of the newer versions. The fin is held on with a flat head screw and has 3 threaded holes for different mounting positions.

Stoneholder-2.jpg

Stoneholder.jpg

D Diemaker

Did you ever work any further on our other idea we had for working with the EP mounted stones? (I know we had discussed this current topic as well.)

So many ideas, so little time. LOL.
I haven't forgotten it but have/had many things to get done to be able to make those parts efficiently. I should be done with the last of the items I need to make in a few more weeks so it is getting closer, but I still have no idea when I will get sharpener parts made.

Thanks, David. No worries at all on my side. Glad to hear that you are still playing with the ideas. :cool: :thumbsup:

These work very well as hand holders for Edge pro format stones/strops or Venev style rectangular stones.

I designed them for the Wicked Edge system but they work just as well if you use them as hand-held stone holders. I designed them with this in mind so they work comfortably on your hand.

le-series-6-stone-holders-for-wicked-edge-set-of-2_1032x.progressive.jpg

I prefer a 6" working area.
So do I but those standard 6'' stones used on guiding systems are not very practical to carry around; at least not for me.
I do have 6'' diamond plates which are 1 milimeter thick but I'm stil working on a holder with magnets and a compartment (groove or square hole) to hold a few of those plates and a strop of the same size.
This holder should be large enough to be hold in hand comfortably and safely (to not cut myself when sharpening) but stil compact enough to carry around in a backpack or jacket pocket.
In the mean time I'm using my folding diamond sharpener with 4'' diamond plates and I have no problem sharpening long kitchen knives on it if needed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15bW9N9j69Pmfqtf0MRiQFvP2LKhd1vwd/view?usp=drivesdk

Besides; those folding sharpeners are in the range of $5 or so.....not exactly bank account breakers.

Last edited:
So do I but those standard 6'' stones used on guiding systems are not very practical to carry around; at least not for me.
Why is that? A basic Mora is quite a bit larger all around. If I have room for even a large folding knife I can carry an Edge Pro stone. What kind of knives are you using these for?

So many ideas, so little time

So true. But speaking of which....

it doesn't bother me to hold 'em as I did for umpteen years

Ha! I knew you were at least umpteen years old!

In seriousness, for my part, aside from my use of the sharpmaker for microbevels or touch ups, I just hold whatever stone in my hand, unless it's a larger diamond plate, in which case I tape it to a couple layers of stiff foam that I taped together slightly under the dimensions of the plate so that I always have clearance.

But this is brilliant, and I might try to whip up something similar (albeit more basic) with wood:

Why is that? A basic Mora is quite a bit larger all around. If I have room for even a large folding knife I can carry an Edge Pro stone.
Well; with my modified folding sharpener I have option to carry up to 4 diamond plates (1 milimeter thick; 4'' long) and a strop of the same size as plates. I squeeze all of them inside the handles. Usually I put in there #180, #400, #600 and #1200 diamond plates and a strop with 6 micron diamond compound.
This is a very compact setup to carry around and gives me a lot of options. For comparison – the outer dimensions are the same as one of those DMT folding sharpeners. So; a lot of ''power'' in small setup.

Now I'm working on a compact portable holder for my 6'' (also 1 milimeter thick) diamond plates. It will be a little longer as my folding sharpener (obviously) but stil very compact and I will gain two inches of ''sharpening length''.
Because of hollow design it will also allow me to carry in there more diamond plates and a strop.

Imagine the size of the package of 4 EdgePro stones and a strop of the same size.

What kind of knives are you using these for?
I suppose you are asking what knives I'm sharpening on my folding sharpener.
PF949, PF838, PF719, Opinels from No7 to No10, Mora Companion, Bahco 2446, Ruike 118 Jager, sometimes my kitchen knives and all those knives I find in apartments when I go to vacations.

Back