A pretty penny in return for a knife, anybody else heard of this tradition?

I have always done that, my grandparents told me about it. It should be a bit of silver or at least a silver coloured coin, in modern days any coin seems to do.

It's about stopping the "cutting" of a friendship or a connection of some sort rather than an actual physical cut. In ancient times and traditions knives and metals were held in almost magical regard. Often blacksmiths shops were kept outside a village as they were seen to be performing black magic. The gifting or use of silver is a very common theme when dealing with "dark" or "unknown" stuff like that. Think silver bullets etc. :)

Here in the Netherlands we share the same tradition.i gave away a Puma stag handled folder to a guy from the forrestry service in return he gave me a euro coin!nice to see a tradition wold wide!

Hi! I am also familiar with this. In some provinces here it is believed that giving a knife as a gift to a friend will "cut" the relationship. Therefore, those who receive it, give back a coin (of little value) used to symbolically pay the gift received. Sometimes, for this reason, the one who gives a knife as a present includes a coin, so that those who receive it, can return the same as "payment".

In other provinces, stirring liquids or powders with a knife is considered to bring bad luck, hence the rhyme which reads: "Stir with a knife, dispute to come". In some alpine provinces instead, giving a knife is considered a sign of respect and trust. The knife is given always unpacked (but can be with a sheat), holding out the handle to the receiver, to symbolize trust and friendly intentions.

Some people I met believe passing a switchblade with the blade open to anyone will bring bad luck. Also someone believes that closing the blade of a folder that someone else had opened, will bring bad luck. I even heard people who are convinced it’s bad luck to open (or unsheathe) a knife without using it.

Some believe that a knife does not belong to an individual until this has hurt him. Those who believe in this superstition consciously prick a finger on the blade in order to avoid the risk of cutting badly accidentally later on.

Also here it is commonly believed that eating the food from the knife blade, instead from a fork or a spoon (or otherwise bring the knife to the mouth) will bring bad luck (and considered rude nevertheless). Superstitions are somehow interesting to explore and understand :).

The business about it being bad luck to close a knife you didn’t open is actually practical. If you’re using your own knife, you open it, you use it, you close it. If you borrow a knife there’s a safety rule involved. If someone hands you an open knife, hand it back open and handle first. If someone loans you a closed knife, hand it back closed. That way the generous fellow isn’t taken by surprise. The dangerous surprise is when he expects a closed knife and receives an open blade.

I'm familiar with the tradition/superstition. If I don't know if someone I'm gifting to has that superstition I'll include a coin with the knife, so they can give it right back to me if they do. I don't practice it myself other than that, I just see no reason to disrespect those that do.

I never heard of it, but I like it!

Grew up in a broken dysfunctional family where only one grandparent was left to be an active part of our lives, so that said, there wasn't much "tradition" to be instilled in us, let alone of the superstitious nature, but I want more for my son and our family, so I've been trying to incorporate some traditions into his upbringing, mostly if the old school nature, as I'm an old school soul... As a knife nut, Knives being a regular part of our livelihood, this one fits the bill nicely... While I haven't lost any friends over a knife gift yet, I'll definitely be incorporating it into future gifting of Knives, as I believe traditions in general help to keep us grounded as humans, and connected to our ancestors of yesteryear...

I never heard of this.

Good thing you told me this. I just gave my X whom were on the verge of getting back together two knives just a few days ago. I just messaged her and told her she needs to pay me two pennies and told her why.:thumbup:

FYI I'm still using a cheap flea market made in China folder. Yeah its not the greatest and sure it takes more effort but it still gets the job done.

He had a third too and it's the only one I still faithfully continue, to draw your own blood immediately with a new blade. Just a tiny nick will do, for good luck. Specifically to ward off accidental serious injury from the blade later. Seems to be working, haven't had any stitches in quite a while. If you've bought or traded a knife from me, don't worry. They're fully sterilized before and after.
I find this really interesting! Because I was once told that once a blade tastes blood, it'll always want more, and should be gotten rid of. Not to say that I throw away all of the knives that have bitten me of course. ;)

I find this really interesting! Because I was once told that once a blade tastes blood, it'll always want more, and should be gotten rid of. Not to say that I throw away all of the knives that have bitten me of course. ;)

I think it craves blood after tasting double walled high density cardboard... From my experience anyway.

I learned of this tradition from George Tichbourne when I had him craft a knife for me.

I believe he said it went waaayyy back to when knights would give a coin to their swordsmith.

Back