A Simple Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Reeve Knives

Boise Moderator
We elected not to participate in the threads about Sebenza “blade play”, “rock lock” and “warranty experience” because we felt there was nothing we could say in response that brought any new information – it has all been discussed multiple times before.

We have been making the Sebenza for 25 years. We have more knowledge of the lock mechanism design and how it is made than anyone on the planet. We can safely say “we have seen it all” – from those who swear blind they never abused their knife to those who apologize for putting a scratch on the handle; from those who do not recognize when there is something wrong with the knife to those who imagine there is something wrong with the knife. We do know what it takes to damage the lock face, and we do know how to recognize the difference between legitimate wear on the lock and abuse to the lock.

We are proud of every knife we produce, of the high standard in which they are appreciated, and of our reputation for outstanding customer service in support our knives. Our entire staff works diligently to ensure they produce the best possible product and provide the best possible service. We have never maintained that we are perfect, and we have always defended our customers’ right to say their piece. However, when a series of insults and half truths is published such as those posted in the above mentioned threads, we take offense. We keep abreast of discussion on the Forum; we connect pseudonyms with the customers who send in their knives and are well aware of patterns that are not fully presented in the Forum discussions.

We are not going to spend the time to pick each comment apart and give an opinion or comment. Instead we are doing a series controlled tests where we will record and photograph what it takes to achieve the lock damage we saw on the knives that were sent to us by wolf5391, kaosu04, neverdie36. Once completed, we will publish these results and the Forum members can make their own decisions.

Thanks CRK for your response. Nothing in this world is perfect, but in the framelock folding knife world, your Sebenza, Umnumzaan, Mnandi are as perfect as they come. I never doubt when buying a knife from CRK that I am getting anything less than the Best Knife Made Possible. I also know that should I have an issue, that you will do everything you possibly an to make it right and if I ever did have an issue, that I should come to YOU FIRST, rather than start a 10 page thread about an issue when in fact you were never even contacted about it. I have owned to date 68 of your fine knives at one time or another with about 2/3 of that being the sebenza/umnumzaan/mnandi. To date, all my experiences have been positive and when I have had an issue, it was fixed by your staff or by Mr. Reeve himself.

I have read most of the threads over the years and some end up stating that the knife was New from a vendor, only to find out way down the road that it was bought off ebay listed as NIB, when it in fact wasn't. I just shake my head as I have owned enough CRK to easily tell the fact from the fiction. Like in everything, Honesty Is Always The Best Policy.

Keep Up the most amazing work CRK. I look forward to seeing the results of your tests and setting the record straight.

I want to Thank You So Very Much for clearing the air and am very interested in seeing the pictures between abused and normal wear Sebenza's. On a personal note, keep doing what your doing because I love your knives, from the folders to fixed blades, I always feel good knowing I have one with me.

Last edited:
thanks crk for your response. Nothing in this world is perfect, but in the framelock folding knife world, your sebenza, umnumzaan, mnandi are as perfect as they come. I never doubt when buying a knife from crk that i am getting anything less than the best knife made possible. I also know that should i have an issue, that you will do everything you possibly an to make it right and if i ever did have an issue, that i should come to you first, rather than start a 10 page thread about an issue when in fact you were never even contacted about it. I have owned to date 68 of your fine knives at one time or another with about 2/3 of that being the sebenza/umnumzaan/mnandi. To date, all my experiences have been positive and when i have had an issue, it was fixed by your staff or by mr. Reeve himself.

I have read most of the threads over the years and some end up stating that the knife was new from a vendor, only to find out way down the road that it was bought off ebay listed as nib, when it in fact wasn't. I just shake my head as i have owned enough crk to easily tell the fact from the fiction. Like in everything, honesty is always the best policy.

Keep up the most amazing work crk. I look forward to seeing the results of your tests and setting the record straight.

i did!

CRK is w/o a doubt one of the finest made knives in the world. Keep doing what you do. You can't make everyone happy. I can say that every Sebenza and Umnumzaan I have owned have been perfect in every way. The lock up is rock solid, blade is centered, and they are the sharpest knives out of the box period! Thank you Mr. Reeve for your amazing contributions to the knife industry. I will continue to buy CRK for many years to come.

As this is in relation to a thread I started I guess should voice my opinion. I did not intend it to turn into a 10 page crk bashing thread. In fact I feel I have only praised the service I was given with my knife.
The situation was explained to me over the phone and I was satisfied with the reasoning Truly the only lesson ive learned here, buy new. From crk themselves or a trusted dealer. Thats all there is to it. Trust your seller, dont abuse your knife.

Wolf5391, I see from your profile you are an avid bladesmith and making knives is your occupation. Do you make frame locks? I would love to see some picture of the knives you make no matter what type they are.

Wolf5391, I see from your profile you are an avid bladesmith and making knives is your occupation. Do you make frame locks? I would love to see some picture of the knives you make no matter what type they are.

I don't see what this has to do with this thread (this isn't the place for it), PM me if you want to talk.

Not to brag (well maybe a little) but I own 22 Chris Reeve Knives, one on order and some extra work done on another. I even have a Chris Reeve Walking Stick. It is safe to say that I have voted with my wallet. I look forward to the data. The scientific method rules.

It will be interesting to see the video.

My large Regular is my favorite knife of any brand, but I have always been concerned about "reports" about how easy it is to damage the lock on Sebenzas. I would like to find out if they are true or myth. I think part of the problem is the continued warnings about not aggressively flicking the knife open. It seems like CRK is the only TI framelock maker that discourages this. There are other manufacturers that not only encourage flicking the knife, but make them with assisted openers and/or flippers that force an aggressive opening. So what is the difference between these high quality TI framelocks and CRK framelocks? How come it is okay to aggressively flick these open, but not CRK's?

I am hoping this video/photographs/tests clears it up for me.

Obviously CRK cares about their reputation and wants their customers to be happy. Any company that cares enough to reply to a group of guys on an internet discussion forum has my vote.

Thanks for the post!

It will be interesting to see the video.

My large Regular is my favorite knife of any brand, but I have always been concerned about "reports" about how easy it is to damage the lock on Sebenzas. I would like to find out if they are true or myth. I think part of the problem is the continued warnings about not aggressively flicking the knife open. It seems like CRK is the only TI framelock maker that discourages this. There are other manufacturers that not only encourage flicking the knife, but make them with assisted openers and/or flippers that force an aggressive opening. So what is the difference between these high quality TI framelocks and CRK framelocks? How come it is okay to aggressively flick these open, but not CRK's?

I am hoping this video/photographs/tests clears it up for me.

Simple math. Do you want your knife rock solid for 2 years or 20 years? Sure, flicking can be fun but cutting is task.

Would like to take this moment to request some new and more exciting wood inlay options. Only thing holding back my next sebenza purchase is the options for the inlays.

To the folks at CRK - I base my opinions about your great knives primarily on my own experience with them. That experience has been that CRK makes fantastic, robust cutting tools. I own several CRK folders.

Thank you CRK for a 'wellsuited' reaction to all the threads you mentioned!

It is the kind of response I can truly appreciate, and I really really like the fact that you do take all this "blasphemy" serious enough to engage in a series of tests!!

I haven't owned as many Cr's as some of the people here, but I am very keen on Quality....!
Hence my 4th CR is on the way!!

Please keep up the great Work

Gtrzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back