A2 Tantos!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm making some Tantos in a great size for every day carry. Check 'em out!

These are made from 1/8" thick A2 steel. A2 is really good steel that I think everyone will like, it has the toughness and edge holding of tool steels but is easy to sharpen and maintain like a high carbon steel.

A2steel.png

USA made Steel
027-3.jpg

011-10.jpg

007-15.jpg

Oh boy... this one will cost me... Will you be cord wrapping all these or putting scales on them?

Oh boy... this one will cost me... Will you be cord wrapping all these or putting scales on them?

:D I'm likely going to put scales on 4 of them and wraps on the rest. I still consider leaving a couple with no wrap or scales but I like using all different handle materials.

Thoughts on these...

Handles

Rayskin with Tsuka Maki wrap - I have black, emerald green, fire red and cream white.

Pure glow scales

Crypto scales

Toxic Green Scales?

Paracord wraps - I have lots of colors but maybe a few in black on black

Pricing Includes the sheath and shipping within the US, international shipping is extra

$85 with Paracord - this is a permanent wrap soaked in West System epoxy. I have tons of cord... lots of variety so just ask. :D

$100 with Rayskin

$125 with G10

$140 with Pure Glow scales - these glow insanely bright I also have Crypto for this price.

Let me know if you want one and I'll make one custom for you!

Last edited:
Dude this reminds me, I've got a project that's right up your alley. I'll shoot you a pic and some details tomorrow. In short, my old FB edc was a japanese styled production blade that had a big following but was in a poor steel choice and too thick behind the edge. It is no longer in production and I would love a properly done version, but I don't know if you can handle the dreaded double chisel grind! Athough since you have laid off orders for a while, I'll just send you my knife to check out and find the inadequacies (sp?!) and make a proper one. I think even humble 1084 in Ald's new .100" would be a vast improvement!

-Xander

Oh and how much for one of those with no handle but a series of holes down the tang?

-Xander

Ohhhhh... magic words. Email incoming :D
Email sent! :D

Dude this reminds me, I've got a project that's right up your alley. I'll shoot you a pic and some details tomorrow. In short, my old FB edc was a japanese styled production blade that had a big following but was in a poor steel choice and too thick behind the edge. It is no longer in production and I would love a properly done version, but I don't know if you can handle the dreaded double chisel grind! Athough since you have laid off orders for a while, I'll just send you my knife to check out and find the inadequacies (sp?!) and make a proper one. I think even humble 1084 in Ald's new .100" would be a vast improvement!

-Xander
I'll have to talk to you on that.

1084 is good stuff, the grain is so fine it gets crazy sharp. Does he already have the .100? That could be nice for lots of stuff including machetes.

Oh and how much for one of those with no handle but a series of holes down the tang?

-Xander

I almost did some that way but need a better way (or a mill probably) to perfectly line up the holes. They are hardened now. Next time!

Last edited:
Dude, X-Y drilling vise. I'll sell ya mine, it won't fit my drill press. So how much for one sans handle?

It was confirmed that .100" 1084 will be in the next batch he gets. I don't know how long, but he goes through it quick!

-Xander

Dude, X-Y drilling vise. I'll sell ya mine, it won't fit my drill press. So how much for one sans handle?

It was confirmed that .100" 1084 will be in the next batch he gets. I don't know how long, but he goes through it quick!

-Xander

You must have the same X-Y vise that I have, I swear it should have fit!

Last edited:
Haha, it fits the table on my press, just if I turn it on a 45*! But it must be the same one!

Check this- put an edge on it as soon as you can. No finish work, no vibratory finish, no sheath. I have some ideas, I want as cheap as possible. What say you? Do you even want to offer something like that? Let's talk...

-X

Daniel,
What's you ETA on these (for budgeting purposes)? Thanks :)

ETA - Two Weeks!

There are a couple of days left before I get to the scales, custom options are still open.

I'll try to grind one to show the grind soon, It's going to look nice.

These are about 60 Rockwell and will be made to slice.

I ground one out to try my new stonewash media. This is the look I am after!

Acid Washed

010-7.jpg

Nicely done!

-X
Thanks! :D

very cool! love the style
Much appreciated!

Like the look! Sent pm.
Thanks again!

What are the dimensions on this one? If I missed them, sorry about that.

Mike N.

Hey Mike, good to see you here!

These are roughly 6" long with a 3.25" handle and 2.75" blade on average. They are .125" thick A2 tool steel. These will be great neckers or pocket knives.

My wife is making a streamlined pocket sheath for these if anybody wants one. We are offering them as a $20 upgrade.

Thanks to Sloth357 for the excellent sheath suggestion! :D

Do all these tanto have just the one large hole? Thinking it might be nice to have just the one and keep the rest of the weight.. guess at least one more small hole for holding scales on :D

What we got on these lately? Photos! I hear the masses screaming for more photos :D

Thoughts on some close together jimping on the tops of these? about an inch long.. hmmm or not! work it!

Back