• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

OK now I get it
Sellers are asking for Paypal gift because Buyers are demanding it
Go figure..

Hey Grizzley
Not sure of your issue.
Mods on this forum advise very strongly against Paypal gift
Why are you taking it personally?

That's weird - I've been trying to respond to a few posts, and it won't go through; but I've been able to reply to other threads. (hoping this works, so I can edit/add to it)

Seems to be an issue with the quotes, which will complicate things slightly. Hopefully it can be understood without much trouble.

Binalith
I don't know where you got that idea; but the recipient of funds is charged for each transaction (except gifts), regardless of whether the source is PayPal account, bank account, or credit card.

Grizzley
Yes, I have done that on a number of occasions. I don't believe any seller has simply accepted my offer as a result of those messages...though, on 2 separate occasions, sellers contacted me a couple weeks later to re-offer the items without the gift/+% terms. Other than those times, I received many more rude responses than professional ones.

Monofletch
PayPal's protections aren't as great as a lot of people think. Outside of eBay, they don't care about Item Not As Described issues. I've gotten screwed on that one a few times, as have a number of people I know personally. They (PayPal) also "don't cover live animal sales"; and I wouldn't be surprised if they said they wouldn't cover weapon sales under similar circumstances...though that is merely speculation. (I do know of a couple knife makers that had a lot of issues with PayPal because of their product line, which is part of why I think that would be the case).

Last edited:
I'm not. And I think at this point the horse has been beat enough.

And your response was personal bud. "Oh I get it, sellers are asking for paypal gift because buyers are demanding it"

I never said that. I said that some buyers have asked to pay that way, not that they demanded it and that I work with whatever people are comfortable and mutually agreeable.

And just for your information the last two transactions I conducted were conducted with the goods and services option, not the gift option.

Is this "Another Paypal Discussion" or the "Read Grizzley Repeat Himself Discussion"?

Why you should avoid the gift option unless sending an actual gift:

1. It violates PayPal terms thereby cheating them of their fee for facilitating your deal.
2. It sets a bad example for newer members who don't realize the risk of losing PayPal protection on a bad deal.
3. It is unnecessary since the seller could have offered a total price including shipping and handling, insurance, PayPal, and cost of the item.

But go ahead, do it your way, don't let me coerce you into doing it the easy way for both buyer and seller.

Don't worry Essav. I'm done. Sorry for the rant and representing the unpopular side of this discussion.

Let me preface with saying that, in certain instances, I have no problem with utilizing PP Gift.

However, to lend further validity to the example. This is more like getting paid in candy bars that have been taken from Walmart (possibly with the full knowledge of Walmart staff.)

So I'll take a flyer here and say I believe you are wrong....I believe using Paypal gift for anyone who isn't a close friend or relative is, in fact, illegal; Paypal will lock your account and call you persona non-grata if they catch this type of behavior. If you choose to accept chocolate bars as payment.......while unconventional......there is nothing unethical in your request!! I like the idea, but I my rapidly expanding waist might not......nice idea my friend!!!

And FWIW, I have had BUYERS contact me and specifically request to pay with the "gift" option even though I stated that my preference was the goods option. So believe it or not, not all sellers are out to get over on you or rob you. I will usually work with whatever the buyer prefers and is most comfortable with and I am very open to communication discussing the terms of the sale.

-Griz

I call shenanigans! Why in the world would a buyer request to pay with Gift?

Call it whatever you like but unless you know me personally in the real world, don't call me a liar please. I take offense to that.

And what if the buyer requests to pay with the gift option? Because that has been requested from buyers from me before. Should I call the FBI on them?

I prefer the goods and services option but I am willing to work with buyers that ask for specific payment options as long as it's mutually agreeable.

Why don't you contact PayPAl and tell them you have agreed with the buyer to defraud PayPal? It would prevent boredom.

I have used the gift option.

I wish someone would clarify this protection that doesnt always protect.

The gift option was created as a means for sending money to family/friends in urgent situations. By the very name, the money is A GIFT; so, if you use it for a payment, PayPal won't give two sh**s if you don't get your item. There is no dispute, no claim, no nothing, because you gave the person the money rather than purchasing something from them.
Also, as an added bonus, if you use a credit card to fund a purchase using the gift option, you will be charged the Cash Advance rate.

The gift option was created as a means for sending money to family/friends in urgent situations. By the very name, the money is A GIFT; so, if you use it for a payment, PayPal won't give two sh**s if you don't get your item. There is no dispute, no claim, no nothing, because you gave the person the money rather than purchasing something from them.
Also, as an added bonus, if you use a credit card to fund a purchase using the gift option, you will be charged the Cash Advance rate.

You been here a month, wheres your rep ?

I have purchased on more than one occasion using PP goods and NOT received the purchase and PP did NOT back it.

I'm no expert but I would guess that if PP was getting so much money stolen, they would remove the gift option.

This is the way it's gonna be with me from now on. I won't buy, sell or trade with anyone who asks for gift payments asks me or anyone else to cover their fees. Or has all their posts in just the exchange and contribute nothing else here . I have never asked to be paid by gift or asked a fee and I expect to be treated the same.

I can understand the gift part, but logically speaking if they build the price of the fees into the price they are asking, you ARE covering the fees as well. just my $0.02

I can understand the gift part, but logically speaking if they build the price of the fees into the price they are asking, you ARE covering the fees as well. just my $0.02

Best post in this thread (IMO).

Some people will complain about a free beer.

I just had to pass on a blade I've wanted for a few years. The price was decent, but it was one of those Gift or + 3.5% deals. 40 minutes after I saw it, it was claimed (I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did). In cases like that, it's tough to stick to principle...and there's no sense trying to talk to the seller because they know that they can put you on hold and the knife will sell under their terms.

If they're not hard to stick to, they're not really principles.

Back