• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

When I sell stuff I ask for GIFT.

Because I buyers remorse.
Wify said no.

And I also Post pics of item being sold.

Complain all you want.
But feedback.
Time spent on forum. Active poster
mean alot.

I dont sell here becasue of the ""GOT TO BE GOLD" Sell.

and total FAIL.

Sorry...but was this meant to be some sort of demented Haiku?

There is only one way to stop ppl from getting ripped off with the paypal gift scam.
That would be if you ask for pp gift then you get the ban-hammer period do not pass go but the liklyhood of that is slim to none.

It is a matter of honor for me. If I am sending money to a charity or a friend I use the gift option. If I am buying something from someone I use "goods." I will not lie to PayPal or anyone else regarding the nature of a transaction. That is not being self-righteous. It is about being honest and having integrity.

Obviously he does , otherwise he wouldn't even be considering doing the right thing.

I agree.. Couldn't sleep leaving that as my last thought for the day. Sorry Pellel2, I'm not here to judge anyone. Peace to you all.

From my brother Brian:

I have been using paypal for years and I always wondered why a seller just didn't flat rate his wares rather than the "Gift" option request I see in several For Sale' posts.
Our Family Shop used this Rate System In House for many years.
Declaring this (M+L+A*GM 23%)Add Tax + Fee / to the IRS' quarterly:
M Factor -I forge a log drallet. My materials are $123.00
L Factor - I have 3 hours of shop time at a declared $30 an hour. $90
A Factor - My warranty factor and admin costs 8%. $17.04
GM Factor - My gross margin is 23% of M+L+A= $230.04 + GM $52.90 = $282.94 r to $283
There is no legal taxing of fees. Taxes of shipping and fees to merchant are figured into price charged to merchant. I always crack up when those are added onto materials, totaled, then taxed, and then this is passed on to me.
PP Fees $25.30 and Co Taxes $20.70 + City $18.86 (Lyons Co 8.2%) Ships USPS any Continental (If It Fits It Ships) $32 / $96.86 r to $97
$283=$97=$380
Flat Rate $380

I didn't read every single post here, but for those complaining about sellers who ask for PayPal fees, you should tell them that's frowned upon. Not everyone knows that. When I first started selling my knives, I asked for the PayPal fees simply because I didn't know any better, and saw a lot of other people doing it. To me, it looked like for every PayPal transaction, I was just going to have to make less money. And while that is basically true, I don't ask for the fees any longer. In fact, I didn't actually charge one customer for the fees, in the end. But looking back, I wish I had known it was a poor idea. I was simply ignorant. Not everyone is, but some sellers simply may not know.

Sam :thumbup:

Binalith
I don't know where you got that idea; but the recipient of funds is charged for each transaction (except gifts), regardless of whether the source is PayPal account, bank account, or credit card.

Since this interaction I've Pm'd a BF member I bought something from today, just to make sure. I sent him 34 dollars with "I'm paying for good or services" and my linked checking acct. He received 34 dollars. No Fees. No Fraud.

Since this interaction I've Pm'd a BF member I bought something from today, just to make sure. I sent him 34 dollars with "I'm paying for good or services" and my linked checking acct. He received 34 dollars. No Fees. No Fraud.

Interesting....
I've had a business amount for 9 yrs, and a personal account for probably 8yrs before that.... granted, I've taken the last two yearsfoff from sales, but I don't ever remember receiving payments without fees being taken out. I'll look into this further - thanks.

I just wanted to take a minute and apologize to anyone that I may have offended earlier in this thread. I've been on both sides of the fence on this topic and was just presenting my opinion. It was not my intention to offend or anger anyone but rather just offer some healthy debate on the topic. I appreciate everyone's opinion in this thread and will take what a lot of you have said into consideration going forward. Hope all of you have a great Monday and a good week.

Thanks,

Taylor

I've stated in many thread here that I won't buy from anyone that mentions the "Gift" option in a sales thread.
Just passed on a knife about 5 minutes ago because of it.
Yes, I could've sent him a PM asking if he would sell it for that price if I paid as "goods", but I assume if a person would be the type to rip off Paypal they just may be the type that would try to rip me off too.
People need to run when they see the gift option, IMO.

There was a thread in Tech not long ago and most all wanted the Gift option banned, and for very good reason. I think it would be much more easy to enforce than when they made the no talking in a sales thread rule(which was a good rule), and hope one day it will be enforced here.

I've stated in many thread here that I won't buy from anyone that mentions the "Gift" option in a sales thread.
Just passed on a knife about 5 minutes ago because of it.
Yes, I could've sent him a PM asking if he would sell it for that price if I paid as "goods", but I assume if a person would be the type to rip off Paypal they just may be the type that would try to rip me off too.
People need to run when they see the gift option, IMO.

There was a thread in Tech not long ago and most all wanted the Gift option banned, and for very good reason. I think it would be much more easy to enforce than when they made the no talking in a sales thread rule(which was a good rule), and hope one day it will be enforced here.

So if PP gift is so immoral and dishonest why it hasn't been banned from the exchange? Or set a rule about it? I think this is a valid question

So if PP gift is so immoral and dishonest why it hasn't been banned from the exchange? Or set a rule about it? I think this is a valid question

Because the Mods have enough to do here and don't want to have to police PayPal exchanges too. Hopefully people that insist on getting payment thru gift will be found out by PayPal and their accounts closed.

That is a good question, no doubt about it.
Because the Mods have enough to do here and don't want to have to police PayPal exchanges too. Hopefully people that insist on getting payment thru gift will be found out by PayPal and their accounts closed.
This is a good answer. Some folks I've had discussions with (a couple mods included) are for banning the gift option. We're talking things over. Ultimately it will need Sparks approval, and without his say on this matter we can't charge forward with changes of this nature. Please read the exchange rules as they were updated on March 1st. There is a section in there now stating that you use Paypal gift "at your own risk" because you are giving up your buyers protection.

Maybe a simple rule..
If you use Paypal Gift and get screwed, Don't ask the Mods for help..

Eventually if you get enough payments thru gift PayPal will catch on then your screwed so its not just bad for the buyers its a bad idea for the sellers also.

'Maybe there should be a thread in 'General' or someplace where a lot of people are likely to see it, explaining the gift option and it's problems. Maybe a short closed sticky thread in the Exchange maybe with some Paypal links. I know I didn't really understand it. I hadn't really seen it as a huge moral issue but I went and changed changed my listings to reflect what I read here. I don't use gift but I ask for 'no fees' pretty often because I assumed everyone knew that you can link a checking acct and not have to pay fees. paypal prompted me through the process when I signed up.
More Education, Less Rules.

'Maybe there should be a thread in 'General' or someplace where a lot of people are likely to see it, explaining the gift option and it's problems. Maybe a short closed sticky thread in the Exchange maybe with some Paypal links. I know I didn't really understand it. I hadn't really seen it as a huge moral issue but I went and changed changed my listings to reflect what I read here. I don't use gift but I ask for 'no fees' pretty often because I assumed everyone knew that you can link a checking acct and not have to pay fees. paypal prompted me through the process when I signed up.
More Education, Less Rules.

Agreed. It will almost be impossible to police pms and emails with transactions amongst members negotiaing with the gift option.

Maybe a simple rule..
If you use Paypal Gift and get screwed, Don't ask the Mods for help..

I agree with this...maybe a simple extra line in the seller section stating that PP gift is not to be used in any way will suffice. Most of sellers read the rules. The mods should not waste too much time and most of the exchange regarding this new rule will self control by the buyers themselves.

Back