Any good knife sharpeners out there?

Anyone know someone who sharpens knives that's really good at it? Lol I have a spyderco military that needs to get scary sharp. I was going to send it back to spyderco, but I dont feel like waiting 3 weeks to get it back. So if you know anyone who is good at sharpening, let me know. Thanks

Member Richard J seems to get great reviews. Have you considered learning to sharpen yourself? It really is a fun process once you get the hang of it. I dull my blades far to quick to consider sending them out.

I'll second richard j. Excellent work and extremely fast turn around time and he's excellent to work with.

Give him a PM and he'll tell you what to do.

Thanks for the info. I spent some time with my lansky sharpener. I got my knife to slice through paper pretty well, not quite as good as the spyderco factory edge tho. I'll think it over tonight and see if I should send it to richard j.

Go down a bit and maybe back a page and check out his thread "is your time important to you" about paper wheel sharpening. It's a great thing.

ya i've read it. I would really like to get into paper wheel sharpening. I just need to find a good bench grinder first.

Last edited:
ya i've read it. I would really like to get into paper wheel sharpening. I just need to find a good bench grinder first.

Harbor freight buffer. I'm using a ryobi 6 inch grinder but am going to get the HF buffer for my clearance.

Whats the rpm's on that harbor freight buffer? I'm not seeing it in the specs on the website.

1/2 hp, 2,000-3,450 rpm. Adjustable tool rest and spark deflectors. 3/4 in. Wide medium and coarse grit grinding wheels. Flexible work lamp. Cast iron housing.

2.5 amps
Variable speed 2000-3450
Cast iron base
Adjustable tool rest
MFG Brand Name : Delta
MFG Model # : GR275
MFG Part # : GR275

Google Chico Buller! He's got a world-wide reputation as being one of the very best! :thumbup:

And he doesn't use power equipment, so he won't burn the edge on your knife.

jesse, go read my last post in this thread. listen to me and you'll be just fine. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671724 i have been sharpening knives for about 35 years, the past 18 with the paper wheels. i have sharpened knives worth a few thousand dollars and havent burned a blade or even come close. i regrind or convex blades on my belt sander quite often and hold the blade in my bare hands quenching often. i have been thinning the edge on a knife i'm testing and the blade is still as hard as when i first made it. an old toolmaker i showed the wheels to told me a knife can take more heat than what you would think and not ruin the heat treat. he said a light coffee brown isnt very bad but blue is.

Google Chico Buller! He's got a world-wide reputation as being one of the very best! :thumbup:

And he doesn't use power equipment, so he won't burn the edge on your knife.

last person on earth i would send my knife to......if i was dying on the side of the road and somehow a sharp knife could save me i'd die in peace rather than let him sharpen my knife.....ryan

last person on earth i would send my knife to......if i was dying on the side of the road and somehow a sharp knife could save me i'd die in peace rather than let him sharpen my knife.....ryan

I'm guessing theres a reason for this...? Please enlighten. I personally haven't heard of him but would like to know why to stay away.

i know what u mean richard....ryan

supminkeyface....he's a fake...a phony....a charleton.....he charges absurd prices....has no idea what he is doing....that's enough reasons for me right there....he's been banned on a few forums too....how hard is it to not get banned on a forum?....ryan

I'll second richard j. Excellent work and extremely fast turn around time and he's excellent to work with.

Give him a PM and he'll tell you what to do.

+1:thumbup: Fast turnaround time + Scary Sharp!!!:eek:

i know what u mean richard....ryan

supminkeyface....he's a fake...a phony....a charleton.....he charges absurd prices....has no idea what he is doing....that's enough reasons for me right there....he's been banned on a few forums too....how hard is it to not get banned on a forum?....ryan

So are you saying that you wouldn't send a knife to Chico Buller because you have a personal grudge against him????:confused: I've seen his work. To say that he doesn't know what he's doing is absolutely ludicrous.

One of my good friends, a biologist for USFW, has Buller sharpen all of his knives, and he get's the best job of sharpening and polishing that I've ever seen. :thumbup::thumbup:

Personally, I don't care about personalities when having work done. I just want the best possible workmanship. And from what I've seen, that means Chico Buller.

hey ben...that's fine if u think he's good at sharpening....i know otherwise.....no big deal....that's the great thing about forums....everyone has an opinion and u can decide for yourself......ryan

My vote is for RichardJ, he is a great guy and I have been making some scary scary sharp blades with his advice. I can just imagine how sharp he gets his knives. I have heard nothing but great feedback for RichardJ. Do some research on other folks who sharpen and the feedback that they have recieved. Then decide who you want to send your knives to.

Back