Any ideas on a good hiking boot?

Right now, I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners, but one (there ARE many more) problem with hitting middle age is that my arch has fallen...boots are now too small. Any ideas on a rugged hiking boot for hikes ranging from day hikes to week long trips? Gore-Tex lining, or equivalent material, is a must. I like the Sundowner series just fine, but if I'm going to spend $100 to $200 I might as well change it up a little. I'm considering Danner M.L.'s II, but would like a little more feedback on what is out there if you have any.

Thanks,
Glenmore

If you go to your local Barnes & Noble or quality news (magazine) stand, you should be able to find a magazine called Backpacking or Backpacker. They putout a annual issue called Equipment Guide and there review on boots is incredible.

I've done a fair amount of hiking and I tend to choose my boots by how they feel on my feet as a primary factor. After than I try to find a pair that are water proof, and have a sole with a tread that provides good traction but does not easily clog with mud, etc.

Brand name means little to me for a couple of reasons. First is most of the big brand name boots are very pricey yet not necessarily better than others. Also I have a pretty wide foot - and normally wear a EEE or EEEE both widths hard to find in hiking boots. So I pick mine mostly by how they feel.

They don't have the gore tex lining but you should check out a pair of Justin work boots. Seriously, they are the best lace up boots I have ever worn. And judging between my Justins, and the guy I bale hay and straw with's Redwings. The justins outlast the redwings too. Their about $120 a pair and are the second most comfortable boots I have. The boots that beat them are a pair of crepe soled ropers (cowboy boots) also by Justin but thats not exactly what your looking for.
Anyhow with a good coat of neatsfoot oil every couple of months The leather will last for years and years, and is prety much completely water proof , in terms of keeping you feet dry. The soles are made by good year and don't seem to wear at all. I think their coming out with a pair that has kevlar soles too. They come with or without steel toes. And they really are comfortable enough to wear every day all day. They have some kind of special insole that Justin came out with that makes them great to wear, and it doesn't seem to wear out either. So they'll be comfortable for as long as you have them.
Check them out.

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

Oh yeah , just remembered that you need a place to find them at. I got mine from Rod's western palace in columbus when I was getting some stuff for my horses. But thats not exactly close to tennesee.
You can look at them at www.justinboots.com
Click on the double comfort workboots icon that comes up, or look throught the catalog listing of boots for the original workboots.
I think their stock number is #j674

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

I've got the worn out middle aged feet problem.What DL said about one man's meat etc.Vasque exodus 2 hiking shoes are the only shoes I own or wear.I buy em 2 pairs at a time.I care more about comfort than price but these arn't pricey either.

Finding a pair that fit right is the most important part.

I have had my Asolo Pinnacles for about 5 years and they have held up well, but I don't get to put the mileage on them the way I used to (or would like to).

Re: Arches: An aftermarket insole may be the best thing for these. Most good hiking stores have both out-of-the-box insoles and the ones that are heated and formed to your feet. Neither option is particularly expensive.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Thanks all for the input. Clay: good thought on the thinner insoles--I actually tried that one several weeks back, but my toes were still cramped. DL: that was one review site that I hadn't found and I thank you (its in my favorites now). As I said, I was looking at Danner's ML IIs, but the pair Greg showed from Cabelas appears to be similiar enough (couple inches taller) AND $40 cheaper that I think I'm going to take the plunge with those. Appreciate the replies.

vr,
Glenmore

I wear the Danner go devils wich are like those except black, and 11 in high.Best boot i have ever worn,reserves and, sheriffs dept. s.e.r.t. the inserts that come with the boots are outstanding!!! you will love them.

Another place to find a number of independent reviews would be in the boots section of Outdoor Review.

It's a pretty good site with alot of other informational reviews on equipment such as backpacking stoves, packs, sleeping bags, water filters, all the cool gear stuff that junkies like us appreciate.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

To me, boots are very personal, because it's all about the fit. You can get many recommendations for good boots, but they don't mean anything if they don't fit your feet. Ill-fitting boots can ruin a backpacking trip. That's why I'll never order boots online without having tried them on at a local store first.

Here are a few brands that I've tried and "fit" my foot well.

Merrell
Vasque
Salomon
REI (made by Technica or Raichle, I think)

All are well-made and very durable, too.

Do you want a REALLY comfy hiking boot? Then try running shoes. Really. Seriously.

Before you run out and buy another pair of big ol' honking heavy duty hiking boots, I would seriously recommend you buy Ray Jardine's book, "Beyond Backpacking". There is a whole section in there on foot wear and Jardine has revolutionized backpacking with his "go light" approach. And he hikes in running shoes. Seriously. Here are some of his sections: "Boot fallacies", The ankle-support myth" and "Advantages of running shoes." And much more.

I would also check out http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/
and http://www.backpacking.net/gearshop.html (no shoe here though)

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Hello everyone,

I work at a backpacking store here in LA and I can tell you that it is all in the fit. The sundowners are great boots and I am sure they served you well. Unfortunately Vasque has moved there production to China from Italy and the quality of there boots has gone down. I would say that my favorite boots are Lowa boots. They are made in a small factory in Germany that over looks the Alps. Almost everything is done in one factory, from tanning and dyeing the leather to hand made lasts and waterproof laces. Also if the problem that your having is fallen arches that are causing you to gain a size or so they I strongly suggest you look into Superfeet an insert that will support the calcanueus shelf that is on the bottom of your foot just behind the arch and the fattie tisue in your heel and will keep your foot from collapsing and will also help with over pronation (which is the action of the foot rolling to inside when walking or running). check out Lowa's website www.lowaboots.com for more info. Also check out Asolo boots.
E-mail me if you have any questions.

P.S. Gore-tex is totaly overated a good pair of leather boots can be waterproofed and will breath much better than a Gore-tex boot. Although Gore-tex is pretty good in jackets and pants but in boots it does not breath at all.

------------------
When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to muder him he calls it ferocity.-George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by krazykat (edited 05-31-2000).]

Re: waterproofing: I have had good luck with Nikwax Aqueous Solution. Backpacker rated it very high a while back (don't you love it when you have been extolling the virtues of something and then someone else feels the same way
smile.gif
)

Be sure to get around the welts. That's where I have the most problems.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Hey krazykat:

What shop do you work at? Is it REI in Northridge or maybe A16 in Reseda?

hey squid,
yeah i work at Adventure 16 in tarzana.

------------------
When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to muder him he calls it ferocity.-George Bernard Shaw

I have worn my Danner Ft. Lewis boots for a long time now and I wouldn't trade them for anything!
They're waterproof, they let my feet breathe decently and they're generally comfortable and tough as nails.
Sorry, Krazykat, I don't agree with you on the Gore-tex issue. For serious hiking in semi-dry/wet areas, I'll go with a good quality goretex boot like the Danner's or a pair of Meindl boots anyday. For more mountain oriented and dry areas I would go with a full leather boot treated with the right stuff. That is, if I don't have my Danner's. Then again, like said above it's an extremely individual thing. I happen to like Gore-tex, cause it keeps my feet dry and doesn't make me sweat like some ordinary, treated leather boots will.
Hell, if you treat a leather boot to be completely waterproof, you're basically turning the leather into a moisture barrier. Not exactly conducive to keeping your feet from sweating.

------------------
Regards
Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

Back