Any ideas on a good hiking boot?

It really is a very individual thing. Some people can get away with a trail runner or approach shoe [the hiking version of a running shoe] and some people need more support than that. If you're really going out there and plan to be carrying significant loads or encountering rock strewn hills or mountains, you do need something with a solid sole and midsole and a very supportive structure. Hey, maybe some phenoms out there can do it in bare feet, but from experience [ when younger once my canoe went down in a storm and I did 14 days in moccasins] I can tell you that I can't. Boots that feel supportive and light when you're just walking can be completely inadequate when the going gets tough. The best boots I know of are the custom made Limmers. I've been waiting for mine for two years. Only two more years to wait. They also have a midweight and a lightweight version readily available, but these are actually made by Meindl in Germany. I hear they are very good. My main boot is a Scarpa SL. Most people rave about them. I found them very very hard to break in but eventually they worked in and now I love them. They've taken a real beating and look it, but they're still rock solid. I can say, without exagerration, they saved my life at least once on Ellesmere Island. I understand this model has been improved with the addition of a rand and slightly different midsole. It's not heavy as such boots go. In Canada they're expensive but you should be able to find them down there on sale for about $140 - 160, unless things have changed re the Lira. I also own a pair of Fabiano Rio's which are a little heavier and tougher than the Scarpas. I got those for $145 on sale a few years ago. You don't realy need a 4+lb. boot like that unless you intend to carry 60+ lbs on your back or weigh well over 200lbs yourself, like me. I also like the Danners too but never really used them for serious hiking. The newer Mountain Light is very highly regarded and sounds great to me because of all the sole/midsole layers. Probably not great if you are a trailrunner and want to go light and fast.
I used to swear by Goretex. You don't need it if you have a great boot like the Scarpa or the Fabiano or the Limmer. I've never had a leakage or seepage problem even untreated. And they breathe. The best treatment I've used is Tectron, but if the leather isn't right and the boot isn't constructed properly, like my Timberlands, forget it no matter what you use. Anyway, check out what's available in your favorite store, try 'em on and remember - if you're going heavy what you need is different than if you're going light and fast. My $.02 Canadian.

had a pair of vasqs for 12 years before they wore out, now i have a pair of timbs. the timbs are ok but i only bought them cause i coudn't spend the $200 for another pair of vasqs at the time course when i am more solvent i am going back, a few hundred spead out over more than a decade is a good buy.

I also am a big fan of the Danner Ft. Lewis boot. In fact I bought my 1st pair while stationed at Ft. Lewis (Dco. 15th ENG BN, 9th ID) back in 1988.
I wore them in Washington and later in Korea, and later still in Kentucky and they served better than any other I have tried.

BUT, check out Matterhorns, they are nearly identical to the Danner's but are less expensive.

I also agree about the running shoes for summers or pleasant one-day outings.

I love Asolos. They fit my feet like gloves. I also don't like Gore-tex in boots, as I find it makes my feet sweaty. Just my comments.

Back