Any love for serrated victorinox swiss army knives,and serrating paring...

I like plain edges better,but use these ones too,theyre great for edc and kitchen too,not hard to sharpen at all.very practical when cutting on plates,dont get dull easily ,and cut all soft materials with ease.All comments welcome

I'll pass. I loathe serrated edges.
Even my "bread knife" has a plain edge, and does not crush a fresh baked loaf of bread when I slice it.
(Unlike that fraud, "Cheif" Tony, I know how to slice bread.)

Last edited:
I love the Vic serrated paring knives, but hate them on my pocket SAK. I tried a serrated recruit, but ended up giving it away. For me, the serrated blades stay in the kitchen.

Serrated paring knives are excellent,i use serrated on folding 111 sak....very good for steak cutting on ceramic plates

I generally like the Victorinox serrated blades. I have a lot of 91mm and 84mm In the collection and EDC rotation. All the 60% serrated mountain series variants. Misc. kitchen knives, baker, bread, paring, including some restored Forschner stuff. The folding pairing knife is great for the campsite. But there’s some of the OHO 111mm blades that have really rounded tips. Those drive me nuts.

Sharpening and maintenance do require a bit more skill and consistency, IMO. The extra effort is worth it. Especially if the chisel grind is retained.

Last edited:
I've had the serrated tomato cutter victorinox that has been banged up in the sink and drying rack for years and it still does what it's inteded for in the kitchen. Last summer I got myself the folding one that I keep a little better and it would be the one to take with me to the paradise island because it cuts forever and forever. 😄

Forgot about some of the other knives and multi-tools that have serrated blades like the Sport Ratchet, AutoTool, and this 84mm Alox

rs=w:400,h:400

Both blades are serrated on the 84mm. Black w/yellow shield is a bit unusual.

Serrated ones are easy to sharpen,and keep cutting for long time.Its good to have a choice,they should offer more serrated versions on 84 mm and on all alox versions

I actually like my serrated Spartan.
SAK blades get the abuse in my arsenal, so I like having a blade that handles abuse well and can keep cutting.
Easy to sharpen - I just use a coarse rod.

I actually keep a serrated Spartan in the suitcase just for this reason. It never goes anywhere else. It never gets taken out for anything expect as handy back up to make some ugly cut or open a package when we travel. It rides in the inside netting, and has lived there for about 15 years. If gets stolen when the bag is checked, who cares. I don't even remember what I paid for it. I think the last time we used it, we needed something to cut a bagel in our hotel room. I just keep it clean and stropped, and it's not needed any other care in a decade and a half.

For me, a serrated blade is an emergency backup blade that never gets used. I definitely don't want it in the primary knife slot. If a multitool has it as a secondary, then I'll take it, but given the choice I'd rather have something else in that slot.

So yeah, the serrated spartan gets no love from me. It's not very popular either, except among some collectors who only want it because it isn't very common.

I love the serrated Spartan. So much so that I picked up a spare. Victorinox's serration pattern cuts a lot smoother than just about everyone else's because it's a nice uniform pattern, and the scallops aren't all that deep. It doesn't hurt that the chisel ground edge is super thin, and will sail through most soft materials.

I love the serrated Spartan. So much so that I picked up a spare. Victorinox's serration pattern cuts a lot smoother than just about everyone else's because it's a nice uniform pattern, and the scallops aren't all that deep. It doesn't hurt that the chisel ground edge is super thin, and will sail through most soft materials.
This. So much this.

This is why I don’t like some of the 111mm serrations. The one I’m talking about isn’t the typical shallow style, but nearly as deep as they are wide/spaced. It’s terrible geometry.

rs=w:600,h:600

Last edited:
This. So much this.

This is why I don’t like some of the 111mm serrations. The one I’m talking about isn’t the typical shallow style, but nearly as deep as they are wide/spaced. It’s terrible geometry.

rs=w:600,h:600
I've got one like that as well, and you're right. It doesn't perform as well as their other serrations. However, I find it still outperforms compared to the styles used by say Spyder, Benchmade, Buck, etc..

I like how the softer steel and shallower serrations of the victorinox line respond to stropping. I don't think I have ever taken a strone to one. I dullest one I had was a belt cutter on a fireman model. I stropped it on a sanding sponge to really get down in grooves and then took it to a loaded strop to finish. Cut just fine after that.

I've got one like that as well, and you're right. It doesn't perform as well as their other serrations. However, I find it still outperforms compared to the styles used by say Spyder, Benchmade, Buck, etc..
Yeah, almost everyone else grinds deep serrations. They end up being more like saw teeth. The deeper the grind, the wider the angle of the actual edge towards the tip in a sharp tipped example. The 111mm pictured above really only slices at the tips and valleys. Scrapes like a saw in between, I guess. The only nice thing about that blade is that it’s still chisel ground on the plain edge to the choil.

This knife has resided in the breast pocket of my Carhartt Bib overalls for years while I am out cutting, splitting and stacking firewood. Very handy to have and has held up very well. It used to be my EDC as well but has been replaced by my Taggedout.

SAK.jpg
I keep the serrations sharp with this handy tool I have had forever:

Sharpener.jpg

Last edited:
A SE cuts natural and man made fibers much better than PE.
I keep hearing this, but it has never been my experience. I have seen SE knives that were sharp outcut PE knives that were dull, but in my experience, a sharp PE cuts synthetic and natural fibers just fine, and at least as good as SE. That's just my own experience, though.

Back