Any Machinists out there? A picture for you to think about...

If anyone wants to make this, feel free to, as long as you give me two for my Wife and I free. Then you can sell them all day long and make money.

I would agree to solid Aluminum if I can be convinced that the Aluminum used would be so hard the threads would not strip easily.

photo10.jpg

Thanks Guys. Hopefully someone skilled and and eager will step forward to make it a reality. It would be great.

The thing with Ti is that you have to get new dies and cutters. You totally have to retool. I will show this to my buddy, but he has regular steel working bits in his lathe.

Anybody wants to donate the bits, I will turn them my self.

If somebody out there has Ti tools, and is going to make one, I will take one.
Reed

Originally posted by Reed
The thing with Ti is that you have to get new dies and cutters. You totally have to retool. I will show this to my buddy, but he has regular steel working bits in his lathe.

Anybody wants to donate the bits, I will turn them my self.

If somebody out there has Ti tools, and is going to make one, I will take one.
Reed

Reed, what about a very hard Aluminum Alloy? It's an impact tool, not like the Ti-Pencil in the other thread. You could make this very strong out of Aluminum, I'm worried about easily stripping the threads.

If you got a good batch of T6, probably. It depends on how thick and how deep the threads and how tall. His stuff could probably do aluminum, I would have to ask him. We have been doing steel, mostly stainless, and thinking of doing some .50 cal uppers for AR15s. I haven't done Aluminum and I thought I heard somewhere that you had to retool for that to. I will call some machine shops intown, my father thinks that one of them does Ti. I don't think it would be worth it to do it my self, if I only get a couple done. I will let you guys know tomorrow, either way.
Take it easy,
Reed

Hey Don,
I got a couple suggestions and questions.
Do you want a true point at the base or a beveled ring, or a rounded point or no point? Second, how about using some Emerson skull clips, do you think it would be okay? I could bend them to go around and get the pen cap tapped with the three hole configuration. Any other suggestions, and I would like to hear what everybody thinks.

I think I am going to get the hollow fitted for a spring to keep the pen tip even and with constant force, and use Space pen ink fillers.

Anybody feel free to contribute.
Thanks,
Reed

I called a machine shop in town who does special orders, and they said to come on down and talk with them. They said they could do Ti if I have the stock. I am going to call in some favors and go down and talk with them. Will let you know how things go.
Reed

Can someone post the picture back up. I can't see it on the original thread.

Eda Koppo,
Thats my setiments, and I think that is what Don Rearic is feeling. I am going to get some estimates and will try and keep the price down, but right now, I am waiting on material estimates. I will give you guys an estimate on final price soon, and we will go from there.
Again, nobody wants this to be really expensive, but we are going to have to see.

Bandit, it is a solid titanium pen 6 inches in length and 1/2 inch in diameter, using inards from a space pen. It is designed to be used as a kubaton (I think that is how you spell it). Hopefully Don can post it again for you.

Reed

Gents,

Yeah, the general idea is to use the innards from a Fisher Space Pen, more specifically, the Bullet Pen as that would be the smallest insert and it would still write terrific.

Fisher Space Pens are great pens anyway and this would be very cool to have.

Who in the hell is going to take your pen from you? Plunk the thing down in the tray with your pocket change and car keys...away you go...

Someone does not like the looks of it and they start yanking on the cap, because Airport Screeners are slightly below the average Chimp in intelligence...just tell them, "the cap screws off..."

Hey! The damn thing is a pen.

Can I be on my way now that it is not a James Bond Weapon? Would you like to take it apart so you can see the ink cartridge?

Can you believe a damned Kubotan is considered a "prohibited weapon" by the Airlines? It's insane, but it is true. There are so many readily available objects that could readily substitute for one in a pinch. It is still nice to have something purpose-driven...

A Kubotan is a defensive weapon, and it is a keychain as well. There is no way in a rational world that it should be prohibited from being carried on a Commercial Airliner...yet they are.

What about Employers who act like Airlines? Well, you have to wear a work I.D., here you are. No one should have to reach out and "heft" your pen. Screw'em.

The whole idea is to have a High-Tech Pen in appearance and in reality. That's what the idea is. What someone can do with it after that is up to them.

Mel Tappan wrote many years ago in "Survival Guns" (An excellent book I might add) and his opinion of knives for Self-defense notwithstanding;

<font color=red>"The most efficient weapon I know for use in close quarters is the Yawara stick. It can be lethal, but only when used deliberately for that end...

Once you become expert in its use, you will be able to employ any number of substitutes almost as effectively. The most convenient of these ersatz devices and one of the most innocuous is the German made Mont Blanc 'Meisterstuck' fountain pen. This is not only a devastating weapon, properly used, it is also the best writing instrument I have ever seen. I am seldom without one."
</font>

Massad Ayoob wrote in, "The Truth About Self-Protection;"

<font color=blue>"With the exception of the cane or walking stick...none of the martial arts weapons are legal for street carry and self-protection. These include the Yawara stick (a short piece of wood designed to reinforce a punch or an edge of fist strike, also used in Bo-Kibo fighting techniques to hook into the corner of a man's mouth, punching out his teeth and then ripping his cheek open to his ear). Often improperly called a Judo stick, the Yawara is more often taught to Jujitsu students.

...The Kubotan was an evolution of a previous system developed by Kubota called pen fighting. Seeking a simple self-defense method that could be used by average American Citizens with little training, Kubota built techniques around solidly constructed ballpoint pens."
</font>

He then went on to describe the differences why the Kubotan became flat on the ends...to avoid punctures, etc.

Then went on to describe the Mo-Gem Flashlight which was about a one inch in diameter Aluminum Flashlight, about 8.5 inches long.

Too bad no one is making those anymore. Maybe that should be the next project guys. Have a solid Aluminum Flashlight body produced and then design it around the innards of an excellent LED Flashlight. Have mutliple LEDs, like 2 to 4 white ones, and then have the batteries stacked like a regular flashlight.

Make it ten inches in length and three-quarters of an inch to one inch in diameter. A real nutcracker.

There is a method to my madness. Back in the 80s when I was taking JuJutsu, I had exposure to some odd things, one was the Yawara. So, I have learned other things along the way and incorporated them into what I do. But I draw from any and all sources in the rush to create new things.

On this pen, I am thinking about the Lanyard. Using a neon colored 3mm Kernmantle Cord would be great, but a choking hazard for those less skilled. Neon colored things scream "innocence."

I am also thinking of some way to have a Quick-Detach link between the Lanyard and the Cap so a firm tug would release it.

The use of 550 ParaCord or 3mm Kernmantle Cord opens up possibilities of a V-Gar type of System as well...the JuJo, Garrotes, etc. That depends on just exactly how you set the Lanyard up to begin with. And I'm thinking about that as well.

Don-
as a fellow "collector" of helpful thingies, might I suggest that you take a gander at the site:
http://www.glow-bug.com

Click on the LED Flashlights- and check out their 8x Nightbuster- heavy, solid, and 8 LEDs on there, and I think it has a lanyard attachment...as soon as the white LEDs come in I'm getting one or two...
:)

Kelt,

That is one KICKASS light Dude, thanks for running it down!!! That's the bomb right there folks. Why make it on a Custom Basis if it is already being made? That is very cool indeed.

I love LED lights, they are great. That is more or less what I envisioned, the "Mo-Gem" Ayoob wrote about and used to be available years ago, and the use of LEDs instead. Great...excellent as a matter of fact and not too pricey. You could have one for car and pocket no problem.

I think I am going to do a piece on LED Lights in here in the near future. They are very Tactical. Sometimes "Tactical" does not mean lumping someone on the brainpan.

Don you mentioned that you would like some sort of quick release device. If you go to your local fly-fishing shop, you should be able to find a little brass clip with a split ring attached to it. The idea of this is to attach it to the d-ring on the back of your fly vest collar and then clip your landing net to the clip. A very firm tug on the net releases it from the clip. It would be ideal in this situation. I am not sure what they are called but the sales staff would know what you are talking about.

Hugh

Hugh! OUTSTANDING!!! I shall go to the local Fish & Gun Shop this week and see if I can find them. If so, I will probably be obtaining them for "The Ti-Pen Project" in the near future, along with 3mm Kernmantle Cord.

Would a kydex sheath similar to the one designed for a Fisher be to "obvious" for the Ti-Pen.
http://www.thewritersedge.com/images_01/Pocket_Pal_Side_J_Clip.jpg

If the Pen barrel had some grooves milled into it (for grip and/or decorative purposes) then you could mold the least bit of Concealex around it to hang from a lanyard.

Along a more traditional pen design Grayson Tighe is making some nice Ti and Carbon/Ti pens with a Cross type action.
http://www.tigheknives.com/bpengold.html
http://www.tigheknives.com/bpentitac.html

Stay Safe...
Clyde

Back