Any Machinists out there? A picture for you to think about...

Just a quick note in case the current machinist set-up falls through.
I saw this guys link over in the Gadgets and Gear forum under a thread on wedding rings. He makes titanium bands pretty cheaply because his website says he has his own machining equipment.
I remembered reading this post and thought of you guys. Perhaps ya'll might approach him for this or other projects. Here's a link to his website. http://members.aol.com/bboone5619/titaniumrings.html
I don't know the man myself but I was impressed with what I read about his set-up to work with Ti.

It's nice to see a bunch of guys with minds that work like mine. Most people I know around here (sheeple), think my gift for turning any common thing into a combative tool is deviant. ;}

Last weekend, I couldn't tell whether my friends were amused or horrified after I took some 50# test Spiderwire fishing line, two clothes pins and a couple of minutes to fashion a killer garrote that I then used to slice (with ease) the watermelon we were having after dinner. ;}~ Mwaahaaahaaa! 150# test would have worked even better.

Sincerest Regards,
Nobody

Thanks Nobody and Rawhide_Clyde,
Those are good suggestions. Clyde, I will ask about flutes. Nobody, if these guys come in too high, I will contact your guy, or if you want, we can get you the plans and you can contact him.
Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming,
Reed

Originally posted by Nobody
Last weekend, I couldn't tell whether my friends were amused or horrified after I took some 50# test Spiderwire fishing line, two clothes pins and a couple of minutes to fashion a killer garrote that I then used to slice (with ease) the watermelon we were having after dinner.

Congratulations, you just made a nice Garrotte. [The spelling varies]. The British SOE used Cheese Cutters. Same thing. I don't know if those things are used to do this anymore, I have never seen one, but in the early 1900s, apparently that was the way it was done.

As for the fellow doing the Titanium Wedding Rings, without looking, I would think that is the same guy that is doing a ring for Balisong Fans in the same large hole, small hole pattern, in the "Classic" Balisong Pattern of Les deAsis. I would like to get one of those soon.

Absolutely put me down for a pen! Great idea, Don, and a great idea bringing it to life on the forums!

The "Lathe by hand" idea is about shot due to cost. But we are still holding out for a CNC Shop to turn them out. :D

Don,

If it helps with the CNC side of things I can dump a 2d drawing into Solidworks for you. This can save some programming time ($$$)if a shop can take it straight into Gibbs (a CNC programming language).

I can also point you at a husband and wife CNC shop in Northern CA that is really good and very inexpensive as these places go. My email address is in the profile.

Stay safe
Gordon

Originally posted by Don Rearic

Can you believe a damned Kubotan is considered a "prohibited weapon" by the Airlines? It's insane, but it is true. There are so many readily available objects that could readily substitute for one in a pinch. It is still nice to have something purpose-driven...

A Kubotan is a defensive weapon, and it is a keychain as well. There is no way in a rational world that it should be prohibited from being carried on a Commercial Airliner...yet they are.
thinking about that as well. [/B]

Don,

True story time: San Antonio airport, 1996. The securtity people confiscated my Kubotan, but let me get on board with a 50/50 serrated/plain Gerber EZ-Out!! (No cracks about the Gerber guys). When I asked the twentysomething Latina Guard what the deal was, she said that the Kubotan was considered a Martial Arts weapon, but that the Gerber was just a pocketknife. She admitted it was pretty dumb but the rules were the rules. She was polite about the whole thing and the Kubotan only cost me 5 or 6 bucks to replace so I didn't let nyself get hot under the collar about the whole thing.
Go figure!!:rolleyes:

When dealing with Contract Security Guards, especially "Screeners" at Airports, just remember folks, you're dealing with the knucklehead that the Lowest Bidder on the Contract has supplied. :)

I have wondered how the Streamlight Kubotan/LED Light would fare in this situation.

A Mini-Maglite parades as a Kubotan. A Streamlight Kubotan LED Light is still a flashlight, know what I mean?

If you go through the Detector and you have a Mini-Maglite on the keyring in the dish, do they refuse you entry to the aircraft?

I was stopped and my Carry-On Bag thoroughly rummaged through by a complete idiot because I had a Laci Szabo "Snowball" hand exerciser next to a 35mm Camera, two extra rolls of 35mm film and an extra set of 4 AA batteries.

The dumb bitch yanked the bag off the belt and ripped open the zippers.

Now, I never stopped to think about it until that moment when she held the "Snowball" up for her Supervisor to see, but I guess on an X-ray, those things in the same general area could be mistaken for a damned BOMB.

What amazed the hell out of me is, the way she yanked the bag off the belt and ripped open three separate compartments.

If she REALLY thought it was a damned BOMB, is that the way they handle BOMBS?

She had zero respect for my belongings and if she did that to someone who did in fact have a BOMB, the damn thing could have went off.

You would think they would secure the bag off the belt and open it gently.

So, she was either demonstrably STUPID! Or, she did not really think there was a bomb in there after all and was just having her Menses. :rolleyes:

Hey Don - how about a nice wire saw as a garrotte? Eeeesh. Messy. And then (seeing as I just watched the movie) there was Blade, with the garrotte in his belt. 007 worthy, I think. :D

oooooo how exciting.. I have heard of the deliscious stuff on the JSP forums but havent had a chance to visit. I wish I did sooner. This i great stuff and how can I resist such wonderful toys :) these threads really rekindle the OSS curiosity have thanks as always Sir Rearic - you are definitely a gifted madman :D

Thanks for haring the ideas I woudl like to get on all of them if possible.. also I have been trying to slowl y gather info on flashlights I woudl love to see yoru take on the subject as it's always entertainig as well as informative reading.

*curbing the ninja texas ranger urge inside of me*

Wow, it's been a long time since this has been talked about. Any updates? Mr. Rearic? Anybody?

that guy is the one who did the bali ring, i think. or at least, i found this there:
bali.jpg

Bali
This ring was inspired by a line of famous knives with a similar pattern. The holes make the ring so light you barely know it's there. The style works well in wider widths. The ring shown is 10mm wide and is a polished finish. Other finishes could work here, but I recommend the polished, brushed, or satin finishes.

$190

i am REALLLY psyched about this pen. going in and out of court everyday makes even a Mnandi too much to handle, and the spyderco police necklace on my keychain is really reather useless. but this pen, oh this pen! not only a great seeming pen using Fischer cartridges, but designed to give u a nice, 'heavy' hand too. so, i hate to be a jerk, but any updates on it?

Back