Anyone order from Lamnia in Finland?

It is the luck of the draw as far as time to get something delivered, or delivered at all. I got two knives from Bulgaria, one took 5 days the other 8 days. I had a Murray Carter neck knife made for a friend in Finland. Walked with Murray at the Oregon Knife Collector show and picked out some curly birch slabs for the handle, Murray made it and I mailed it to Finland. There the Customs refused to accept it was a gift, which it was. I had to email them saying it was a gift. Nothing more heard. Then when my friend went back to the Customs office, no knife and no one could say where it was. About a week later I get a package in the mail, it is the missing knife, that someone in the Customs sent back to me, but they had no record of doing it. Re-Mailed the knife to Finland, this time my friend got it with no problems. One positive thing was my friend said that the Customs job was a very good one in Finland and not likely someone would risk losing their job over a knife. John

Im planning my next order with them on payday.

Im sure there are many times more happy customers who rec'd their orders without a hitch than those that haven't..otherwise they would not be in business and it would be a very very stressful place to work.

My multiple orders rec'd in good time vs your one lost package and they are already in the lead proving they are a reputable stand up company.

We could start a show of hands. Orders that have gone well vs ones that havent.
Ill start. I have had 3 orders rec;d from them with no problems.

We will minus 1 from my 3 due to the OP's issue.

Others can then go and add the number of successful orders onto our current running total of "2 positives" to see how many positives vs negatives we end up with.

Positives: 3
Negatives: 1

current running total = 2 positive.

When my last knife from Europe went missing, it turned out to have spent 18 days in a pile of shipping containers at JFK, before clearing Customs twice a day apart. USPS also claimed it left that side of the Pond twice - 17 days apart. It was USPS fault all the way - and then they screwed it up worse by sending it from my local PO past me 350 miles to Chicago, where it hung up for a week, supposedly leaving there four times. What was my seller going to do with USPS, which Congress cannot control? It was a custom knife. Eventually showed up. USPS said "sorry."

Risk of loss is on the shipper.

Any suggestions on how long I should wait before asking for a refund? Day 29 and no further info. USPS track says it's in Helsinki being prepared to ship, Finnish Post says its on its way. No change in 29 days. Thanks for any suggestions.

Im sure they will see you right.
If they refund you now, then what happens if the item shows up in a weeks time? Will you contact them telling them to charge you again?
You personally may do, but many people would not.

Lets face it, if they refund someone, and the item shows up 2 or 3 weeks later, on the other side of the world, what are the chances the person is going to tell them about it and go back to them saying "please take my money!"
50%? 90% chance that they will let you know? IMO that's a very generous estimate of the number of the percentage of people who would inform the seller the item arrived after refunds were done. 9 our of 10.
A business still cant work like that.

There is a process to these things. They need to wait to for confirmation that its not just going to show up out of the blue at your place.(and if it does the carriers have confirmed it lost which is the trigger to resupply, so their problem) They need confirmation from the carriers that if they send another, the missing shipment will be reimbursed. They cant send another or refund you till the bases are covered.

As mentioned I deal with this sort of thing all the time. If I was dealing with this issue (from the sellers perspective) there would be no refund processed until the carriers have confirmed it lost, (or found it and confirmed it being redirected back to the seller). Or there would be no resupply until the carrier gave confirmation that they don't know where it is, and so start the claims process.

Sorry im not trying to take the side of the seller or come across as rude. Its just there is a process that needs to be followed to ensure that the correct organisation (the carrier/courier) is the one that ends up out of pocket from the screw up. If the seller jumps the gun and resupplies or refund prior to confirmation you can claim it back from the carriers, then they are the ones that end up out of pocket.

Thanks. I'll give it 2 more weeks and see what happens.

New Zealand? I spent several months working in Chirstchurch many moons ago. Great place.

My order is 21 days old. The dual tracking is useless. The tracking information never changes. Never tells me where my axe is.

Lamnia says that orders to the US should take 4-10 days, but that doesn't count any customs issues. So your order is probably held up in customs -- Finland's or the US -- for some reason. Mine order, too.

I've had good luck with Lamnia in the past, although this order for a Wetterlings (before they are out of business) has been the exception. Lamina probably doesn't have much influence with customs. I think all you can do for now is wait. If it's a big issue for you, you can call them up and see what they can do. The US Post Office usually wants you to wait two weeks for a domestic package that has not shown up. And I've had domestic packages take much longer.

If it were my business, I'd give a refund to the customer, if he asked, with a delivery a month old. But I'm the world's worst businessman.

At one month they better be responding to your emails or I'd ask for a refund. At 6 weeks I would be demanding a refund regardless of the level of communication.

My axe has officially been declared lost. USPS says it never arrived in USA. Finnish Post unable to locate it on their end. Lamnia is making it right. These things happen I guess. Its all good.

Some nefarious phantom within shipping or receiving, somewhere along the way, must have taken a real shine to your axe, enough so to make it disappear! Hopefully he/she will get as much enjoyment from a 'clandestine freebie' as you will when another one ultimately arrives on your doorstep.

My axe has officially been declared lost. USPS says it never arrived in USA. Finnish Post unable to locate it on their end. Lamnia is making it right. These things happen I guess. Its all good.

How much total time passed till it was declared lost ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My order for a Wetterlings is now more than a month old, with no tracking information. Lamina has not responded.

About 38 days give or take a few. Got an email and a letter from USPS. Email said the item never made it to the USA. Letter wanted to know if I wished to open an investigation. It never left Finland according to USPS. Finnish post is investigating on their end according to Lamnia.
New item coming as we speak.

Thank you. Like others here, I have pending orders with them. (Paid for, but not yet delivered.) My orders are less than a couple of weeks old though. Please let us know if your replacement item(s) arrive. A promise to send it means nothing till it's in your hands.
Hopefully, those reporting a problem with their current orders are an exception, and for the couple of guys who are experiencing this there are 50 others who are completely satisfied. It would be a real shame if Lamnia is no longer a vendor that can be relied upon. I had good experiences with them in the past.

Lamina sent me a knew one via UPS. FWIW, the tracking shows it went from Finland via Sweden, Germany, and FOUR cities in the USA before it arrived at my door (scheduled Monday morning). I assume the USPS sends packages a similar way. They can be "lost" in any one of these locations. Lamnia made it right. They answered ALL my emails.

Thank you, that's reassuring. My last order with them was to go by UPS. Perhaps that will make all the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I made a purchase from lamnia a couple of weeks ago, an axe. I live in Sweden so it's not very far from Finland. When I made my order I was told it would take 1-2 days to get my order.
I traced the parcel and it went from Finland to sweden to Denmark to Germany and then back to sweden again. I had specified that I wanted the parcel to go to my local pick up place.
After seven days I got a text asking me where I wanted to pick up my parcel and the closest place was 75 kilometers away. About 30 minutes later a woman called me to ask if I would be home the next day so they could deliver my parcel. Baffled, I said yes and she said the driver would call me before he showed up. I waited at home all the next day and no one came. I called the same number that had called me the day before and they had no idea what I was talking about. Instead they directed me to yet another delivery firm that said that they would indeed deliver my parcel when they got it sometime later that week. Three days later it finally arrived.
None of this is really lamnias fault but I won't ever order from them again, I would rather pay more and get what I want, when and how I want it.

Since this past November I've placed three separate orders with Lamnia.

The first order was over the Thanksgiving weekend (Black Friday Sale) for three knives... That order was shipped via EMS/USPS. Lamnia packed out the order and shipped it promptly... It took about ~5/6 days for the Finnish EMS to deliver the package at customs in the JFK airport area in NYC. So the package arrived stateside in early December but it then encountered a big delay because Customs was apparently slammed with excessive Holiday packages and they didn't end up releasing it to the USPS for several weeks until just after Christmas. USPS took another ~2/3 days to get it delivered to my house. Total actual transit/shipping time was probably around ~7/9 days not counting the additional three weeks being held up in customs. No fault due to either Lamnia, the Finnish EMS, or the USPS.

The second order was placed just after Christmas (for two knives and an axe) and was shipped via UPS International 2-day service. It was packed out and shipped quickly and it arrived on time. ~2-Days... :thumbup:

The third order was placed in mid-March (for a small axe and a hatchet) and it was also shipped via UPS International 2-day service. It too was also packed out quickly and it arrived on time. ~2-Days... :thumbup:

If your total order ($$) meets or is greater then a certain designated Lamnia shipping threshold... Lamnia will give you free shipping. From poking around with the Lamnia shopping cart I think there is a weight limit for UPS International 2-Day. So something quite heavy weight wise was looking like it would ship EMS/USPS while a lower weight item(s) would/were qualifying for UPS International 2-Day.

I've been quite pleased with Lamnia's service and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

I placed a fourth order with Lamnia just last Sunday evening. They packed it out and shipped it on Monday via UPS 2/3 day international service. It took multiple hops via airplane before making it to the Lexington KY hub by late Tuesday. UPS then put it on a truck shipped over night down to Atlanta GA in time to make the local out-going UPS truck route for my area on Wednesday and the package was dropped off and delivered at my front door by mid-afternoon.

My Wetterling axes came today, after about 39 days in the mail. The axes -- a Hudson Bay and a small wilderness -- are beautiful. The box they came in looks like it survived a MOAB.

My order shipped using UPS, arrived in just a few days with no problems. My earlier order shipped via Finnish Postal & US Postal Service is supposed to be here later this week. That'll mean taking about a month to arrive. 'Tracking' info from either postal service has been essentially non-existent. (And as I write this the USPS website says their 'tracking' system will be down while they try to make some kind of software repair.) I have my fingers crossed as to what kinda shape my package will be in when it arrives.
All future orders will be shipped using UPS. It never took so long to get postal packages from Lamnia in the past. It looks like they're not the ones at fault.

Last edited:
Back