are 3 shots of Rum everyday too much to drink?

Because of my hours I get home from work a few hours before the wife and teenager arrive. I have to admit it's real nice to have this time to myself.

When I get home, I crack open a diet Pepsi, add approx a shot and a half of rum to a full can of Pepsi,....(usually I end up having two of these :eek: ). I put on some music, look at knives, bladeforums, probably my favorite part of my day.

Is this too much on a daily basis? :confused: It's not for stress, but really just for recreation, as it's a relaxing part of my day.

Gary007 said:
Because of my hours I get home from work a few hours before the wife and teenager arrive. I have to admit it's real nice to have this time to myself.

When I get home, I crack open a diet Pepsi, add approx a shot and a half of rum to a full can of Pepsi,....(usually I end up having two of these :eek: ). I put on some music, look at knives, bladeforums, probably my favorite part of my day.

Is this too much on a daily basis? :confused: It's not for stress, but really just for recreation, as it's a relaxing part of my day.

Two drinks a day is considered healthy for men. If you see yourself adding to that amount, then it might become a problem. If you can stick to what you are doing without drinking more, I think you should be okay.

I can't even have one drink a day or I will want more. :( Gotta be careful.

~ashes

That sounds like what I used to do, at least in hot weather. I'd get home, and fix a tall drink, mostly fruit juice, and seltzer, and a couple of shots of rum. If it tasted good, I'd fix another one. Went through a lot of Bacardi that way.

No harm, brother. It was probably better for me than all the coffee I used to drink.

I guess it all depends on how many times a day you have three shots of rum. I'd say that a single go around would be minimum maintenance.

Easy. Try a week without any booze and have a nice non-alcoholic drink instead. If that doesn't bother you, you don't have to worry IMO.

Quiet Storm said:
Easy. Try a week without any booze and have a nice non-alcoholic drink instead. If that doesn't bother you, you don't have to worry IMO.

An even better idea. :)

~ashes

Winston Churchall went through a bottle of scotch every 24 hours. He stayed up till late at night writing memos and other paperwork for his secretary to get in the morning.

As long as you're functional I would not worry about the amount of drinks a day. Old Winston did'nt and he was very functional.

There was a saying in the old British Army in India in the colonial days-" Never touch liquier before sundown, but never go to bed quite sober".

Many of those tough old Brit soldiers outlived many doctors.

Hail Britannia!

jackknife said:
Winston Churchall went through a bottle of scotch every 24 hours...
As long as you're functional I would not worry about the amount of drinks a day. Old Winston didn't and he was very functional.
Functional, sure, but I wouldn't want to end up looking like good ol' Winston.:D.:D.

Quiet Storm said:

Exactly. There's your test.

I don't think the healthy "2 drink a day" thing applies to the hard stuff,and actually I think it's only 1 glass of wine a couple of times a week that is healthy. I may be wrong.

Maybe you should ask your doctor. Do you have any medical conditions that drinking could effect, even remotely?

I have type 1 Diabetes and I am on an insulin pump. If I were to have a drink or 4 and forget to eat a meal or adjust my insulin dosage and then have a low blood sugar reaction, it wouldn't be good.

How does your wife feel about the 3 drinks after work? Does your child notice? Do you act or smell like you've been drinking?

If none of the above is a concern, I say have at it. I wish I could. :)

Two nice rum drinks a day won't hurt you, but, ... at least in my case. Two nice strong drinks might just lead to one or two more. :D Be careful. Alcohol consumption is a slippery slope. Ya don't wanna land the proverbial monkey on your back that you can't shake.

Somebody suggested this above, and I think it's a good idea. Try going three to seven days without and let us know how it goes. I'm thinking that by day two or three, you'll be looking for more than three shots of rum ..., but maybe not.

Razz

All depends on the Rum :D Get some of that nice Aussie Bundaberg and 3 will be nowhere near enough ;)

Seriosly, if you are of any decent size and are well hydrated and dont eat crappy food a few shots of Rum wont hurt you in the slightest.

Rum has got to be the best drink by far to sip in front of a camp fire after a long day in the woods. The alcohol and the molasses taste just meet all the cravings in one go.

I had a pal bring me some over proof Bundaberg rum and as much as I appreciated it, its just too strong to sip and enjoy (57%) the regular stuff is a *beauty though. My wife and I bought a van in 01 and toured Australia, I stopped off and did the Bundaberg distillery tour, when I die I want to be buried there lol :)

Gary007 said:
Is this too much on a daily basis? :confused:

IMO, yes it is too much. The very fact that you're here asking this question, is proof that deep inside yourself, you already know this.

good point with rum is that it won't attack your liver (at the contrary of whisky/vodka or whatever strong alcool)
the bad point is that instead it would attack your eyes /brains... :D

3 shots of rum on friday night or saturday night sound Ok for me...
everynight i'll say it start to be to much...
How many days do you do with one single rum bottle of 1 liter?

Ask yourself these questions honestly:

Is your drinking negatively effecting, your work, your relationship with wife and daughter, or with friends? How about your health?

Also, as Quiet Storm said, can you live for a while without it?

If the answer is no it's not effecting you negatively, and you can live without it, then you're IMO OK. But it's only something you would know, you can't expect any of us to really give you an accurate answer.

I am sooooooo in the mood for a rum and coke right about now.:)

glockman99 said:
Functional, sure, but I wouldn't want to end up looking like good ol' Winston.:D.:D.

What did old Winston in was his love of steak and kidney pie and a English treat called blood sausage. Yummy! :barf:

Concerning just quantity, it's a bit much.

But honestly, you should not drink daily at all. Drinking increases blood pressure (it affects the sympathetic nervous system), more so in quantity. If you drink every day, your blood pressure does not have time to even out.

And drinking is not a habit one wants to form.

Back