Arkansas Custom Knife Show 2013 - Show Us what you Got

Back from The Little Rock show and my comments echo all those before me. This was my fifth AKA show and I thought it was the best by far of those I have attended. Every maker brought their "A" game and then some. The photo below kind of exhibits my feelings about the show. I really had a good time.

Paul

Photo credit: My pal Buddy Thomason. Thanks again, Buddy.

Last edited:
This Arkansas show was so incredibly first rate that it just can't go without mention that David Etchieson and Chuck Ward do so many things behind the scenes and have done this for many years to make this the show it is. They are true work horses and the backbone of this successful show. Thank you David and Chuck!

I still have an undeserving and awkward feeling of winning those awards so I want to express a huge thank you to all of my peers who voted for my knives.

It was great to see new talent at out show this year. Enjoyed visiting with a lot of guys from out west who came. Too risky mentioning all the names cause I know I'd forget to mention one. Hope to see them all back next year.

Had a really great show, lots of fun, good sales, and orders. It was great to be with old friends and make new ones...had a great time with David Lisch and Mike Quesenberry as neighbors at the show. A really big thumbs up to David for that Bowie Award...not bad for a newcomer to Arkansas. The cutting competition was great! Really looking forward to that next year. It was a real honor to receive the Camp Knife Award...hope to get some pro pics up soon. It was loads of fun having Jerry Fisk MC-ing everything...that feller's a natural! Looking to see y'all again next year or at Atlanta...I'm divin' into the Journeyman Five!
Young Ben

There's a good reason why the AKA Show has been my favorite show for many years. David, Chuck and all concerned should be proud of the job that they do putting all of this together. I can't think of a better group of people to spend a weekend with each year as well. The Arkansas association is amounst the most friendly & helpful group that you could ask for.

I would echo that this was the best yet and the show continues to improve each year. I'm already looking forward to next year's event and seeing all of you again.

Gary

Here is my crazy idea for the week/month/year.

Increase the admission and table fees by a small amount and pay and plead on bended knee for Murray White to fly down from the Frozen Tundra to the warmth of Arkansas in February to do for the AKA Show what he does for the Blade Show. I am thinking that it is even possible that the extra excitement and interest that would be generated from a picture review by Murray might even increase collector attendance (and sales) for future shows to pay for itself.

OK, maybe I am just selfishly wishing that he had done something like that for this past show so I could vicariously enjoy what I missed. :eek:

Still . . .

Photos please! I could not make it but am anxiously awaiting photos from the show...from anyone.
Thanks.

Russ

Wow! Sounds like it was a Great Show. I ended up missing my first AKA show in years.

My daughter's due date was March 3rd, but she went to the hospital the other night (false alarm), but they say to expect the baby anytime, so canceled my trip. First time granddad could not take the chance not being here.

Thanks for the updates from the show over the weekend and congratulations to ALL Award Winners.
Actually, everyone who attends this show is a winner.

Here is my crazy idea for the week/month/year.

Increase the admission and table fees by a small amount and pay and plead on bended knee for Murray White to fly down from the Frozen Tundra to the warmth of Arkansas in February to do for the AKA Show what he does for the Blade Show. I am thinking that it is even possible that the extra excitement and interest that would be generated from a picture review by Murray might even increase collector attendance (and sales) for future shows to pay for itself.

OK, maybe I am just selfishly wishing that he had done something like that for this past show so I could vicariously enjoy what I missed. :eek:

Still . . .

Virginian -- now you do have some of the greatest ideas. This is one I could truly endorse -- you know, Have Camera, Will Travel!! You have no idea how tempted I was to come but driving in winter is not so much fun but I sure would have loved to have seen in person all the great knives including one -- Ron Newton's Dragon Hunter -- which is as fine a knife as I have seen in almost 33 years of collecting.

Just think in just a bit more than 3 months we will be down for Blade in Atlanta and a great time at the CKCA dinner and the 3 day show. Looking forward to seeing lots of my friends and lots of great knives and will be happy to have more photos to present to this forum and CKCA.

Congrats to all the award winners and to all for creating a successful show. I'm sure every maker and attendee had a great time. I know I'm enjoying reading about the show.

Congratulations to all the award winners....and special congratulations to Ron Newton....based upon the photos, I am sure that the awards were well deserved.

That is a superb photo of Paul Long and I am stealing it for my album.:thumbup:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Like Everyone else who has posted I had a great time at the show and plan on going again next year. Thanks to all of you who stopped by and said hello and shared som time.

I attended my first AKA show and am kickin myself for not showing! Had a blast though. Got to hang out with good friends, eat great cajun, and see top shelf knives. My friend John came away with 5 great pieces . Hope to show next year.
GOD BLESS

First time I've ever attended the Arkansas Show....and I was VERY impressed!

My impression of the show previously had been of a smaller "regional" show - wrong!!

Not only were many very well known makers there, but they really brought their " A game" :thumbup:

At the Friday night dinner, the tables for the various awards were FULL of excellent contenders - The "Bowie" table and the "fighter" table were so packed with great knives that I had a hard time picking my top 10, much less a winner !

Cutting competition Friday was great, with Jerry Fisk providing extremely amusing commentary.

Show was pretty full on Saturday - I had to fly home Sun at 7am, so I missed that day sadly.

Overall - great show, full of great knives and great people. I will definitely return :D

oh, and on another note - met Ron Newton for the first time - super nice guy, and his knives were just Outstanding in every way

Bill Flynn

pig_sticker,

Thanks!!!

Do you know who made that long and sleek Persian fighter in the next to last picture, in the middle of the picture right next to the "Pearl" card? I don't remember seeing that one posted here and I woiuld really like to see a higher resolution picture of just that knife.

I can pretty much echo what everyone has said about the show. I know I had a great time, I even tried froglegs for the first time.
There was a boatload of talent in the room and like Bill said, the judging was extremely difficult since there were so many great knives.
I have my deposit in for next year! :thumbup:

pig_sticker,

Thanks!!!

Do you know who made that long and sleek Persian fighter in the next to last picture, in the middle of the picture right next to the "Pearl" card? I don't remember seeing that one posted here and I woiuld really like to see a higher resolution picture of just that knife.

Logan Pearce made it, he did a wonderful job. I have a few pictures from the show, I will post them later tonight. Yes, it was AWESOME! :D

Calvin,
I was great to meet and visit with you also.
It's going to take me some time to figure out all the ins and outs with facebook but I think it's worth the time.

Back