Attachment issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
So it turns out that the attachment system was misconfigured (most likely by me) and y'all were allowed unlimited attachments (as many of you have noticed with thousands of them). I reconfigured it today and now a lot of you are running into the fact that you've uploaded hundreds of megabytes of images.

We've burned through 85gb of additional storage in 8 months, and have almost a half terabyte in image attachments alone. When the search goes down, often it's because we've run out of disk space due to the attachments eating up the drives. That's not sustainable.

For now I've throttled things as I investigate solutions. You can still host images remotely & share by using Imgur or similar sites.

So it turns out that the attachment system was misconfigured (most likely by me) and y'all were allowed unlimited attachments (as many of you have noticed with thousands of them). I reconfigured it today and now a lot of you are running into the fact that you've uploaded hundreds of megabytes of images.

We've burned through 85gb of additional storage in 8 months, and have almost a half terabyte in image attachments alone. When the search goes down, often it's because we've run out of disk space due to the attachments eating up the drives. That's not sustainable.

For now I've throttled things as I investigate solutions. You can still host images remotely & share by using Imgur or similar sites.
Well, as Pere Ubu said “I Don’t need a plan I need a final solution”. Thanks for your effort’s Spark!

I would gladly contribute more $$ with my Platinum membership or higher to help allow upgrading the storage for the forums.

Is it possible to have attachments uploaded to posts auto-delete after some period of time, but ones in photo albums are persistent?

Is it possible to have attachments uploaded to posts auto-delete after some period of time, but ones in photo albums are persistent?
That would still make old posts that could be helpful all messed up with missing pics. I'd like all old pics to stay up.

I have an Imgur acct, Imageshack and Flickr (non-paid photobucket); so for now I will use them to host my pics. But, it definitely add a LOT more steps to post my pics now. That's why I'd rather pay Spark more money to host them if possible.

I'll go along with whatever he decides.

I don't know where you are hosting your pics - locally or on a server farm. I do have a new in box unused 4TB Buffalo NAS I'd consider donating. But it's probably just a drop in the bucket, so to speak, and no help if everything is on a server farm (and likely too slow for the forum), so...

Spark Spark
Is there any way to select two or more attachments to delete at a time?
I have 2,200 more to delete.
currently its:
1) from page 1 go to the last page, go to the last page that has attachments I can delete (1.5 pages so far of files that do not have a "delete" option. Some are pictures I downloaded to my tablet before posting, a few are photos taken with my tablet. All were posted the same way as the photos I can delete.
WHY are some files not deletable? Do they "count" to my total?)

2) click the first photo on that page
("what are you totin" "rough rider & related" threads from some time in 2020 to ... I think I've gotten to early/mid 2021. The missing photos in the Rough Rider & Related may affect usability if someone is trying to get info on their knife long after it has been discontinued.
Who cares now what knife I (or anyone else) had in the pocket weeks/months/years ago?
Photos in the what are you carrying, what's your newest, and closed Exchange posts could probably be set to auto delete after 7 days. (exchange when the thread is closed, presumably because the item(s) sold.)

3) verify i want to delete

4) system takes you back to first page

5) click to last page.
(page choices: 1; 2; 3 ... xxx)
on last page choices are: ... -1 ; -2; -3 click the page needed
select file

6) repeat

I notice that several of my attachments have the same attachment number. (cross-posted to different threads the same day, or re-used later)
When I delete the first of say 3 or 4 times the photo was used that day, since the same photo id in every thread I used it in, is the photo still visible in all the applicable threads until the last one is deleted?

Would it be possible to re-use a photo without it "counting" as a "new" photo each time, since the photo ID does not change?

That, and auto delete in the "what are you carrying", "what's your newest?" after 7 days, and auto delete in the exchange after the item issold and the thread closed, would make a big difference in server space used.

That would still make old posts that could be helpful all messed up with missing pics. I'd like all old pics to stay up.
Same here, site is a bad enough mess as it is :( I was looking for an old thread, which contained some important info, the other night - thread was deleted, and the pics had been stripped from every other old thread I looked at 😖

afishhunter afishhunter I could not find a way to select multiple for deletion.

The ones that do not have an option to delete are in threads that have been locked or removed.

Yes - when you delete an image from one thread, it remains visible in all the other threads in which you have posted it. (Unless/until you delete it from those, as well)

And, yes, those count toward your total.

That could work if there was a ranking system. Important pictures get enough special likes from paid members and they can stay

afishhunter afishhunter I could not find a way to select multiple for deletion.

The ones that do not have an option to delete are in threads that have been locked or removed.

Yes - when you delete an image from one thread, it remains visible in all the other threads in which you have posted it. (Unless/until you delete it from those, as well)

And, yes, those count toward your total.
guess i need to go to those threads and edit out the photos by trash-canning them then.
Whine and Cheese posts in 2020. I doubt any will care if they are gone in 2024 and later.

Bummer.
Thread is locked. No edit option. 🤨☹️

Last edited:
It's not that simple sadly.

It's a server thing, they could mitigate all new hosting to somewhere else or even multiple servers but that would mean changing the website drastically and altering a ton of stuff just to mitigate it elsewhere.

The main issue is the current influx of photos that are hosted by the website itself as it's not sustainable.

You have 576 images and have exceeded your quota

Is this total for all time or per year of membership ?

It's not that simple sadly.

It's a server thing, they could mitigate all new hosting to somewhere else or even multiple servers but that would mean changing the website drastically and altering a ton of stuff just to mitigate it elsewhere.

The main issue is the current influx of photos that are hosted by the website itself as it's not sustainable.

Moving forward this could alleviate that issue as they wouldn't be hosted on this websites server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back