Aus10a

Status
Not open for further replies.
CS guys, fire your marketing dept ars$%^le. Otherways we will see upgrade to 420HC by the end of the year.

And stop taking your clients as a morons. Switch from CTS-XHP to S35VN, BD1 to AUS10 IS a DOWNGRADE! Period!

Reactions: Mo2
BTW Spyderco usually switch steels to higher level. Benchmade makes the same. The prices are getting higher. But the knives are becoming better also (well, mostly).
That move from CS...well, I don't understand that.

BTW Spyderco usually switch steels to higher level. Benchmade makes the same. The prices are getting higher. But the knives are becoming better also (well, mostly).
That move from CS...well, I don't understand that.

squeezing more profit. pretty much that simple. bad for us good for lynn....:)

CS guys, fire your marketing dept ars$%^le. Otherways we will see upgrade to 420HC by the end of the year.

And stop taking your clients as a morons. Switch from CTS-XHP to S35VN, BD1 to AUS10 IS a DOWNGRADE! Period!
AUS-10 is a higher grade steel than BD1, BD1 is very similar in performance to AUS-8 (with many reports showing it having lower edge retention). AUS-10 is of course two whole AUSes better.

Now XHP is similar, it's a slightly higher grade steel in terms of edge retention compared to S35VN, but a little less tough. The mid range knives got a small downgrade, but the low end (now mid-low with the introduction of super budget knives in 4116 and 8Cr) will get a minor upgrade.

BD1 is very similar in performance to AUS-8 (with many reports showing it having lower edge retention).

This one is definitely false. They are NOT equal. Try Cedric yt channel. he tested BD1 and got different results. Similar to what people feel using it. Its way better than AUS8.

Now XHP is similar, it's a slightly higher grade steel in terms of edge retention compared to S35VN, but a little less tough.

I won't agree with this statement either, sir. Maybe on paper they are equal, but not in real life usage.

This one is definitely false. They are NOT equal. Try Cedric yt channel. he tested BD1 and got different results. Similar to what people feel using it. Its way better than AUS8.

I won't agree with this statement either, sir. Maybe on paper they are equal, but not in real life usage.
I would trust Ankerson's testing results a little more. He has a bit more scientific method to his testing. My super unscientific testing on cutting random crap, mainly cardboard, has mirrored his results pretty decently.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ed-on-edge-retention-cutting-5-8-rope.793481/

Well BD-1 holds working edge much longer and much more corrosion resistant than AUS8. This is my everyday observation. BD1 is more like 154CM.

I would trust Ankerson's testing results a little more. He has a bit more scientific method to his testing. My super unscientific testing on cutting random crap, mainly cardboard, has mirrored his results pretty decently.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ed-on-edge-retention-cutting-5-8-rope.793481/
They are just another data point. I use them both. One is done one way the other another. You probably should not take sides. Use them both as data points. I also use cliff stamps data too. And there are more Russian guys on YouTube that also have some charts and different ways of doing cut tests. Ankerson only does sic to 400 grit on edge pro. Cedric does work sharp edge and lansky edges. It's just more data.

I did enough searches to be fine with this steel for my needs/uses. Whether it rings someone else's bell, or not, is for them to decide.

They are just another data point. I use them both. One is done one way the other another. You probably should not take sides. Use them both as data points. I also use cliff stamps data too. And there are more Russian guys on YouTube that also have some charts and different ways of doing cut tests. Ankerson only does sic to 400 grit on edge pro. Cedric does work sharp edge and lansky edges. It's just more data.
He says in the category grouping that for those he sharpens up to 3k, for the bottom testing with exact numbers of cuts he does 400 SiC

i prefer aus10 to aus8...not a huge difference but least we are getting aus10 over 8. prefer both to 8cr13mov. also not a deal killer with that steel but prefer the japanese steels to it.

This steel never showed up in production blades in enough amounts to get a reputation of any kind. But from what I read, its basically AUS8 with more carbon, which should push it's edge holding to 154CM/VG10 levels. Everything I've read tells me that it belongs in that unofficial class of steels, with N690, ATS-34/154CM. VG10, ect.

This is an upgrade to me, although I assume that it'll have AUS8's corrosion resistance, which is a step back from BD1's.

I really like AUS8's ability to come off of a medium stone way sharper than it should be. The stuff just wants to be sharp. I'm hoping AUS10 keeps that character.

We'll see, but I expect good things. Cold Steel got more out of AUS8 than anyone else & does a great heat treat in general. The only real complaint from knowledgeable users was that it lost it's edge a bit early compared to the higher end steels (VG10 or 154CM seeming to be a benchmark for this). If this stuff is really basically AUS8 with noticeably better edge holding I think most people will be happy.

Last edited:
Where is the announcement for the switch from BD1 to AUS-10? I've looked and can't find it.

Edit: checked out the website to see if they had a news section, and the product listing showed some models in AUS-10 like the Voyagers. The price is the same, which is awesome.

Last edited:
now steel composition wise I do not pay much attention. through cutting tests on limbs, branches , wood, produce, and maintenance tasks, xhp outperforms s35vn by far. no micro chipping. I'm wondering if political moves in regards to world trade may have something to do with CS's recent steel changes? With that being said, I'm holding on to and stocking up on US steel knives by CS.

now steel composition wise I do not pay much attention. through cutting tests on limbs, branches , wood, produce, and maintenance tasks, xhp outperforms s35vn by far. no micro chipping. I'm wondering if political moves in regards to world trade may have something to do with CS's recent steel changes? With that being said, I'm holding on to and stocking up on US steel knives by CS.
Carpenter and Crucible are both US steel manufacturers. They switched from XHP because availability wasn't terribly good on it, but everybody and their grandma has access to nearly limitless supplies of S30V and S35VN, and S35VN is cheaper to machine.

I'm upset about the change from XHP to S35VN because it's a small step down, a bit like the difference between N690 and 440C, not a massive difference and most people won't notice, but it is a downgrade. The change from BD1 to AUS-10 is great, though, because it's a decent upgrade, like 12c27 to 14c28n, it's going up to the next class of steels amd entering the top level of non PM stainless steels.

:)
AUS-6 AUS-8 AUS-10
(aka 6A 8A 10A)
stainless steels comparable for carbon quantity to the 440: 440A family (AUS-6, .65% carbon); 440B (AUS-8, 0.75% carbon); 440C (AUS-10, 1.1% carbon). All 3 steels have an added amount of vanadium (which the 440 does not have), to improve wear resistance and refine the grains to improve cutting capacity.

:) NCo690
is a martensitic stainless steel with chromium 17 and compared to AISI 440 C steel is distinguished by a higher molybdenum content (double). Molybdenum in addition to being a strong carbide former (improved cutting characteristics), increases the corrosion resistance in high chromium steels. In addition, the additions of vanadium alloy (also a carbide forming agent with consequent increase in wear resistance and therefore maintenance of the cutting edge) and cobalt (hinders the grain enlargement at higher temperatures and significantly improves the tempering capacity and the resistance to high temperature. The characteristics of high corrosion resistance, wear, cutting edge strength and good polishing combine high hardness values above 60 HRC (greater hardness than traditional AISI 440 C steel)

Last edited:
Is there a verdict on this now? Aus10a has been out for a while now, any side by side testing?

it is difficult to know, if in the future COLD-STEEL will continue to produce large blades like the MARAUDER, etc .. in AUS8-A it will mean that it has more advantages than the AUS10-A in relation to price, and practicality of use

This isn't a downgrade.

AUS-10 has a bit more carbon and has some properties that may make it tougher.

It compares well to ATS-34, which is a fantastic steel.

I doubt anyone could tell the difference between AUS-10 and BD1.

Steel.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back