Aus10a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with the recent announcement from Cold Steel that they will switching from CTS-xhp to s35vn they also stated they will be switching from bd1 to Japanese aus10a. I’m a little bummed about this because I really dig the bd1. In my experience it is superior to aus8a in edge retention and corrosion resistance, it seems a little tougher too judging from the somewhat hard use I have put my xl voyagers through. It’s been s makeshift machete on some occasions with no rolling or chipping.

So can anyone here tell me about Japanese aus10a? I have never seen any knives with this steel.
I have both a Cold Steel XL Voyager, and a 4-Max Scout, both in AUS-10A, Both knives are excellent. Cold Steel's version of AUS-10, AUS-10A, is superb. It retains and edge extremely well, and it's shockingly tough. I did get a small rust spot on my Voyager XL Clip Point. I carry it daily, and my sweat must have gotten onto it. People who live near the ocean, claim AUS-8A rusts badly. AUS-10A has less chromium than AUS-8A. It has enough chromium to be considered a stainless steel, but it will rust more quickly than AUS-8A, and other stainless steels. My biggest beef, is that Cold Steel won't make a nice fixed blade knife in AUS-10A. I would buy one immediately if they did. They make a couple fixed blades in AUS-8A. I've found AUS-10 fixed blades from companies like Eafengrow and Kubey. I don't trust Chinese knives claiming to be AUS-10.

it is difficult to know, if in the future COLD-STEEL will continue to produce large blades like the MARAUDER, etc .. in AUS8-A it will mean that it has more advantages than the AUS10-A in relation to price, and practicality of use
I wish Cold Steel would make outdoor fixed blades in AUS-10A. I'd buy one immediately. They only one they make currently, is the Pendleton Mini Hunter. I need a blade at least 6" long. The Master Tanto used to have an AUS-10A option. Now, there's only San Mai III, and CPM-3V. I want a good stainless steel survival knife to put in the back of my tailgate. Currently, I have the Steel Will Argonaut 800 in AUS-8 back there. It's a good knife, but AUS-10A would be better.

Carpenter and Crucible are both US steel manufacturers. They switched from XHP because availability wasn't terribly good on it, but everybody and their grandma has access to nearly limitless supplies of S30V and S35VN, and S35VN is cheaper to machine.

I'm upset about the change from XHP to S35VN because it's a small step down, a bit like the difference between N690 and 440C, not a massive difference and most people won't notice, but it is a downgrade. The change from BD1 to AUS-10 is great, though, because it's a decent upgrade, like 12c27 to 14c28n, it's going up to the next class of steels amd entering the top level of non PM stainless steels.
I agree 100%.

CS guys, fire your marketing dept ars$%^le. Otherways we will see upgrade to 420HC by the end of the year.

And stop taking your clients as a morons. Switch from CTS-XHP to S35VN, BD1 to AUS10 IS a DOWNGRADE! Period!
Cold Steel's AUS-10A is an awesome stainless steel. I wish they would make more fixed blades with it. Instead, they came out with those idiotic Razer Tek knives, in 1.4116 stainless steel. AUS-10A is vastly superior to 1.4116.

it is difficult to know, if in the future COLD-STEEL will continue to produce large blades like the MARAUDER, etc .. in AUS8-A it will mean that it has more advantages than the AUS10-A in relation to price, and practicality of use
I'd love to see Cold Steel switch their AUS-8A fixed blades to AUS-10A.

Yeah I always heard that the AUS family was similar to the 440 family...6A, 8A, 10A similar to 440A, B, and C respectively. I actually have a CS Tanto made in 10A...was a very small batch of only 40 knives...mine is #24.
I wish they still made those. The only CS fixed blade you can get in AUS-10A, these days, us the Pendleton Mini Hunter.

I wish Cold Steel would make outdoor fixed blades in AUS-10A. I'd buy one immediately. They only one they make currently, is the Pendleton Mini Hunter. I need a blade at least 6" long. The Master Tanto used to have an AUS-10A option. Now, there's only San Mai III, and CPM-3V. I want a good stainless steel survival knife to put in the back of my tailgate. Currently, I have the Steel Will Argonaut 800 in AUS-8 back there. It's a good knife, but AUS-10A would be better.
There were only 40 Tantos made in AUS10, back in 2001...I have #24. Check post #7.

Also, do you look at the dates of the threads you respond to? Many are years and years old...necroposting is frowned upon.

ya know 5 plus years later.....it's funny how your mind changes. I've come back to liking aus8 and 8cr13mov when both heat treated well. still like aus10 too, but I wouldn't shy away from an aus8 cold steel nowadays cause of the steel itself........

Cold Steel's AUS-10A is an awesome stainless steel. I wish they would make more fixed blades with it. Instead, they came out with those idiotic Razer Tek knives, in 1.4116 stainless steel. AUS-10A is vastly superior to 1.4116.
Razer Tek….yeah, that was a sorry excuse for a CS knife, LOL! Never heard anything about them again. Those knives belonged on one of those late night commercials where some clown is trying to sell you 50 knives for $50.

Razer Tek….yeah, that was a sorry excuse for a CS knife, LOL! Never heard anything about them again. Those knives belonged on one of those late night commercials where some clown is trying to sell you 50 knives for $50.
They're trash. The funny part is Cold Steel (probably GSM Outdoors), tried to fool everyone. They priced it like a super steel stainless knife! People who are into knives, aren't that stupid. They've since had to drop the prices by 50%! 😂

There were only 40 Tantos made in AUS10, back in 2001...I have #24. Check post #7.

Also, do you look at the dates of the threads you respond to? Many are years and years old...necroposting is frowned upon.
I really don't care how old the thread is. It's still relevant. Several people responded to my replies, and they did it nicely. I think making degrading comments on Blade Forums is frowned upon much worse.

I really don't care how old the thread is. It's still relevant. Several people responded to my replies, and they did it nicely. I think making degrading comments on Blade Forums is frowned upon much worse.
Sorry, but pointing out a forum rule is not degrading. May want to familiarize yourself with them...

Screenshot_20240126-134815_kindlephoto-292282221.png

Can’t we all just get along?!? LOL! Seriously, I didn’t know about “necroposting” either…I learned a new term today. I’m just glad this forum still exists. I think it’s just a misunderstanding Jlauffer…your post may have sounded a bit harsh (which it wasn’t meant to be of course).
On that note, it would be awesome for CS to bring back some discontinued models in AUS10. Hope they’re listening.

Can’t we all just get along?!? LOL! Seriously, I didn’t know about “necroposting” either…I learned a new term today. I’m just glad this forum still exists. I think it’s just a misunderstanding Jlauffer…your post may have sounded a bit harsh (which it wasn’t meant to be of course).
On that note, it would be awesome for CS to bring back some discontinued models in AUS10. Hope they’re listening.
I'd be happy nowadays with some discontinued models, brought back into production, even in aus8.......

This one was only 5 years old lol...he's revived much older across the forum. I only brought it up here because I was already responding to one of his posts and didn't know if he realized what he was doing. I get it...you search for something and don't look at the date before responding...it happens. But doing it on purpose? He may not care, but the mods will get sick of having to follow him around locking old threads he revives, and being on the mod's radar usually doesn't end well. Heed the advice or not...I tried 🤷‍♂️.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back