How To Axe identity

...It's pre 1956 since then it was a locksmith. And in the until the 1930 they where making train pasrt, so its between 1930-1956!

This source says it was the Zeilinger scytheworks which became a locksmith in 1956, and the Sussmann "hackenwerk" (hoe factory?) stopped in 1986:

Das letzte Sensenwerk der Firma Karl Zeilinger hat 1956 die Sensenerzeugung eingestellt und ist auf das Schlosserhandwerk umgestiegen. Das letzte Hackenwerk der Firma Sussmann hat den Betrieb 1986 eingestellt.
http://www.zeilingerstiftung.at/de/stiftung/hintergrund

Can you give your source for the 1930 and 1956 dates regarding Sussmann?

I feel like I owe a couple of members a commission for their time :)

Thank you Kevin!

So, you think the eye could potentially be from a different tool?

It might be my pictures but it would have to be friction fit - if by that we are talking about a narrowing or reduction in the eye size from where the handle enters compared to were it would end at the top/end of the eye.

Where the handle enters is 3.25"x 1" to 1.75" x 7/16" at the end but not conical - it stays the same rectangular D-shape throughout but tapers dimensionally. (Opposite wedge fit to my understanding at least)

The bevel and the handle offset face the user making like the other hewing axes I have here. - like I said, maybe the pictures make it look the opposite since I didn't get a good shot of the eye with a discernible piece of the blade for reference.

The d-shaped eye is found on similar stuff but I see what you are saying about it maybe being modified - (example from auction site).
deye.jpg

Might it allow it take a standard available handle that way maybe?

I do appreciate everyone's time and take on the thing - I didn't know much about them and was sucked in by the condition of the bit more than anything.

Here it is held down on the flattest hard surface readily available.

688E5306-BAB6-4976-8E84-897C70FA9A6B.jpg

The body of the bit lays flat with maybe a touch of concave but less than some of the larger American hewing axes I've handled.

Is this what you mean by being too concave all around? The blade itself seems flat with the only change being where the offset begins then to the eye.

I don't need it to be anything it isn't but without a whole lot of them to look at I feel I am benefitting from asking :)

Above or below the weld?

Sorry for all the questions- it seems flat through the weld on the cutting side right up to where the offset begins - which of course veers toward the user and away from the bit. The front side isn't as flat of course but that isn't the one making contact with the wood.

8511719A-404D-4EF4-9727-198E9E38743B.jpg

If it were an American axe I would expect to see an offset handle carved without the offset built into the structure of the eye. I'm obviously missing what would keep it from shearing wood on the cutting side, being flat all the way to the beginning of the offset:oops:

I hate the emojis on this site sometimes but that one fits lol.

It's an Ewald Möbus . . . firm began in W.W.II in 1942, ended in 1960. very small time manufacturer. . .
Ewald Möbus Söhne began in 1942?

it's on there, to be precise, right about here:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/moebus_ewald.phtml
No english though, only German. Ewald Möbus should be correct.

That page can be translated to English with the google translate function although not perfect:

"Ewald Möbus Söhne was founded in 1880. After a display of 1942, hatchets, axes, hacking and weighing machines, pull knives, hedge shears and butcher articles were produced. ".. . .
Original text:
"Die Firma Ewald Möbus Söhne wurde 1880 gegründet. Nach einer Anzeige von 1942 wurden Beile, Äxte, Hack- und Wiegemesser, Zugmesser, Heckenscheren und Metzgerartikel hergestellt. 1)"

And reference link:
1) Hinrich Heyken:
Cronenberg und seine alten Werkzeugfabriken (Teil B)

I believe this reference contains the "display of 1942" on page 76:

. . .
Uhm, it would seem so according to the text, but, thats not the case. They start massproduction during 1942.

Remember, it was wartime back then. The old guy logo is fitting, because all the young guy's would be sent to the war, so only the old remained. The big firm's all had there production lines seized to make ammo, bombs, etc, so the small company's thrived. And most of the company's got bombed anyway during W.W.II since there a all based in te Rhur. I have an old automatic watch from a company who got bombed during that time (Ruhla), also based there. It was one of the few company's that weren't bombed, so records show inventory from 1942 onward.

Long story short: Thats when mass production began!
Do you have a link for that story? TIA

Bob

Link for the bombing in general in the Ruhr:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ruhr

Most of the steel from germany was produced there. 5 months of bombing would do the trick! ;)

Waretime enlistment in germany was almost everybody they could muster. age 12 to 60 where used around berlin there were called the Volkssturm (Peoples army). Everybody knows the swastika bands around the arm. That's the only uniform they got. Training: about half a day or so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkssturm

So working during Wartime? You had to be old, otherwise you would be sent to the front. There war was on there own soil, so if you were able bodied, especially in the end, you were drafted.

As for the seizing: I know for a fact that Ruhla turned to making timing equipment for bombs and shell casings during wartime. That why 1942 was the last year of production for a long time, since the allies bombed it. They did restart though. But i cant find that link anywhere. But you can bet your ass that was needed to undergo the war. I mean: Germany as a hole, even with its allies, was small compared to the allied front. Eeven though wartimeproduction was high, there was no way in hell that they could have supported all with only the capacity they had. That's the same with car and bikemakers in the US: They all chipped in. But since the ruhr was and still is the industrial area of Germany and most of the iron was produced there it was the most obvious to change production of the company's already there.
The history of Germany's industries in general during WWII is not something I am very familiar with. However, I do know they used whoever they could (including slave labor) to keep the factories going. But we are going way off topic here.

Bob

Kevin, I think I understand what you are saying about the axe. It's not as much the shape as the possible integrity of the repair.

This guy <---(me) hasn't welded anything outside of a high school metal shop project (a horse shoe mailbox post at that) but that pattern interested me. Not sure what good ones go for but maybe that is why this one seemed so inexpensive in comparison. It was also found stateside as opposed to being shipped from Europa.

Appreciate your time. I suspect with the time difference you responded to posts until late then are hitting us up in the AM.

I've hung and used a couple of axes - just none on the wall yet lol.

Back