Back and still addicted to the Classic.

So I’m back. Formerly known as Fass/K. Coper/Jrgn and after taking a break from this forum for some time, I decided to register again.

I’m still very much a fan of the SAK but only the 58mm line, most of all the Classic SD. It’s my main knife and it does all I require in my city life. I haven’t even owned any other SAK for about a year or so.

For food I have my kitchen knives, for heavy duty cutting at home there’s a Stanley 199 in my toolbox. For everything else there’s my trusty Classic.

I paired it with a Kershaw Recap keychain tool with a strong flathead driver and bottle opener. For me and my life, it’s enough. Happy to be back!

Welcome back!
There's always room in the multitool subforum.
Classic is a great city carry. I also like my MiniChamp for little bit more to hold due thicker construction.

Welcome back. For years I've been a Rambler man, liking its caplifter and phillips driver. But since I quit drinking, I don't really need to have a caplifter on me all the time. I might have to think about going back to the Classic. It'd be good to not have to lug around all that "extra weight," you know! 😁

Welcome back. For years I've been a Rambler man, liking its caplifter and phillips driver. But since I quit drinking, I don't really need to have a caplifter on me all the time. I might have to think about going back to the Classic. It'd be good to not have to lug around all that "extra weight," you know! 😁
I'm a Ramblin' man as well. If the blade was oriented opposite the keyring on the Classic, I'd have no problem carrying that one instead.

I agree with Hashishiin, 74 mm for me. Hits the sweet spot. But I do spot around a half dozen or so of the classics, for just in case.

So I’m back. Formerly known as Fass/K. Coper/Jrgn and after taking a break from this forum for some time, I decided to register again.

I’m still very much a fan of the SAK but only the 58mm line, most of all the Classic SD. It’s my main knife and it does all I require in my city life. I haven’t even owned any other SAK for about a year or so.

For food I have my kitchen knives, for heavy duty cutting at home there’s a Stanley 199 in my toolbox. For everything else there’s my trusty Classic.

I paired it with a Kershaw Recap keychain tool with a strong flathead driver and bottle opener. For me and my life, it’s enough. Happy to be back!

Good to see ya back, bud!

I'm still the classic fan, but for a while in August when we drove out to California to see family I teamed up may old Wenger SI in a belt pouch. Returning to Texas in early September, I kept the Wenger on my belt for a few months, but just recently put it back in the glove box of the car. Just wasn't using it much. Back to my regular EDC of classic in the keyring sheath so it can be just lifted out and used while not attached to anything, and the Leatherman squirt on a little Nite-eze S-biner on the keyring. The squirt takes care of the 'heavy duty' stuff, which is not that often. Usually just used for the small pliers.

We just had the house painted inside, and after the painting crew were done we had to put the place back together. The SD tip of the classic was a great small Phillips driver and was used several times a day when it didn't feel like getting out the tool kit for a screw driver. The way Victorinox designed the SD tip with the curving sides, it fits a wide variety of Phillips screw head sizes. I can only wonder if that was actually part of the design genius of Victorinox?

Just yesterday we had this storm Ciarán. It was still warm in the office where I work so the open window was rattling. The Classic had no problem cutting up a large cardbox of copier paper from which a small piece was used to stop the window from rattling.

The way Victorinox designed the SD tip with the curving sides, it fits a wide variety of Phillips screw head sizes. I can only wonder if that was actually part of the design genius of Victorinox?

This could very well be true. In a few weeks the SD tip will be on Christmas ornament duty for dealing with all those small Philips and flathead screws that are on so many battery doors.

I too am a SAK classic addict. And unfortunately I don’t think bill or dr bob will be much help with that one. I’ve owned dozens of them. now that I think about it, I don’t think there has been a time between when I was around 8 and right now as I type this that I haven’t owned at least one SAK classic. I’ll have one, use it a bunch then it will get lost, or I’ll break it doing something stupid, or I’ll gift it to someone etc but I always end up buying another. They’re just so damn handy, and the blade is perfect for those environments where it’s less acceptable to flick out your large ZT or benchmade folder.

They made great gifts too, my most recent classic lived on my keys as per normal until it decided it wanted off while I was riding on the freeway. The next day I went to replace it and pick up an extra one for the gf. She’s by no means a knife nut but I catch her using it daily. Now she wants that sterling silver one. It’s all she needs in a knife, she isn’t hiking the jungle or fending off ninjas, she’s at a desk.

For me, it will forever be my go to secondary knife. I do often find myself needing more knife in my line of work (auto mechanic) but the classic compliments a full size folder or a small fixed blade extremely well. Great little knife.

Welcome Back! Glad to hear the Classic SD is going good for you. I went 20 years without carrying a knife and when I did get back into them it is a Classic SD and Tinker for my EDC. I actually like the 58mm scissors better then the 91mm. They are great for a quick snip. I tried a Rambler but I like the position of the nail file on the Classic better when it is on a key ring.

How do you carry your Classic?

Just loose in my right front pocket not attached to a keyring of any sort.

Smaller knives such as the Classic are often referred to as “keychain knives” because they are about the size of a standard key.

To me this doesn’t mean they ought to be carried on a keychain. In fact, this makes them pretty useless. You either have to take them of the keychain first, or deal with a bunch of keys. How impractical!

To me a “keychain knive” is just like a regular pocket knife but only a bit smaller. They shouldn’t have anything to do with keychains.

Remember that the Classic was sold without any sort of keyring up until the mid-eighties or so.

To me it’s a 21st century gentlemen’s knive in the tradition of classic Sheffield lobster patterns or those Solingen ‘Toledo’ patterns of the mid-20th-century. None of them had keyrings. They were carried the in front pocket or a jacket/coat for easy access.

Fumbling with a set of keys first is impractical.

I picked up a Classic the other day on a trip to West Virginia in a shop in Fayetteville (New River Gorge Bridge). It's translucent red. Very cool little knife, I keep it on my tv table next to my recliner.

Too small for an edc for me, it's a cool little knife, though.

For a very, VERY, short while way back when I first became a classic nut in the early 90's, I had it on my keyring. Absolutely THE worst way to carry a classic. Using the knife while attached to a bunch of dangling keys is most awkward if not the pits. Then I used a quick release catch on it. A little better. Then I made a leather sheath of fit.

It was like the dawn after a stormy night. a breakthrough. A true lightbulb moment! The idea was not mine, but I saw something similar so I took a scrap of leather and made a simple pouch style sheath that fit on the keyring. That way, all I had to do was just grab the classic's keyring and use it to pull it out of the sheath, and proceed to use it however I needed to without it being attached to anything at all. I love having it in a sheath still attached to my keys as I can't leave the house without my classic and the Fenix flashlight also attached to the keys.

I see now that Victorinox has a few options for sheath carry, and it's a great way to carry the small SAK. My daughter has been carrying one most of her life, and in the last 20 years it's been in a leather sheath I made for her. The wife also carries it like that. One Christmas I made like a dozen leather keyring sheaths for the classics and gave them out as stocking stuffers for those family that already had a classic. For those who didn't, I made sure there was a classic in the sheath. It worked to make converts out of the non knife family members who were always saying "Hey Carl, let me use your knife." Now they all have a classic in a sheath on their keys.

I’m still a Ramblin man. Just love that phillips. But wouldnt feel bad if I grabbed a classic SD by accident. I can’t say I only carry my Rambler each day, but many times I do. And it handles all of my daily tasks. Ive even broken down a few cardboard boxes with it after moving my son into college. Scissors are used all the time. Just a great knife.

I carry it in my left front pocket just underneath my ever present blue handkerchief. When inside at work or at home, I don’t always have my keys on me, so it works better to have in pocket.

Heading from Ohio to Gatlinburg, TN right now. Ill probably stop into SMKW but there really isnt any new knife I want. Maybe Ill just grab a couple more Classic SDs…

The next day I went to replace it and pick up an extra one for the gf. She’s by no means a knife nut but I catch her using it daily. Now she wants that sterling silver one. It’s all she needs in a knife, she isn’t hiking the jungle or fending off ninjas, she’s at a desk.

I have often wondered if the women folk have a boat more common sense than we do. It was my wife that got me into the classic. Until about 1995ish, I always considered the classic kind of a joke. I carried a tinker, or my old Wenger SI, or a huntsman. The dinky little classic? Nahhh!

Then one day the wife comes home from work with a SAK knock off made in a large Asian nation, that was the biggest POS I'd ever laid eyes on. The scissors folded the paper instead of cutting, and the knife blade had to saw through room temperature butter. Her boss had bought a bunch of them to hand out with their company logo on them. I couldn't take it. The next day I bought a real classic and gave to the spousal unit. Karen took it to to work and showed the boss, and to his credit he collected all the Chinese classics and sent them back, He got real Victorinox classics with the company logo on them and handled them out.

But I still didn't think much of the classic. I watched as Karen used and abused her little red SAK. After all, it was sooooo tiny it couldn't stand up to much, right? I kept expecting to hear a tinkling as it fell apart and the pieces hit the floor. It didn't happen. I took to sneaking into Karen's purse when she was in the shower to check on the thing. No, it was still in one piece. A little wobble in the SD nail file, but not bad for prying up patio stones.

I secretly bought myself a classic and set about the great experiment. For the next month, then two, then threee, I made it a point when faced with a pocket knife job, to pull the teeny tiny classic our before my Buck stockman, or even Case peanut. It cut, it unscrewed, it screwed, it snipped, it plucked, and it cut some more. It did everything I needed, with only food processing as a fail. Just not enough blade to cut through a loaf of nice fresh Italian bread or an apple pie.

Slowly, as I gained trust in the little SAK, it became my real world pocket knife. For food duty, I had kitchen knives. If I was going fishing, my old Buck 102 woodsman was on my belt. Same with hiking or camping. But for most my time in modern suburbia, where I really live, the 58mm SAK was fine, and it left room in my pockets for other stuff, like flashlight, Bic lighter, pipe, tobacco pouch, car key/house key/motorscooter key, hand sanitizer, RONCO pocket deffibrilator in case of vapor lock, arthritis meds, note pad, pencil, bandana, phone and Eagle Creek trifold wallet. My normal EDC stuff.

My wife and daughter's loyalist feeling for the classic sent me into the fanatic fan club of the classic.

Last edited:
I have a new job that takes me overseas for long periods. Knife laws vary considerably but I figure the classic should be fine just about anywhere except airports. I asked for and received a fantastic red one for my birthday this week for this duty. I am well acquainted with small knives from my very frequent peanut carry, so I know it will serve my purposes well. I really wanted the scissors, file, and tweezers so the classic was a perfect fit. It’s also not a major loss of some customs agent feels I’ve committed the unthinkable.

I borrowed my daughter’s classic for a recent backpacking/fishing trip. It was a great companion for that adventure so I have no doubts it will handle my needs on my travels. image.jpg

I've had the same beat up looking classic on my keyring for about 4 years now, and mostly kept it there for the small scissors, and the nail file. I started giving it a chance to do some knife related EDC things after reading threads like this, and color me impressed. So far, that little blade is more than enough to get me through most of my small chores at home and the office. You guys have convinced me to take it off the keys and use it more, so it's now living in my coin pocket as my primary carry this week.IMG_20231105_100933_MP.jpg

Last edited:
I started giving it a chance to do some knife related EDC things after reading threads like this, and color me impressed. So far, that little blade is more than enough to get me through most of my small chores at home and the office.
Amazing isn’t it? Over time, you’re likely going to find that larger knives are mostly overkill in an urban setting. That’s what happened to me. Eventually I gave away and sold all of my larger SAK’s.

It’s been a about a year now and I don’t miss my larger SAK’s at all. My Classic opens packages, snips tags and labels, cuts twine etc. just as well as any larger SAK. And the small blade sharpens fast, easy and gets scary sharp with just a few light swipes over my little stone.

For heavy/dirty/hard work, I have a Stanley 199. For food there’s kitchen knives. The Classic is my true EDC pocket knife and it does everything I ask from a pocket knife. Just today I used it in the supermarket to release a couple of Coke cans from their shrink wrap. And earlier in the morning it had no problems cutting up the box our new coffeemaker came in.

Back